Ivermectin Alternatives

Help Support CattleToday:

Randi

Reaction score
So give me some options, this is the second year we've had issues with the cows scratching like crazy after they've been poured with ivermectin. After last year's issues, we did them with Boss pour on. This year I was sceptical about using ivermectin again, but DH wanted to use it again.

So now, I think we are going to put out cattle scratchers with backrubber concentrate rather than run them all through the chute again.

But, for next year, what are the options out there? And for baby calves in the spring(we give them a shot of the injectable)for worms?

I like valbazen for calves. It is broad spectrum including flukes. It is easy to drench them. It will not treat ticks or lice and other ectoparasites. Regarding cows, I have never observed any reaction from the pour on parasiticides that are in the Ivermectin family. I use Eprinex which employs eprinomectin which is in the ivermectin family.

eaqsna.jpg

Calves also get dosed with Meloxicam oral at branding, so I wonder if the 2 drugs would be ok to use together?

Randi":j67v34hu said:
It's not a reaction to the ivermectin, but that it doesn't seem to be working.

Pour on parasiticides must be applied in strict adherence to the instructions. The primary reason for poor performance is poor application.

How do you know that it does not work? Are you taking fecal samples?

I'm not sure that a fecal would show that we have a lice problem.

As far application goes...we've only been applying pour on parasiticides for over 20 years without issue....

Cydectin does not work either for lice. We have been feeding safegaurd and pouring with boss last few years. These warm winters really get these cattle scratching!

Randi":2exqxw5o said:
I'm not sure that a fecal would show that we have a lice problem.

As far application goes...we've only been applying pour on parasiticides for over 20 years without issue....

Sorry. I thought ivermectin was not working for any of the parasites. I use Eprinex and the eprinomectin is a newer compound of ivermectin. I can tell you, I have no lice.

I'm not sure if it is or is not working for internal parasites. I'm just suspicious as it seems the lice have developed a resistance to it. And we are not the only ones in our area that have been having issues with ivermectin for lice.

Randi":2p8xrg9j said:
I'm not sure if it is or is not working for internal parasites. I'm just suspicious as it seems the lice have developed a resistance to it. And we are not the only ones in our area that have been having issues with ivermectin for lice.

There are resistance issues with ivermectin. It has been around since 1975.

Just wait for it to rain a time or two and the lice will be gone. Only way I controlled lice was to dpray the cows with a weed sprayer. It was a real pain.

Lucky":1ybfi5bb said:
Just wait for it to rain a time or two and the lice will be gone. Only way I controlled lice was to dpray the cows with a weed sprayer. It was a real pain.

Mine (well, my cows') seems to get worse with cold rainy weather?

Randi":lckpn3u2 said:
Bright Raven":lckpn3u2 said:

Yeah, this is kinda what I'm thinking..

Do yours usually get ringworm? If so, I was wondering if you were seeing resistance there as well; maybe that would be more apparent than resistance re lice.
We have never treated for lice until this winter. They got a good dose of Eprinex in late Nov. So far they look better but the next month will tell the tale.

Lucky":1x87my02 said:

Well...being tat its January, and I'm in Canada, I'm not going to hold my breath on much rain for at least 2 months... Lol. Hopefully the weather's better than last year or they're going to suffer for a long time...

boondocks":772x76yn said:
Randi":772x76yn said:
Bright Raven":772x76yn said:

Yeah, this is kinda what I'm thinking..

Do yours usually get ringworm? If so, I was wondering if you were seeing resistance there as well; maybe that would be more apparent than resistance re lice.
We have never treated for lice until this winter. They got a good dose of Eprinex in late Nov. So far they look better but the next month will tell the tale.

Ringworm is a fungus, ivermectin doesn't do anything for that. We do have ringworm, but usually just in the weaned calves over the winter.

All the cows were done within the last 2 weeks of January, we shouldn't be seeing much scratching at this point!

What product where you using Randi? This year I used AVL as that was what was in stock at feed store - if I see any issues I will go back to Ivomec. Normally use Noromectin or Ivomec. I only use ivermectin for the sole purpose of killing lice. Fecal samples tell me almost zero internal parasites before application. But lice in January and February is what I always aim to avoid, otherwise I will find cows scratching with 4 legs in the air. The cheap Vet-O-Lice, etc. products where you need more than one application over a 2 week period, do not work for me.

Randi":2uggoiuc said:
Lucky":2uggoiuc said:

Well...being tat its January, and I'm in Canada, I'm not going to hold my breath on much rain for at least 2 months... Lol. Hopefully the weather's better than last year or they're going to suffer for a long time...

Canada is along way from Texas. Should have looked at your sig before I commented.

boondocks":2qyli8aj said:
Lucky":2qyli8aj said:

Mine (well, my cows') seems to get worse with cold rainy weather?

Mine get lice every year when the grass starts greening up then it goes away with a rain or two. I guess it's a regional thing. It used to reslly bother me now I just watch and hope it rains quick.

Randi, have you tried a mix of 2oz Lambda-cyhalothrin, 7oz PBO-8, mixed with a gal of corn oil poured on the cows back? You might need to cut the corn oil with some diesel fuel in the Arctic so it will pour and travel? IDK

Latest posts