It's Raining

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
and I have some heifers soon to calve........I wonder if the will calve tonight while it is windy, wet and cold? Seems to be a pattern with cows anyway :lol:

yes. seems to be that they calve when its bad weather .. haha.
Mine always do early in the morning.. .like before sunrise.

Ours don't seem to have a time preference, but they do have a weather preference - the nastier the better! :roll:

Boy are you guys right!

Saturday was the nastiest day...Raining buckets, sloppy, muddy, cold and windy....Didn't I get out to the pasture to find my newest black and white herford baby on the ground shivering! Must have only been a few hours old!

Made him and mom a "Hay" shelter...and Sat night had snow and 50MPH winds.....wasn't sure he'd still be with us by Sunday. Checked on him Sunday and he was up and kick'n. They are strong little critters sometimes...Hope he stays that way!

lennie":2otx9l45 said:
Boy are you guys right!

Saturday was the nastiest day...Raining buckets, sloppy, muddy, cold and windy....Didn't I get out to the pasture to find my newest black and white herford baby on the ground shivering! Must have only been a few hours old!

Made him and mom a "Hay" shelter...and Sat night had snow and 50MPH winds.....wasn't sure he'd still be with us by Sunday. Checked on him Sunday and he was up and kick'n. They are strong little critters sometimes...Hope he stays that way!

If mom gets 'em cleaned off, and they nurse, they are some tough little critters! There seems to be something about the barometer dropping that has an effect on cows close to calving. I don't understand it, and maybe it's sheer coincidence, but a cow that's imminent and has been dilly dallying around will usually calve if a storm rolls in. :roll:

Latest posts