Its Time

Help Support CattleToday:

Capt Call":1qpjby5n said:
The time has come to stop all foreign aid today, our people are in trouble on the gulf coast. What country has offered us help? It is time to quite sending our tax dollars to countries that hate our guts.

Write your Congressman

http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW.shtml

Capt. Call

You must be watching a different news channel. You're likely going to be annoyed at me but here goes.

The very first to line up as follows - please note the date:

Statement by the Government of Canada in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina

August 30, 2005 -- The Government of Canada today issued the following statement in support of those who have endured the devastation wrought by Hurricane Katrina in the United States:

"On behalf of all Canadians, I wish to extend our heartfelt condolences to those who have lost loved ones as a result of Hurricane Katrina, as well as our sympathies to those who have suffered great losses and personal hardship," said Deputy Prime Minister Anne McLellan. "During this difficult time, we are offering our support to our friends and neighbours."

The Deputy Prime Minister added that she has contacted U.S. Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff and advised him that Canada stands ready to provide assistance if needed. In addition, the Minister of Health, Ujjal Dosanjh, has directed the Public Health Agency of Canada to contact the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and offer any assistance that may be helpful, such as emergency medical supplies contained in the National Emergency Stockpile System.

Now, if you would watch the news even more, you would know that your northern neighbour has several mobile water purification plants (large ones at that) and I believe it is two mobile military hospitals on stand by - waiting for the request which will probably come when Homeland Security and the U.S. Army Corp of Engineers has the plans in place for their acceptance. Soon.

Disease control and drugs - vaccines and such are being readied in the national stockpile in event of any out breaks of whatever comes.

Canada's tiny military also has a mobile Disaster Relief Kit that comes with something like 100 doctors, nurses, contstruction and utility technicians complete with equipment - generators, construction and utility repair - these kits are called DART - and they have more than one - all to be moved within 48 hours of being told where to put them

Do not be so parochial. Please look at the international news channels a bit more. The Brits and Aussies have also lined up and wait their turn as per your country's executive direction.

Be advised this would not likely make the news on ANY media station in the U.S. - there is far more important stuff to broadcast.

Forget the third world nations with billions - the Kuwait, Saudis, Qatar, United Arab Emirates and so on will stand by and watch.

Please in future remember you have friends in this world who despite strong disagreements that naturally happen in an international basis - WILL NOT stand by and watch a friend and neighbour suffer.

Bez'

Canadian leaders, relief agencies stand by to help U.S. after Katrina

Lisa Arrowsmith
Canadian Press

September 1, 2005

EDMONTON (CP) - Canadian officials have started getting ready to send whatever type of aid the United States requires to help with the aftermath of hurricane Katrina, Deputy Prime Minister Anne McLellan said Wednesday.

"We want to reassure the president and the people of the United States that we are their best friends and their neighbour, and we will be there to help them in a situation that truly is without parallel in our country or theirs," said McLellan.

"Yesterday, the Department of Human Health Services in the U.S. contacted our public health agency and asked for an inventory of emergency supplies that, if they need them, we could send at a moment's notice."

That inventory was completed Wednesday.

American officials are still assessing their needs, but in coming days Canada will be prepared to send everything from water purification systems to the Canadian military's Disaster Assistance Response Team.

Asked by reporters about the effect of Katrina on the Canadian economy - such as sharply higher oil prices as a result of supply disruptions - McLellan acknowledged there could be an impact but stressed she wants to focus on the human tragedy of the disaster at this moment.

Federal Finance Minister Ralph Goodale didn't put any limits on the financial or in-kind contributions Canada could make to the rescue and reconstruction efforts.

"If we've got it, and the Americans need it, obviously, we'll be there," he told the Regina Leader-Post.

Goodale cited the Prairie Farm Rehabilitation Administration as a possible way in which Canada can help in the re-building effort.

"PFRA is one of the pre-eminent agencies in the world on waterflows," he said.

"Obviously, this is a human tragedy of enormous proportions, and the government of Canada and the people of Canada will want to be of every possible assistance we can be to our neighbors at a time of great distress."

Prime Minister Paul Martin was set to speak by phone Thursday with U.S. President George W. Bush about what Canada can do to help the reconstruction effort.

B.C.'s provincial Heavy Urban Search and Rescue team was leaving for Lafayette, La. on Wednesday.

The state's goveror's office had requested help from the team, Solicitor General John Les said.

"We're the first non-U.S.-based team to be requested," Les said. "They're going to be helping as many people as they can."

The 45-person Vancouver-based team is trained in urban disaster relief and had been dispatched to Southeast Asia after the Boxing Day tsunami.

Elsewhere in Canada, Ontario is looking into whether its medical and hydro workers can help, and Premier Dalton McGuinty spoke to the U.S. ambassador to Canada asking what the province can do.

"We stand at the ready to assist," said McGuinty, who added Ontario could help with its Emergency Medical Assistance Team.

