It's Snowing !!

Help Support CattleToday:

That's what I love too hillsdown, chipping away at the ice on twine. I am not looking forward to this weekend, we were just above 0 and now down to -32. No wonder I have pneumonia.

hillsdown":290b0iw1 said:
"BeefmasterB" wrote:
They'er not any tougher Cypress. They can certainly withstand the tundra better but wait till they get down here around July/August!!!It's all relative?

I think most of us here would sail through your summers as you all have air conditioning or is that a myth.. :lol2: And we do hit 100 + degree temps here in the summer as well sometimes. We beaotch a lot about that too.. :p
I had a cow that calved a couple of years back and it was freezing out, mud everywhere, and sleet. Sure wish I had a cab tractor then! Nothing like trying to cut bale wrap when your fingers won't bend.

My chore tractor has no cab and my fingers freeze to the bone and I just love it when the twine has frozen onto the bale :roll: ..Going to be -40 saturday with winds up to 60 k's :help: ...

Joy those babies will come out when they are ready,,probably waiting for the weather to change.. :)

But Hillsbown...the story always is "your cold doesn't have any humidity". :lol2: :lol2: Cold is cold...and windy cold is murder. But I will trade our 100+ days with 50% humidity for some of that dry heat. I can't imagine a calf coming out of a warm womb into below zero temps. Bet he takes a real deep "first breath".

We have some bad stuff heading this way. :shock: :help:
No calves coming for a while. Blizzard warnings with heavy snow. May have to spend a night or 2 at the shack. Not unusual for the side roads to be blocked for a couple days. Our home is 9 miles from the ranch, but my shack has everything we [me and the pups] need to be very comfortable. Cell phone so the Boss can give instructions. No TV, reading material and a freezer full of food. :cowboy:

We have a blizzard going here right now. Winds hitting around 50mph woke me up this morning at 5am. They are now blowing at 25 mph. temp is at 1 above zero.
Will post some pics in awhile. You can't see the blowing snow, but you can see the drifts that have built up.

2008Concert126.jpg

Pic taken this morning.

I luv herfrds":1l52ktzj said:
We have a blizzard going here right now. Winds hitting around 50mph woke me up this morning at 5am. They are now blowing at 25 mph. temp is at 1 above zero.
Will post some pics in awhile. You can't see the blowing snow, but you can see the drifts that have built up.

Wind howled all night here...Didn't get but a skiff of snow til about 9AM- and now its coming down horizontally- visibility about 20-30 yards at times....Temp is really dropping- was 17 about 6AM-- now at noon its 2 BELOW with about 30-40 mph winds still howling...Predicting 15-20 below tonight and 30-35 below for tommorrow night....BRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Old cows were out grazing til the temp started dropping and the snow got heavier...Now it looks like they are all in coulees or willows-- or behind some of the windbreaks in the corral....

I'ts cloudy, 70 degrees with a south wind blowing its now usuall 20 mph. No sign of moisture falling from the sky or blowing horizontally. :p Just an occasional feed sack or wal-mart bag is all that blows by.

Big bright moonlit night last two nights. I guess the cows have been out hustling, they didn't act hungry this morning.

That stuff that's in Montana. :lol: that's a start, the storms are just getting started. Lots more moisture here and more direct cold from the Arctic. I'll let you know what 2-3 feet of snow with 70 mph winds is like. :help:

Jezz, what is going on? The wind here is up to 27 mph now. Yall got a hurricane over their in Northeast Texas the weathermen don't know anything about?

Weather boys are saying we got 8 inches of snow today-but it must all be drifted in the coulees and around the buildings as most everything is pretty bare..
Good news is they say the snow is ending here and moving east- Bad news is they say the real cold is coming...Predicting 40 Below for tomorrow night...And now they say it may get above zero on Wednesday, just before the Canucks share with us another arctic front and more sub zero cold for the rest of the week :cry2:

Temp right now is 12 Below with 20-30 mph North winds and a chill factor of 38 Below...

18 below here. Winds have quit though.
mnmt got a pic taken awhile back where you can see the husbands truck parked just about the inlaws trailer house, the snow is up to the bumper of that 3/4 ton. The snow was so deep in front of our house he couldn't get down here without fear of getting stuck til it melted.
Stories back in '78-'79 told to me by the FIL they about tore up every truck they had that winter.

Latest posts