Its weaning time again

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus":2rkanfsz said:
Thanks all. We are proud of her and appreciate all the people who helped her along the way. She's had some wonderful teachers.

ga.prime":2rkanfsz said:
my youngest is finishing high school next week and going off to school too in the fall.

Bitter sweet is it not? I don't know what we are going to do with all the children gone. And what are they going to do without us?!
Yes, bittersweet is right. Life goes on. My son is going to UGA also. I'll tell him to be on the lookout for the Bug!

Do you have anymore in the home or will you be battling the empty nest syndrome?

Years ago my wife talked about us growing old together and sitting in rocking chairs alone together in our golden years. For her birthday or something I bought two rocking chairs and they've bee waiting on the porch for us ever since. Now it looks like she is going to get her wish but with both our lives being centered around our kids I haven't a clue what the he77 we are going to do sitting on the porch together or what we'll be talking about. Am thinking I might need to get an Ipad or something. :oops:

No more at home here after this one leaves in the fall, Jo. There's been one or two or three with us every day since 1987. We're heading into uncharted territory. The problem I find with porch sitting is there's no air conditioning out there.

ga.prime":1k4b13ic said:
No more at home here after this one leaves in the fall, Jo. There's been one or two or three with us every day since 1987. We're heading into uncharted territory. The problem I find with porch sitting is there's no air conditioning out there.

I suspect we could arrange it where at least three days out of the week we are sitting at the sale barn. Pretty cool in there and I've caught some good naps there on occasion. Just not sure what to do with the other four days.

Jogeephus":1zon8m6h said:
ga.prime":1zon8m6h said:

I suspect we could arrange it where at least three days out of the week we are sitting at the sale barn. Pretty cool in there and I've caught some good naps there on occasion. Just not sure what to do with the other four days.
Joe don't know what you have available in your area nor how much real spare time you'll have but volunteer work is very rewarding and seems different entities are always needing more folks. I volunteer at the VA Hosp. in Waco on Thursdays and leave feeling like I should be paying them just for the priviledge. Also sort of "fill in" in needed with the "Meals on Wheels" program.

Jogeephus":16iln4sf said:
ga.prime":16iln4sf said:

Be careful about napping at the sale barn. I dozed off at the Hockley sale once and when my head dropped the auctioneer took my bid.

Thank you Jo, for giving your daughter's teachers credit too. We have a lot of good teachers who are often overlooked. My daughter had great teachers too and she formed lasting friendships with a lot of them just as I did with my teachers. Parents and teachers should work together to educate students and teach them valuable life lessons.
I did not want my daughter to go directly to UGA, but she would have it no other way. Our high school is much smaller than yours and she did just fine. I thought for sure I would have to find a teaching job in Athens so I could be there with her. That never came close to happening.
I just know she will love UGA and Athens. It is just something special about it. I miss my weekend trips up there. We had some great times. Even met Mark Richt at a restaurant, and my daughter said not to say anything to him, but he stopped at our table and we had a nice little visit. She attended the same church that he does and we would see him and his wife there when we went.
You see I still love to run on about those good days. You and your wife will enjoy this time also. It will not be easy letting go. I only had one and I finally learned to let go and be thankful that she is happy and doing so well in her work. She often said, " Who would have ever thought a little girl from this small town in GA would end up doing a specialty residency at Cleveland Clinic?"
You too may be surprised where your daughter ends up. I wish her the very best.

Thanks Williamsv, it will be hard though and gonna take some adjustment.

TB, I'll probably step up my work with the Sheriff's Boys Ranch. Makes me feel good whenever I can do something for them and they like my food.

O,quit feelin' sorry yourself. The world needs this young woman. A background in the chicken biz is pretty rare these days. A background in good sense is rarer. It's all gonna be OK.

Jogeephus":3v80k31m said:

TB, I'll probably step up my work with the Sheriff's Boys Ranch. Makes me feel good whenever I can do something for them and they like my food.

......and the Sheriff lets you out for a few hours so you can cook for them?

Sheriffs' Ranch will be a great way to spend some time helping young people who really need it. I try to support them and their work all that I can with memorials during the year. They help a lot of young people whom without them would not have a chance. A really great organization.

3waycross":3uu09wzp said:
Jogeephus":3uu09wzp said:

......and the Sheriff lets you out for a few hours so you can cook for them?

Only if I wear the shock collar and only for a couple hours at a time. And I have to stay in my orange push up jump suit. :cowboy:

Williamsv":3uu09wzp said:
Sheriffs' Ranch will be a great way to spend some time helping young people who really need it. I try to support them and their work all that I can with memorials during the year. They help a lot of young people whom without them would not have a chance. A really great organization.

Yeah, they are a great bunch of people and some good kids who got a rotten deal.

I apologize if I'm gloating but this is graduation week and I have been busy going to graduation functions and my daughter keeps making my heart swell with pride. The Bug was asked to open one event in prayer and stood in front of everyone and gave a wonderful prayer she wrote herself. She's definitely got better nerves than me.

Last night was honors night and she walked away with these awards but the most prized to me was the Principals Award. I was floored.

11067767_1021481354542647_4568908598727112300_n.jpg

I am so pleased with all her scholarships and awards. She's wanting a new car but I said no because there is nothing wrong with the car she's driving.

Besides, I have something better for her. Something she knows nothing about but something I think she has earned...or can earn if she plays her cards right. When she was born we started a 529 College Savings plan and I plan on giving her all of this if she can continue to keep her grades up and maintain her scholarships. As it is, her academic scholarships it will pretty much pay for her college and if she can maintain them there will be a windfall at the end which I could keep or give to her. I choose to give it to her when she fully earns it.

With this windfall she can buy a house or she can use it to put herself through graduate school or whatever she chooses ... we are hoping vet or med school. The important thing is she will not be burdened with debt if she keeps her nose clean. Though she is smart, I don't think she understands finance and this is something I need to teach her and teach her well so she can appreciate the value of what this could mean for her future if she plays her cards right. She also needs to understand it wasn't always easy for us to put this money aside and it took sacrifice but we did it for love and because we wanted what was best for her. Since she is a shrewd business person, I think being aware of this potential windfall will help keep her eye on the prize because at this point its all on her and I've done all I know to do and she needs to understand she is the one who will ultimately lose if she doesn't apply herself as she should.

I may be wrong but I think my telling her this will force her to see she now has skin in the game and its no longer about us its about HER. Its about HER future and if she plays her cards right it will surely be a blessed future and much easier than I ever had and that has always been my goal for my children.

Congratulations Jogeephus.
Here's my daughter's new car it's her graduation present from mom and dad. We're having trouble with our daughter's math teacher. We should of changed teachers at the halfway point. But my wife didn't want to stir things up. Now she has made her first B in her life. And now the Zell Miller scholarship is in question.

HG, great looking car. You are making me feel like a tightwad. Hope your daughter gets the ZM scholarship worked out. That's a good one for sure. Have you noticed how with the implementation of the lottery to make tuition more affordable its increased about three fold? Go figure that one.

Thanks 3-Way. BTW - seems like your outfit ought to have some sort of scholarship thing. :lol2:

She said she can also get the Zell Miller scholarship with a 1200 or better on the SAT test or a 26 or better on the ACT. She just told me she can score a 1200 easily, so don't sweat it dad. Jogeephus she's wanting to check out Valdosta State now, I don't know where that came from. If Teal totals her car out hitting a deer I'm sure you'll come up with something also. That's our job.

Latest posts