Ivermectin Alternatives

Help Support CattleToday:

Aaron":44f7bhyl said:
What product where you using Randi? This year I used AVL as that was what was in stock at feed store - if I see any issues I will go back to Ivomec. Normally use Noromectin or Ivomec. I only use ivermectin for the sole purpose of killing lice. Fecal samples tell me almost zero internal parasites before application. But lice in January and February is what I always aim to avoid, otherwise I will find cows scratching with 4 legs in the air. The cheap Vet-O-Lice, etc. products where you need more than one application over a 2 week period, do not work for me.
I'll have to look at the brand. I do know it's not the same one as we used last year though.

True Grit Farms":ygylhgnn said:
Randi, have you tried a mix of 2oz Lambda-cyhalothrin, 7oz PBO-8, mixed with a gal of corn oil poured on the cows back? You might need to cut the corn oil with some diesel fuel in the Arctic so it will pour and travel? IDK
I'm not sure where I'd even find those ingredients. I'll have to look it up

Lucky":2efjfnee said:
Mine get lice every year when the grass starts greening up then it goes away with a rain or two. I guess it's a regional thing. It used to reslly bother me now I just watch and hope it rains quick.

The lice problem here usually starts in about January. Then goes til spring which is usually late April. Cows can get pretty naked by then. Lol.

Randi":2cuw90nn said:
True Grit Farms":2cuw90nn said:
Randi, have you tried a mix of 2oz Lambda-cyhalothrin, 7oz PBO-8, mixed with a gal of corn oil poured on the cows back? You might need to cut the corn oil with some diesel fuel in the Arctic so it will pour and travel? IDK
I'm not sure where I'd even find those ingredients. I'll have to look it up
We don't have the cold or hair that you have to contend with, but we've had lice, mite and tick problems. Angus Cowman hooked us up with that concoction years ago and it helped.

Have done battle with lice for decades. Occasionally encounter ringworm when the circumstances are right...lives in the soil. Unsightly but doesn't compromise health. Cure is tincture of time, cessation of rainy weather and plenty of sunshine in no particular order.
Here's a couple of good articles regarding lice:
https://www.beefmagazine.com/health/1101-control-lice
http://msuextension.org/publications/AgandNaturalResources/MT201002AG.pdf

FWIW...IMO best product for nailing lice is Cleanup Pour On. Unlike other products it also kills the eggs with one treatment e.g. don't have to retreat several weeks later. Downside its extremely viscous & cold weather compounds the problem. I typically use an old pour on ladle (common in the days before the advent of the syringe "guns").

Till-Hill":3n3eebqt said:
Cydectin does not work either for lice. We have been feeding safegaurd and pouring with boss last few years. These warm winters really get these cattle scratching!
Is this correct that Cydectin does not work on lice?

Randi":31tggw87 said:
Lucky":31tggw87 said:
Mine get lice every year when the grass starts greening up then it goes away with a rain or two. I guess it's a regional thing. It used to reslly bother me now I just watch and hope it rains quick.

The lice problem here usually starts in about January. Then goes til spring which is usually late April. Cows can get pretty naked by then. Lol.

Same timing here in upstate NY. I read some types of lice can cause anemia if it gets bad enough; or they scratch and don't eat as much; or scratch to the point of infection. So we're treating this year. The Eprinex and applicator weren't cheap so if they don't help, I won't be happy.

Damned internet ate my post!
Sorry to hear you can't get Cleanup Randi. As per the article I sent, PO's get lice but not the eggs/nymphs so some form of re treatment is required 2 weeks later if you want to annihilate them. Injectable avermectins get sucking lice only.
PS...enjoy your cattle and country pic Randi.

Maybe a cattle oiler with pyrethrin/permethrin would do it for you? My cows have some lice, especially on the calves if they get a bad case I'll douse a sponge with Ultrashield and rub them down with it, knocks them out pretty good

kenny thomas":2gcgb1d4 said:
Till-Hill":2gcgb1d4 said:
Cydectin does not work either for lice. We have been feeding safegaurd and pouring with boss last few years. These warm winters really get these cattle scratching!
Kenny 10-12 years ago here we would pour the dairy cows about time it started to warm up. Them cows would quit itching that day and 3-4 days would have all their winter hair gone and be shiny like the day they were born.

Doesn't seem to have any effect on lice here, but 15+ years of using it maybe has something to do with it?!

Boss works well, Cylence works really good. I used up some leftover generic Sabre I had for fly control here last Saturday. I'll find out soon if it works!

Till-Hill":1i0ioclj said:
kenny thomas":1i0ioclj said:
Till-Hill":1i0ioclj said:
Kenny 10-12 years ago here we would pour the dairy cows about time it started to warm up. Them cows would quit itching that day and 3-4 days would have all their winter hair gone and be shiny like the day they were born.

Doesn't seem to have any effect on lice here, but 15+ years of using it maybe has something to do with it?!

Boss works well, Cylence works really good. I used up some leftover generic Sabre I had for fly control here last Saturday. I'll find out soon if it works!
I don't pour anything. Everything I use is injectable.

I pour with ultra boss to control winter lice here...goats, horses, cattle and dogs. Seems to work well.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":lvfdfp90 said:
There are two different lice - biting and sucking. I believe Ivermectin does NOT kill sucking lice.

Ivermectin pour-on kills lice, both biting and sucking (assuming the lice are not resistant). The following list comes from the manufacturer's brochure for Ivomec Pour-on:

roundworms
lungworms
grubs
mange mites
horn flies (for up to 28 days!)
biting and sucking lice

It needs to be duly noted that Merial's injectable Ivomec & Ivomec Plus clearly states the product specifically kills sucking lice. No mention is made regarding its efficacy regarding biting lice.

Latest posts