It's raining!

Help Support CattleToday:

jkwilson

Reaction score
We were getting to be in a bad way. Been sick the last several days watching the weather move 20 or 30 miles west and north of us. No first cutting of hay and pastures are struggling. This will help, but we'll still probably have to cull a little harder than planned.

I am glad to hear that you are getting some rain. I think we have gotten a little more than we need around here and I am afraid that there are folks whose hay is sitting on the ground getting wet right now. Beats the drought, though. Here's to hoping that things get better your way.

Congratulations on the rain. We're getting it, too. We had 1.7 inches Wed-Thurs and are probably going to have that much last night and today, with a 40-60% chance for more thru Monday. I hear the TV folks complaining about "ruining the Memorial Day weekend" but I say phooey. If no rain is the indicator of a good Memorial Day Weekend, they had a wonderful one last year. This one is for me. :D

You know we must seem like simple folks to some for getting excited about something like rain. Just hearing you are getting some made my spirits rise. Hope it soaks through and meets the ground moisture for you.

Jogeephus":1vivkq04 said:
You know we must seem like simple folks to some for getting excited about something like rain. Just hearing you are getting some made my spirits rise. Hope it soaks through and meets the ground moisture for you.

No, I can remember last summer telling the kids not to say the "R" word because it woud jinks it. I have been known to sit out in the yard in a chair during a summer rain. I bet we have had 5 inches in the last few days, looking at the troughs. I won't stop here, and I would really like to get out and mow the yard and sweep the muddy pawprints off the back porch.

80 miles north of us has been in the "Too Danged Much Rain" category all spring on the drought maps. Many acres of corn saw their first rain over the weekend, and it's been looking bigger every day. I don't think I could grain farm. I lay awake at night worrying about 20 acres of hay down or having to choose between culling a proven cow that's got some years on her or an unproven heifer who should be good. Can't imagine what it would be like having 1200 acres of corn in the ground with no rain in sight.

Lammie":23y8q8ml said:
Jogeephus":23y8q8ml said:

No, I can remember last summer telling the kids not to say the "R" word because it woud jinks it. I have been known to sit out in the yard in a chair during a summer rain. I bet we have had 5 inches in the last few days, looking at the troughs. I won't stop here, and I would really like to get out and mow the yard and sweep the muddy pawprints off the back porch.

i sit out in the chair during lightning storms.

Beefy, make sure you don't have a metal frame on that chair. You can get counseling for that, you know.

We're getting some rain here, been a few years since we've had rain to speak of at the right times. BUT it's raining, not a lot but a quarter to a half inch a couple times a week. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

We have some tropical stuff developing and coming our way this weekend they say. Problem is the last time they said this all we got was wind.

I have never seen it so dry here. Gators aare even moving looking for deeper cooler water.

I don't know when it has been this dry in south Alabama. The grass looks like it has been scorched and it crunches when you walk on it. Was hoping we might get some of the rain from the tropical storm but not a drop yet. I know it is going to rain but I just don'nt know when.

You guys are drying up and blowing away, while around here it's too wet to get equipment in the wheat fields to harvest. It's raining again today and probably will tomorrow. But Tuesday it's supposed to move on out and we'll get some heat (90 degrees). But the grass needs sunshine, too.

Even with the rain we've gotten, the folks on sandy soil are hurting. Saw a hay field that was cut three weeks ago, and every tire track was brown. The rest is just yellow. :(

Well, we got 2.5 inches at the farm from the topical storm. It was nice but I was out digging some post holes and the ground is still dry 3 feet down. It did help the grass perk up a little but unless we start getting rain more frequently the cows will dry up and blow away also.

I hauled calves at a younger age than normal yesterday just to get them off their mommas. I culled a little also. If things turn around and we get normal rain fall I will shop for some pairs.

Latest posts