I've fallen and can;t get up!

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Anyone have one of those kinds of devices for some one that is older and maybe a bit shaky on their legs or have some kind of health issues? If so, how do you/they like it, what's the cost and which one is it?

I dont know anyone personally but the fire dept and ems here is always going out on calls to help some one get up after they pressed the alarm. Can't remember the name either . anybody got a device to assist you when you forget things??

In her late 80s and early 90s, mom fell about once a week. Dad was in his 90s, he could not lift her. My brother lives half a mile up the road. Dad would call Rob to get her up. It was a significant problem. She never hurt herself but she could not get up. That is when the family made the decision that they would fare better in a nursing home. It was the correct decision. Dad often said the nursing home lifestyle took a lot of stress off of him.

We had one for my mom, MediPendant I think was the brand. We got that one because the part you wear is also a speaker. Otherwise if she fell away in the opposite end of the house she could not hear the operator. There may be another one that does it also.

Walmart has one, sure someone else sells the same one also, that is not monitored that you can program 2 or 3 numbers in and it will call who program in. So you have no monthly fee. I will say the monitored one was pretty good about if they can't understand the person they call 911, you can tell them an order in which to call people before calling 911. Also had a lockbox with house key and they give the code to 911 so they can access house.

This thread really hits close to home. My dad hasn't fell yet that we know of, but it's just a matter of time. We're trying to figure out how to care for him and that's about impossible. He knows he's at risk but he's going to do whatever he feels like doing. And I can't see a nursing home in his future, it would be suicide. He doesn't like it when I go down and stay with him, and he won't stay up here with us. Dealing with the elderly is a tough ordeal, especially when it's your family.

Life Alert I believe is a brand. My mom has been gone for a few years now, she would always call me when the need arose. Caring for your parents can try all of the emotions and patience you have. Mom at the end would ask me why she was still here, dad was gone and everyone she knew. She would tell me she just wanted to go home. Mom wanted to just stay in her house and not be a burden, she had convalescence for a time at a nursing home and then came home. I will never forget the call she made when she had gotten up to make lunch and started walking without her walker. I found her on the floor and she just looked at me with a resignation to the realization that she was going back and would die there. No matter how frustrating it can be as they go thru their final season of life just grin and bear it, be pleasant and tell them you love them. When they are dead you can look back and have no regrets for something you said out of frustration/ exhaustion.

M-5":gs54j3kq said:
I dont know anyone personally but the fire dept and ems here is always going out on calls to help some one get up after they pressed the alarm. Can't remember the name either . anybody got a device to assist you when you forget things??
My remembering device is called "wife"

A friend of mines mother fell and it took almost a day to be found. Broke her wrist and her ankle. Just got me to thinking about if they were worth the cost. I remember years ago I used to laugh at the "I;ve fallen and can;t get up" commercials. Not too funny to me anymore.

I have asked my mom to carry her phone around with her at all times. If she does have an accident and can't call someone, she can hit a button on the cell phone and it will send a message to 5 people alerting them. Plenty of apps available to download on a phone.

dun":zqcobaiw said:
Anyone have one of those kinds of devices for some one that is older and maybe a bit shaky on their legs or have some kind of health issues? If so, how do you/they like it, what's the cost and which one is it?

I have one through ADT where my house alarm is through for my grandma its called guardian or companion or something. Its like 25.00 month and it works she has a button to press around her neck if she needs emergency services if you want I can take pics later and show you what im talking about. The are worth it IMO .

MIL, has dementia and we got one for her. I think its Life Alert. It was hard at first to keep her from setting it down and losing it but now she freaks out when she can't find it and keeps it on her most all the time. We also got her a cell phone. I can't recall the cost of this but it wasn't much when you look at the cost of the sitters who stay with her from sunup till bedtime but at least she's happy being able to stay at home. She fell the other day and chose to use the cell phone rather than the Life Alert but she had both on her at the time.

Sometimes I can be a mile out in the woods and no one knows where I am, As I get older it does concern me if something happened how long it would take to find me.

