Its not Anecdotal

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred":ikrh5kph said:
.good news is that drugs would be much more affordable for all of them. :nod: :nod: :nod:
And with any luck they would all OD and die

A first cousin on my mother's side is 68. He retired from police service in Indiana and took an after-retirement job as a Railroad Detective. The years of service took a toll on his body and he has arthritis. He has been on opiates for many years. His doctor was forthright that he would become dependent. The alternative is suffering the pain and disability. He says he is absolutely addicted. If he does not take it daily, he said he feels so bad, he cannot function. IDK. I don't take anything but a baby aspirin and some GNC vitamins. I certainly am beginning to feel some joint pains. I would not like to be in his situation.

The drug problems are definitely reaching dire circumstances. I have known several who have died young, and many who have made a mess of their lives due to drugs or alcohol. I think in a lot of cases society ( some tv shows, movies, music, ) seems to glorify or maybe even promote use of alcohol or drugs. I have heard several folks argue the point for legalizing marijuana but I am concerned that it is a door opener to harder drugs. I have a close friend who has really struggled with addictions, and has been clean for a while now. He is a good, hardworking talented man, hopeful that he will continue to stay clean.

Bright Raven":p87z86li said:
A first cousin on my mother's side is 68. He retired from police service in Indiana and took an after-retirement job as a Railroad Detective. The years of service took a toll on his body and he has arthritis. He has been on opiates for many years. His doctor was forthright that he would become dependent. The alternative is suffering the pain and disability. He says he is absolutely addicted. If he does not take it daily, he said he feels so bad, he cannot function. IDK. I don't take anything but a baby aspirin and some GNC vitamins. I certainly am beginning to feel some joint pains. I would not like to be in his situation.
There's a major difference between your cousin and some deadbeat - freeloader that will steal you blind, or possibly kill you to feed their drug habit. I've taken my share of drugs from A to Z for pain, and occasionally still do, but I prefer to just walk the pain out. Diet, exercise, and stress all play a part in pain management. IMO

farmerjan":2lgud5qx said:
I also cannot see the big draw to drugs for myself. There hasn't been a prescription yet that will even take off the edge of the knee/ankle pain. The hydrocodone, and tramadol and such just make me queasy and a little light headed, that's not my idea of "feeling good". Oxycontin doesn't even register.... meloxicam was like taking m&m's .... seriously, wish sometimes I could find something to take the edge off. I hate the queasy feeling, sometimes it isn't as pronounced if I've eaten first.... but what's the point if I don't get any relief from the pain in the ankle. Yet there are so many that don"t do anything but get high and mooch off someone else..... sometimes I just think that if their life is that unimportant then they need to take an overdose and put themselves and every one else that they cause to suffer out of their misery. Guess that's cold... but I have very little use for anyone who just gives up or doesn't try. I know I wouldn't make a good counselor...
Have you ever smoke pot for your ails?

Years ago when I was stationed in sanfrancisco I was class B brown bagging with a young lady whose sister had pretty much turned her brains to mush from drugs. My oldest nephew was starting to experiment so I day I took him for ride to get something from the sisters place. When we left he asked what was wrong with her so I told him. That was the end of his drug fooling around.

Bright Raven":2mduu5hv said:
I'm addicted the same way. More of an addiction to being able to function then anything else

Bright Raven":20eilh5d said:
I don't know what a "good counselor" would say. Maybe your approach would be a kind of shock treatment. I am startled by your statement that they "need to take an overdose" and put themselves out of their misery. I wonder if you mean that?

I have taken some courses (through my employer) in this area. The current movement, after establishing that the person has an interest in changing their lifestyle, is to ask many open ended questions to help them discover the things in their lives that are motivating them to change. What or who do they value?Then, you attempt to help them establish clear, achievable goals. Next, you assist by forming a plan with interventions and behaviors that the person feels they can utilize to achieve these goals. Frequent follow up is key to success. Modifying the plan with successes and failures is paramount in experiencing long term success. This is a VERY abbreviated synopsis.

What I see firsthand in so many situations, when it comes to addicts, is that step 1 (identifying what is valuable in your life enough to motivate you to stop) is the real stumbling block for many. They are so consumed that they quite frankly care for nothing else more than they do the drug/high. Not children, spouse, lover, dog, money or their own life. Without establishing a real motivation, personal to the individual, to stop the negative behavior, failure is inevitable.
Imagine the chemical and electrical hardwiring changes that must occur in ones brain to chose a drug over their child. Very powerful stuff.

Dave":3ah6eygw said:
That West Virginia death rate is only exceed by 4 or 5 of the most dangerous jobs in the country. There are a lot of jobs that many people consider dangerous that have a much lower death rate.

