It's Snowing !!

Help Support CattleToday:

Joy of Texas

Reaction score
Burrrr,it's a cold one this morning. We have snow flurry's. I guess it's still to warm for them to stick,but they are there .
It figures, I have 4 heifers that are due any time ,so today will probably be it. Yeah !

I said I would take moisture anyway I could get it. :banana: A whole 1/10 of an inch of rain/sleet/snow. Hope it doesn't have to last 3 weeks like the last 1/10th.

dont worry joy the snow wont stick to the ground.an youll may even have a new calf or 2.

1982vett":2v9uurb6 said:
I said I would take moisture anyway I could get it. :banana: A whole 1/10 of an inch of rain/sleet/snow. Hope it doesn't have to last 3 weeks like the last 1/10th.
I drove through your area yesterday. The place looks like a desert. A good friend of mine has a place not far from you and says he has been feeding hay since July.
Maybe that tenth will keep your oats alive until you get some real rain.
Hope Santa will bring you some for Christmas.

Joy of Texas":368uffgn said:
Burrrr,it's a cold one this morning. We have snow flurry's. I guess it's still to warm for them to stick,but they are there .
It figures, I have 4 heifers that are due any time ,so today will probably be it. Yeah !
Yep, 17 this morning here... No snow though. About this time last year we were all out of electricity, and ice covering everything, trees breaking limbs, etc...

bigbull338":1hb6om8o said:
dont worry joy the snow wont stick to the ground.an youll may even have a new calf or 2.
:D I hope so. I wish all 4 would hurry up. If it was older cows I wouldn't worry about them. No bigbull the snow isn't sticking,but it sure is cold out there. I'm making me another pot of coffee to take with me.
Our place looks like a desert too. It's just awful especially with the hogs hitting us so bad. We've been haying since July too. I don't like to,but I got the creep feeder filled up. Some of my calves are way light this year. That's why we didn't sell off any. Not my idea,but Rick says he's not giving the dog gone things away. I guess he has more money stuff under his side of the bed.

Joy of Texas":3m92jdog said:
No bigbull the snow isn't sticking,but it sure is cold out there.
Sure is for a Texas boy. 34 degress with a 18 mph NW wind that cuts right thru. Doubled up on the bluejeans and shirts, drug out the heavy jacket and gloves too. Tractor cranked, got the cows fed, no new baby calves. Done for the day. Brrr...

Nova, the oats that came up before it rained looks pretty good. It had a chance to set some good root. What didn't come up till it rained is about 3 weeks later and root set isn't very good, it is really hurting.
Sooner or later it will rain and we are one day closer to that day.

Just had a little sleet here. It stuck but not on the roads. It is just now getting above freezing here.

Lammie":3mzoi05h said:
Just had a little sleet here. It stuck but not on the roads. It is just now getting above freezing here.

Started snowing here about an hour ago. Whatever weather you get, makes it here about 2-3 hour later.

How very fantastic for all of you getting the snow down south!! I do not like the cold, but I LOVE the snow. There is nothing that changes the landscape more dramatically than new snow ~ not even the fall leaves I think. I hope you all have a chance to go outside and enjoy it!

Its -2 F here ~ won't be long and I will have to get my jacket out.

angie":28atj3k3 said:
Its -2 F here ~ won't be long and I will have to get my jacket out.

lmao , and I'm sure you are probably still wearing shorts. :p .. :lol2:

I have had to wear my Halley's twice this week and by this Saturday the forecast for the next week is a high of -20f and a low of minus 25f... :help: I HATE WINTER>>> :cry2:

Joy, I hope your babies are born on warm sunny days.. :)

Snowing here in college station. Enough we went on out and had a snow ball fight. Never seen it snow like this in south texas.

Call me what you want, but I don't like the cold. I've traveled all over this great country for work, but I like it here where's it's HOT. Only problem is the same as Joy's : today it's cold and raining. Weather channel says snow for tonight (First snow for four years). Just got back from giving hay to the cattle - my 11 year old daughter went with me, and couldn't be happier that we have a cab tractor. One of the cows had just calved, ofcourse in the worst weather, but from inside the tractor the calf looked fine and she's an experienced moma. I'll tag the calf later.

So maybe my friends up north are tougher than me, but there is no way I could do it in this type of weather - let alone Canada

cypressfarms":2i7li2oj said:
Call me what you want, but I don't like the cold. I've traveled all over this great country for work, but I like it here where's it's HOT. Only problem is the same as Joy's : today it's cold and raining. Weather channel says snow for tonight (First snow for four years). Just got back from giving hay to the cattle - my 11 year old daughter went with me, and couldn't be happier that we have a cab tractor. One of the cows had just calved, ofcourse in the worst weather, but from inside the tractor the calf looked fine and she's an experienced moma. I'll tag the calf later.

So maybe my friends up north are tougher than me, but there is no way I could do it in this type of weather - let alone Canada

They'er not any tougher Cypress. They can certainly withstand the tundra better but wait till they get down here around July/August!!! It's all relative?

I had a cow that calved a couple of years back and it was freezing out, mud everywhere, and sleet. Sure wish I had a cab tractor then! Nothing like trying to cut bale wrap when your fingers won't bend.

No babies yet. I sat out in the pasture with those heifers until it was 29 degrees. I had to come home. I was so cold I wouldn't have been much good to them anyway.When I got up this morning it was 21 and no snow flurry's. So the weather man says we are to have warmer weather for the weekend. So hopefully they will just wait a couple of days.

looks like they love making you wait for them to calve.an rick is right holding the calves over an feeding them.but when they hitt 800lbs sale them.

"BeefmasterB" wrote:
They'er not any tougher Cypress. They can certainly withstand the tundra better but wait till they get down here around July/August!!!It's all relative?

I think most of us here would sail through your summers as you all have air conditioning or is that a myth.. :lol2: And we do hit 100 + degree temps here in the summer as well sometimes. We beaotch a lot about that too.. :p
I had a cow that calved a couple of years back and it was freezing out, mud everywhere, and sleet. Sure wish I had a cab tractor then! Nothing like trying to cut bale wrap when your fingers won't bend.

My chore tractor has no cab and my fingers freeze to the bone and I just love it when the twine has frozen onto the bale :roll: ..Going to be -40 saturday with winds up to 60 k's :help: ...

Joy those babies will come out when they are ready,,probably waiting for the weather to change.. :)

Latest posts