Its weaning time again

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Its weaning time again and I am afraid I'm the one that will be bawling this time. Things just aren't going to be the same without The Bug around and she is the last child to leave the house. I honestly don't know what I will do and I hope the Lord gives my wife the strength to suffer this separation. But that's the way things are meant to be and I know she will do fine without us. But shyt, its gonna be lonely around here with all the kids gone and the clock is ticking.

Took The Bug to an open house at the university she wants to attend. Its a very good school but its further away than I would have liked but this was her first choice and she has worked hard so who am I to squabble over the distance? We spent the day at the university and while the parents talked to administration she was able to spend time visiting with the science professors and seeing the classrooms and getting to know the professors. She liked the campus and the faculty but there were a lot of things they required of her before they would accept her and she spent the next week getting her application together.

After submitting her application it was hardly a week before she received a phone call while she was in class informing her that she was accepted. She was so thrilled and when she came home she played a joke on the both of us when she gave us the good news. We were thrilled that she was accepted in a such a good school. A few days later we received a letter of confirmation and their offer of over $30K in scholarships if she would attend their university. (Big relief for me being I'm flipping the bill for one in med school)

For her to earn that much scholarship money was wonderful and I know grades were a contributing factor but I think she must have really wooed the professors during the visit to make such an impression. Of course she also had to provide references from her teachers at high school too. I happened to get my hands on this one written by one of her favorite teachers. This teacher taught two of my children and is the type teacher that makes such a great mark on a student's life. Both my children love him and have been so inspired by him. I can't say enough good about this man.

Ladies and gentlemen,

XXXXXX is among the brightest students I have taught, but her value as a student and a person transcends raw intelligence. XXXX studies and does what is required to excel and often far beyond what is required. In a class setting she participates with keen insight, always respecting others' views while tenaciously defending her own point of view. She is often like having a second teacher in a room because she is always prepared and is always among the first to understand a difficult concept – all while being willing to help others understand. This is a particularly admirable quality because XXXXX and the kids in her classes are very competitive; nevertheless, XXXXX is always generous with her insight and is willing to help students she competes with for class ranking.

I have coached XXXXX for three years in Mock Trial; she has been my anchoring attorney for two years, responsible for laying out her side's over-all case arguments. Her talent is considerable, and her integrity is unassailable; she is always prepared. She manages to squeeze in Mock Trial while also participating in several other activities – including soccer, band, and Junior Board, which is a rather unique local honor given to the top five juniors and seniors at our high-school by a local bank in which students learn about the professional world and learn to serve others as well. XXXXXX thinks deeply, often inquiring into philosophical questions: "What makes an act moral?" is a discussion topic one might expect to have with her.

There are no better students than XXXXX, and I rather doubt there are any better people. I always attempt to be perfectly honest when writing a letter of recommendation and this one is challenging in as much as searching for adequate praise for this remarkable young woman, XXXXXXX, will inevitably fall short of what she deserves to have said of her. Therefore, without any hesitation I enthusiastically offer my highest recommendation for XXXXXXX, and I am secure in the knowledge that whatever institution she associates with will be better for having her. Should you need any further information, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

XXXXXXXX

English Language Arts

XXXXXXXXX

Wasn't so long ago when I posted this picture of The Bug. This is how I think of her. But she is a young lady now and whether I like it or not she is about to leave the nest. Its gonna be tough on me and he77 on my wife but we gotta let her go and let her make her mark on world. If she doesn't reach her goal as the first woman to walk on Mars I think she will make her mark in something else. Something grand.

Can you be happy and sad at the same time?

Very sweet, Jo. Congratulations to your fine young 'un. I'm sure she will do well, and it's nice to see your young folks going into the sciences (for a few years there everyone wanted to be Wall Street bankers!). And the scholarships will sure help! When does she fly the coop?

Wow...... Congrats to bug for all the scholarships. Sounds like you and the wife have a lot to be proud of. I hope you and her will find things to keep you busy together. Good luck to bug AND you and your wife. My kids are growing up fast. Mine are still in grade school. My oldest just moved up to our youth group in church. THAT was tough on my wife and I. She is becoming a teenager. Ughhh. I can only imagine how we will fill when they leave for college.

You are blessed my friend. The nut doesn't fall far from the tree. Congratulations to both of you.

Thanks.

She'll graduate high school this spring and leave us in the fall. Things will definitely be different without her.

They grow up so fast. Too fast. I'm just proud none of my children were like me.

Thank you to all of you ! It is a very hard job to be a parent and an even harder job to be a good kid . The world thanks you as well and if we can have more parents like you and most of the CT members on here that raise amazing hard working young people, we all may just have a future . :tiphat:

As far as an empty nest goes you can always plan more hunting trips with 3waycross ! :tiphat:

hillsdown":1yeslsua said:
Thank you to all of you ! It is a very hard job to be a parent and an even harder job to be a good kid . The world thanks you as well and if we can have more parents like you and most of the CT members on here that raise amazing hard working young people, we all may just have a future . :tiphat:

As far as an empty nest goes you can always plan more hunting trips with 3waycross ! :tiphat:
Well said, and just to expand on that a little and vent A LOT ..... I am tired of people complaining about "kids these days" and "kids keep getting worse and worse", "these kids are out of control, what is the world coming to" .... a lot of "these kids" don't have much of a chance to succeed or even have a glimpse of hard work and self respect because of their parents. It starts with the parents, and more fault should be on them than on the kids in most situations IMO.
Way to go Jo, btw, I dread what you're feeling even though I still have fourteen years till it happens to us :cry2:

The reward for being a successful parent just doesn't seem fair. But it sure sounds like she's prepared to leave the nest, not just a smart kid going off to college. That's something to be proud of.

Congrats Joe on raising a fine young woman. They say the apple doesn't fall far from the tree and this is no exception! :tiphat:

That was a wonderful and heart warming letter from her teacher.
Bug is a direct result of good genes and great parenting! Congrats! You should be very proud of her, but also of you and your wife! :clap:

She must be an exceptional young woman, you and your wife should be proud.

Of course you can be happy and sad at the same time and there's even a word for it: bittersweet.

When she leaves for college your heart will be full of pride but also grieving for the end of a stage in all your lives. A bittersweet moment.

Thanks for sharing that with us. It is too easy to fall into the mindset of "kids these days" negativity. What's this world coming to, and all that. Now I feel better!

Well congrats Jo on you 2 raising her right and congrats to her for the hard work and scholarship.

Now, you can do some little things around the place ya always wanted to do..........
[youtube]oWBV494p9Ks[/youtube]

;-)

When people say "kids these days...", it's because of the parents you see in the "people of walmart" photos... And though there are exceptions, the apple usually doesn't fall far from the tree.
I know you're really proud of the bug, and rightfully so! May she keep focus through school and not get too brainwashed in the process ;)

I know what you mean. My daughter (I still call her "Shorty", although she's 19 years old, and probably 5' 7") is at Texas A&M, but at least that's close enough that I get to see her occasionally. She's helping pay her way by waiting tables at a local restaurant, so my wife and I find ourselves going out to eat more than we used to.

But there is one thing to look forward to. My son graduated from the University of Texas last year, and is married and on his own. It sure is nice to have him out of my pocket.

Your chest must swell with pride when you think of what she has accomplished at such a young age. Congrats to Mr and Mrs Jogeephus, as well as the Bug...may her dreams come true :D

Jo, XXXX is a great reflection of her upbringing and my hat's off to you and the Misses. They sat the proof's in the pudding.

Latest posts