Relief efforts by Canadians in disaster zones are largely organized in Ottawa, but McGuinty said he wants to know from Ambassador David Wilkins what specifically Ontario can do.

Manitoba Premier Gary Doer said officials with Manitoba Hydro have also offered to send staff to the affected areas to help restore power.

At least 125 people have died in the severely flooded states of Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama, while New Orleans is a swamp with about 80 per cent of the city under water.

A spokeswoman for the Canadian Red Cross said lists of volunteers experienced in large-scale disasters were being assembled.

Suzanne Charest said agency officials expect a handful of volunteers may be ready to travel to Louisiana and Mississippi sometime this weekend.

"If you look at the impact of hurricane Katrina, we'll be sending well over 100 Canadian Red Cross workers in the coming weeks," Charest said from Ottawa.

Most of the volunteers will help spell off exhausted American relief workers in the coming months, she said. The Canadians will put in three weeks of gruelling, emotionally draining work that could see them huddling in shelters in sleeping bags along with those left homeless.

"They'll be interviewing families to see what kind of resources they need. Maybe they've lost their house, they need clean-up kits, they need financial support, they can't work."

A spokeswoman for Mennonite Disaster Service in Winnipeg said its sister agency in the U.S. is sending three or four investigators to Mississippi where they hope to set up a base camp for volunteers to help rebuild homes.

More than 500 Canadian Mennonites may eventually be sent to the U.S., said Lois Nickel of the church-based relief organization.

The first priority is to cut up downed trees and get them off power lines and roads, she said.

"Some folks from surrounding states that volunteer with us are hoping to go into parts of Alabama already this weekend to do chainsawing," said Nickel.

"Up here, our job right now is to take calls for donations."

Some aid was already heading south Wednesday. A crew of 10 hydro-line workers from Chatham-Kent Hydro in Ontario was on its way to help restore power to homes and businesses.

Bez,
Glad to read your posts. As lopsided as our media is, they were reporting on Fox News yesterday, that Germany had offered assistance, and virtually no mention of Canada.
Thanks for setting it all straight. We all needed to hear it!

Oldtimer":1leoqbin said:
President Chavez of Venezuela offered Jessie Jackson to aid the heating fuel needs of the poor!! ;-) :roll:

Chavez also offered refined gasoline from his largest refinery. And, he was the first one publically noted for offering aid. Big surprise after Pat Robertson's comments.

I don't know. He could use the F word like others who support him. Scream it at the VP.

Scotty

Crowderfarms":39ksno1l said:
Medic24":39ksno1l said:
Ok, Dusty, you got my curiousity up....what would Mr. Pat have to say about anything these days? :?:
Pat Robertson said Chavez should be assasinated.

And you call me frustrated Crowder? :lol:

flaboy":2qmmbt7k said:
Crowderfarms":2qmmbt7k said:
Medic24":2qmmbt7k said:
Ok, Dusty, you got my curiousity up....what would Mr. Pat have to say about anything these days? :?:

Nah, not that frustrated Flaboy, have'nt heard you ask for anyone to be asassinated YET...BUT I know your Northern friends will be headed South real soon. You'll have to give us a report in November.You might be asking Mr. Robertson for a "Hit" ;-)

Crowderfarms":30rmvzd3 said:
flaboy":30rmvzd3 said:
Crowderfarms":30rmvzd3 said:
Medic24":30rmvzd3 said:

Nah, not that frustrated Flaboy, have'nt heard you ask for anyone to be asassinated YET...BUT I know your Northern friends will be headed South real soon. You'll have to give us a report in November.You might be asking Mr. Robertson for a "Hit" ;-)

Yeah, that's what I am afraid of. With the gulf coast shut down I may get more birds in here than normal. This may make me go postal this year.

Someone told me down there that the only difference between a snowbird and a canoe is that the canoe tips.Maybe you could find a way to make some $ off em'. Flaboy's Bed and Breakfast.Too bad they wont eat grits..

Crowderfarms":212cd770 said:
Someone told me down there that the only difference between a snowbird and a canoe is that the canoe tips.Maybe you could find a way to make some $ off em'. Flaboy's Bed and Breakfast.Too bad they wont eat grits..

Well I could set up a tour guide service where I take them out in the wild to show them all the neat stuff out there. THEN LEAVE THEM THERE! :p

Capt Call":3bgey552 said:
The time has come to stop all foreign aid today, our people are in trouble on the gulf coast. What country has offered us help? It is time to quite sending our tax dollars to countries that hate our guts.

Write your Congressman

http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW.shtml

The last report that I read said over 90 countries have offered aid to the US in the aftermath of Katrina.

I believe Cuba even had over 1000 doctors and medical workers ready to be sent. Were just waiting to be asked.

Crowderfarms":xtx016dy said:
Bez,
Glad to read your posts. As lopsided as our media is, they were reporting on Fox News yesterday, that Germany had offered assistance, and virtually no mention of Canada.
Thanks for setting it all straight. We all needed to hear it!

Fox News---lopsided media?? There's calling the kettle black.