Jogeephus":353oq5rv said:
MIL, has dementia and we got one for her. I think its Life Alert. It was hard at first to keep her from setting it down and losing it but now she freaks out when she can't find it and keeps it on her most all the time. We also got her a cell phone. I can't recall the cost of this but it wasn't much when you look at the cost of the sitters who stay with her from sunup till bedtime but at least she's happy being able to stay at home. She fell the other day and chose to use the cell phone rather than the Life Alert but she had both on her at the time.

Well, she is doing better than me. I can still remember the species name of the Northern Fence Lizard but I cannot remember where I laid my hammer down 2 minutes ago.

Margonme":ircplws7 said:
Well, she is doing better than me. I can still remember the species name of the Northern Fence Lizard but I cannot remember where I laid my hammer down 2 minutes ago.

Its an odd disease for sure. She can remember older stuff but hardly anything new. But routines and things ever present seem to be helpful. We were going to take her car from her after she rode to town but she began freaking out so I pulled the battery out of it a few months ago so she can still see her car and she's content. Also have to switch the breaker on for the oven for it to work so she doesn't burn the house down. Lots of things to worry about with her. Sometimes I wonder if this Life Alert thing helps us more than it does her by giving us some peace of mind.

cowboy43":ircplws7 said:
Sometimes I can be a mile out in the woods and no one knows where I am, As I get older it does concern me if something happened how long it would take to find me.

That's my biggest fear. The thought of buzzards picking my eyes out before anyone finds me makes me cringe. I know, I'll be dead and it won't matter but I hate buzzards and the thought of this haunts me.

red angus 2010":19jbv3nc said:
Life Alert I believe is a brand. My mom has been gone for a few years now, she would always call me when the need arose. Caring for your parents can try all of the emotions and patience you have. Mom at the end would ask me why she was still here, dad was gone and everyone she knew. She would tell me she just wanted to go home. Mom wanted to just stay in her house and not be a burden, she had convalescence for a time at a nursing home and then came home. I will never forget the call she made when she had gotten up to make lunch and started walking without her walker. I found her on the floor and she just looked at me with a resignation to the realization that she was going back and would die there. No matter how frustrating it can be as they go thru their final season of life just grin and bear it, be pleasant and tell them you love them. When they are dead you can look back and have no regrets for something you said out of frustration/ exhaustion.

+1 Good Post

cowboy43":1h9zqar4 said:
I stay out there so much and so late, my question has always been "How long before someone (wife) even starts to look for me?"

greybeard":u2zdadgm said:
cowboy43":u2zdadgm said:
I stay out there so much and so late, my question has always been "How long before someone (wife) even starts to look for me?"

I'm not that old yet, but you never know what can happen, especially when working with cattle or machinery. I try to always let my wife know where I'll be and about when I expect to be home just in case.

cowboy43":2u0wuw2h said:

My son makes fun of me but I have a black fanny pack that is on me at all times when I'm out working, checking cows, mowing, etc. In it I keep my cell phone; a few clean ziplock bags (to put cell phone in if it rains); my multitool knife; a bandaid and a clean paper towel; and eye drops (for when hay blows in my eyes, which is every dang day).

Not stylish, don't care ;-)

Jogeephus":310bs55p said:
. I know, I'll be dead and it won't matter but I hate buzzards and the thought of this haunts me.

"Buzzards gotta eat same as the worms."

This topic seems of more value everyday. Grandparents are getting weaker everyday. Mamaw fell last week at church and almost again coming up from the storm cellar the same week. She's 85. He's 89. I expect to get a call to come help anytime. I got that call with my other papaw right before he died. It's hard to see them that weak after seeing how strong they always were. I can't imagine any of them saying in a nursing home except my other mamaw. That's where she wants to be at the end so she's not a burden. Her words not mine.

Craig Miller":3dhdx25q said:
Jogeephus":3dhdx25q said:
. I know, I'll be dead and it won't matter but I hate buzzards and the thought of this haunts me.

"Buzzards gotta eat same as the worms."

This topic seems of more value everyday. Grandparents are getting weaker everyday. Mamaw fell last week at church and almost again coming up from the storm cellar the same week. She's 85. He's 89. I expect to get a call to come help anytime. I got that call with my other papaw right before he died. It's hard to see them that weak after seeing how strong they always were. I can't imagine any of them saying in a nursing home except my other mamaw. That's where she wants to be at the end so she's not a burden. Her words not mine.

OK, Jose. :lol: :lol:

Latest posts