One of those dangerous jobs wouldn't be ranching would it?

farmerjan":ah7u29fc said:
I also cannot see the big draw to drugs for myself. There hasn't been a prescription yet that will even take off the edge of the knee/ankle pain. The hydrocodone, and tramadol and such just make me queasy and a little light headed, that's not my idea of "feeling good". Oxycontin doesn't even register.... meloxicam was like taking m&m's .... seriously, wish sometimes I could find something to take the edge off. I hate the queasy feeling, sometimes it isn't as pronounced if I've eaten first.... but what's the point if I don't get any relief from the pain in the ankle. Yet there are so many that don"t do anything but get high and mooch off someone else..... sometimes I just think that if their life is that unimportant then they need to take an overdose and put themselves and every one else that they cause to suffer out of their misery. Guess that's cold... but I have very little use for anyone who just gives up or doesn't try. I know I wouldn't make a good counselor...
Most of the real addicts mainline the stuff now. They get nothing from taking it orally either.

dun":skq8kceu said:
He said a couple of hours later when he woke up he LOVED everybody. And was calling people he hadn't talked to in years. Decided then and there never again.
Sounds like it knocked the doctor right out of him,,and made him almost human like...

Ky hills":22eewhqz said:
The drug problems are definitely reaching dire circumstances. I have known several who have died young, and many who have made a mess of their lives due to drugs or alcohol. I think in a lot of cases society ( some tv shows, movies, music, ) seems to glorify or maybe even promote use of alcohol or drugs. I have heard several folks argue the point for legalizing marijuana but I am concerned that it is a door opener to harder drugs. I have a close friend who has really struggled with addictions, and has been clean for a while now. He is a good, hardworking talented man, hopeful that he will continue to stay clean.

Could it be possible that marijuana wouldn't open the doors to harder drugs if people didn't have to go to the drug dealers door to get it.?

shaz":tx64e43d said:
Dave":tx64e43d said:
That West Virginia death rate is only exceed by 4 or 5 of the most dangerous jobs in the country. There are a lot of jobs that many people consider dangerous that have a much lower death rate.

One of those dangerous jobs wouldn't be ranching would it?

Logging and commercial fishing are always #1 and 2 with death rates around 90 to 100 per 100,000. Below that they bounce around a bit depending on who has had a bad year. I have seen years when farming was as high as #4 with a death rate of about 45 per 100,000.

Legalizing pot? The pot shop for this town and the eastern 2/3 of this county is basically at the end of our driveway. It is interesting to see who pulls in there. I haven't lived here long enough to actually know any of the people. But the majority look like average people driving nicer vehicles. There are some who look like druggies but they are a minority. Every once in a while someone misses the pot shop and comes down the driveway. Most realize their mistake and turn around quickly. There have been a few who are really stoned who need direction.

few painkillers do anything for any pain I have.. muscle relaxants for my back really don't do much, tylenol, advil, etc are totally useless.. Tylenol 3 marginally works, Demerol a little as well.. I have an assortment of options but they aren't worth their price tags!
Pot has never done anything for me either.. at least not enjoyable.

I've been known to mingle from the gutters to the fractions of the 1% - I can tell you there are people from all walks of life using pot - And some would really surprise you. On the whole though, pot smokers are easier to deal with than drunks and I have no problem whatsoever with it, even if I don't partake.

callmefence":37g7z3uu said:
Ky hills":37g7z3uu said:

Could it be possible that marijuana wouldn't open the doors to harder drugs if people didn't have to go to the drug dealers door to get it.?

Fence, I have friends and relatives that share your views on that, and I can understand the logic behind it. I think you are saying that where one illegal activity or product is there is likely others as well, and that argument does have some merit. I am not a proponent though, my concern is that with legalization of it, more folks would be more likely to try it, and thus more would become users. Also who is to say that after legalization of it, then maybe a movement to normalize something harder.
My views are formed from seeing first hand the damage that alcohol caused my family, and others, and from seeing the devastation caused by various types of drugs in the communities that we live and work in. Where we are there it seems like a drug epidemic.

This discussion kind of hits on a pet peeve of mine. Not that I want to, but if I did want to take drugs that I know will fry my brain, shouldn't that be my decision once I reach adulthood? Why should our government have the right or responsibility to protect me from myself? If someone steals or kills in order to feed their habit, then by all means throw them under the jail, but as long as they aren't hurting anyone but themselves I'm not convinced we shouldn't just let them.

Rafter S":754q48zr said:
This discussion kind of hits on a pet peeve of mine. Not that I want to, but if I did want to take drugs that I know will fry my brain, shouldn't that be my decision once I reach adulthood? Why should our government have the right or responsibility to protect me from myself? If someone steals or kills in order to feed their habit, then by all means throw them under the jail, but as long as they aren't hurting anyone but themselves I'm not convinced we shouldn't just let them.

Who's going to be responsible for your welfare, medical treatment, crimes committed in order to support your habit and etc

Cross-7":df6hm4oy said:
Rafter S":df6hm4oy said:

Who's going to be responsible for your welfare, medical treatment, crimes committed in order to support your habit and etc
When they commit a crime while high or drunk the party needs to be over. Medical treatment? That's a tough one, if you use tobacco, drink alcohol, or soda pop who's responsible for your well being?