Ivermectin Alternatives

Help Support CattleToday:

We poured the bulls and bred heifers with Vetolice yesterday. The cows will be getting a scratcher and backrubber tomorrow.

Randi":2uoppai3 said:
We poured the bulls and bred heifers with Vetolice yesterday. The cows will be getting a scratcher and backrubber tomorrow.

Please let me know how it works.

We used Noromectin last year, used it again for free on part of the herd. Used Boss when we gave scour shots. Should have done it earlier as the calves showed being lousy this fall. Boss did clean up the bull herd.

Aaron":3mzp5dw1 said:
What product where you using Randi? This year I used AVL as that was what was in stock at feed store - if I see any issues I will go back to Ivomec. Normally use Noromectin or Ivomec. I only use ivermectin for the sole purpose of killing lice. Fecal samples tell me almost zero internal parasites before application. But lice in January and February is what I always aim to avoid, otherwise I will find cows scratching with 4 legs in the air. The cheap Vet-O-Lice, etc. products where you need more than one application over a 2 week period, do not work for me.

Aaron, it is the AVL stuff that we used this year. I was a different brand last year, and I'm not sure which one it was.

Last year I used the Noromectin, but I was told that the parasites get resistant to the Noromectin. I was thinking of using the Ivomec this year, but would you not get the same resistance to it as well.

If you have selected for a population of ivermectin-resistant parasites, it doesn't matter if you use Ivomec, Noromectin, or any other generic ivermectin product. They will not be effective against that population of parasites. Nor, for all intents and purposes, will any other macrocyclic lactone anthelminthic (doramectin, moxidectin, etc.)

If you have selected for a population of ivermectin-resistant parasites, it doesn't matter if you use Ivomec, Noromectin, or any other generic ivermectin product. They will not be effective against that population of parasites. Nor, for all intents and purposes, will any other macrocyclic lactone anthelminthic (doramectin, moxidectin, etc.)
Then what should I be using?