It's Time

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
To stop subsidizing corn period, we are forced to pay tax dollars to pee poor farmers, we are forced to buy there ethanol while not allowing other countries to import.
Now for the final kick in the groin fertilizer prices here are at 450 a ton. Talking with my distributer he said it is all going north for 2 million more acres to go into subsidized corn.
This is going to run the cost of producing hay to 40 bucks a bale.
How many of you cattlemen think the government is going to subsidize you to keep producing cattle and hay.
This is pork barrel politics at it's finest.

Crowderfarms":2xfesnzv said:
The Pot's fixin to get stirred off the burner with this one CB.
yea the crapp is gonna hitt the fan.an start flying.i bet it wont take long to get locked.

Do the corn farmers still get as much in the couter cyclical program with the prices's as high as they are?
If they do - we subsidize in growing corn.
Then subsidize in ethanol.
Maybe they will start subsidizing people for the cost of driving.

No - better idea - let's subsidize general mills to make cherrios cheaper.

rgv":209n1jo5 said:
No - better idea - let's subsidize general mills to make cherrios cheaper.

Yea, that way more kids could get potty trained. :lol:

Wouldn't work though because g.m. would pocket the money.

Caustic Burno":1557jqd6 said:
To stop subsidizing corn period, we are forced to pay tax dollars to pee poor farmers, we are forced to buy there ethanol while not allowing other countries to import.
Now for the final kick in the groin fertilizer prices here are at 450 a ton. Talking with my distributer he said it is all going north for 2 million more acres to go into subsidized corn.
How many of you cattlemen think the government is going to subsidize you to keep producing cattle and hay.
This is pork barrel politics at it's finest.

To be short and to the point.....I totally agree!

Caustic Burno":1z67wyoo said:
Now for the final kick in the groin fertilizer prices here are at 450 a ton.

Talking with my distributer he said it is all going north for 2 million more acres to go into subsidized corn.

When mine cost $375 a ton I choked hard. Had to buy it tho. No choice since this is written right in the lease agreement. Over the last two years, 40 bucks a bale is cheap here since you had to irrigate.

Pork barrel has been out of hand. Working a full time job, making a few nickels on my investments, making a few more with my hobby, and then some with the Cat and hoe, then turn around and give most of what's left to Uncle Sam.

Crowder is right. This one will get locked. The truth hurts way too much.

It would probably be a good time to elimate the subsidies, since most of them (in $) are price support and won't even be used this year. But think ahead a little.
If subsidies are eliminated, corn will never be cheap again. When corn was $1.75/bu the price supports kept that cheap corn moving into the market instead of being locked up in bins.
Many a banker lent money on production loans for corn because the program at least guaranteed a price and crop insurance guaranteed some production. Those loans won't get made with no support net, plantings will reduce to only the acres the market will support. Not a bad idea, actually.

We can get our fur all stirred up, but the corn farmer had one good year--last year (2006). Last year he bought inputs at the old price and sold the corn at the new (higher) price.

2007: inputs are MUCH higher. The price of corn has been bid into the price of production.

$40/roll hay is probably too low for the market. I think I read there are 15 million acres more corn than last year. Some of those were surely producing hay last year.

Politically, cattle folk need to make sure the meat prices will be able to go up. I'm old enough and still have nightmares about the price freeze Nixon put on in the '70's.
Grocery prices are going to rise now like they did back then, I think. There will be political pressure to freeze prices. Input costs never freeze, of course.

The federal government has no business getting involved with subsidies or welfare. Unless its a national security concern. The fact that they do creates all the pork barrel spending that we have now. There is nothing in the system to stop this. Legislators are bribed for their vote if their state gets xyz subsidy. Their are bribed by special interest groups for their vote. These guys need contributions to get reelected right. They get paid vacations to Hawaii to study coconut farming and the fishing industry. Or travel to France for a European economic study. Its all bribery and I don't see a way fix it. Why are we using corn for ethanol when sugarkane is cheaper to use. Because of the special interest lobby. Got off on a tangent there. The free market system / Capitalism works best. This is a proven fact. Whenever the Government starts messing with it, it only causes problems. The Soviet Union controlled all aspects of their economy and we know what happened to them.

Walt