It's Johnes

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
Well, the blood results are in . . . it's Johnes.

Bought a group of cattle from a top end breeder in the area last fall. Paid $1500 per head for a group of cows. Now my whole herd will have to be checked and culled where necessary since I don't know the extent it existed on the other guy's place. As you all may know on this board, it normally gets transmitted through milk or feces contaminated teats so this group of calves could be shot too.

Remember, it's buyer beware out there and your otherwise healthy herd can get contaminated from any source. If you buy from a farm - get the Johnes test done before delivery. If you're buying from a salebarn . . . cross your fingers.

The good news is that mostly calves are infected as babies.

You can test for it now. do not know about the realtive expense.

Go ahead and bite the bullet and get the herd tested.

then test the current calf crop and you should be over the hump. Or just market this years calves all as feeders and when you have a clean cow herd calving next time you will be good to go and can keep replacments.

Call the breeder and talk to him and see if they are willing to do anything.

pdfangus":1vfrqaax said:
The good news is that mostly calves are infected as babies.

You can test for it now. do not know about the realtive expense.

Go ahead and bite the bullet and get the herd tested.

then test the current calf crop and you should be over the hump. Or just market this years calves all as feeders and when you have a clean cow herd calving next time you will be good to go and can keep replacments.

Call the breeder and talk to him and see if they are willing to do anything.

Yeah, the bullet is getting bit. My vet's checking with state authorities re: a program for the herd.

I also have two weanling bulls out there from this year's crop I sold for $1000 each and 7 heifers I got $700 each for plus brothers and sisters of the infected cow . . . gonna inform the buyers and offer them tested free replacements if they want after these are tested or offer to get the ones they bought tested for them.

The breeder won't do anything. Not a breeder I'd work with again. Trying to live above their standard with my own customers.

ow, that's a raw deal.. .the only animals we import onto our place now are the bulls, and I guess it would be prudent to get them tested first, especially since they are so monogamously challenged :p

I hope it hasn't spread far in your herd, and good luck!

Nesikep":wusvmcqn said:
ow, that's a raw deal.. .the only animals we import onto our place now are the bulls, and I guess it would be prudent to get them tested first, especially since they are so monogamously challenged :p

I hope it hasn't spread far in your herd, and good luck!

An infected bull would shed the virus in his feces. A cow would lay in the feces, get the virus on her teats and give it to her calf. That's where the danger lies in an infected bull. But, yes, test your bulls.

As was previously posted on this topic - I think many folks see a case of Johnes and think a cow is just unthrifty or milks too hard and cull her - inadvertently continuing the condition in their herd as well as others they sell breeding stock to. It's not intentional, just lack of awareness.

Nesikep":1mghnfz0 said:
I guess this would be a great time to ask for what the signs are... poor body condition seems to be one

The clincher for me was deteriorating body condition combined with mildly loose stool while appearing to be completely healthy in every other way (appetite, attitude, etc). I probably caught her early - she's young - a coming 3 year old - but they can really hang on a long time and substantially emaciate (so I've learned). However, most folks will cull them before that as they simply appear "unthrifty" for quite a while before the slide downhill.

angus9259, sorry to hear about that. Tough situation. You are doing the 'stand up' thing by informing your customers of the situation. I would think that would do alot (positive) for your reputation.

Katherine

Workinonit Farm":naq51qis said:
angus9259, sorry to hear about that. Tough situation. You are doing the 'stand up' thing by informing your customers of the situation. I would think that would do alot (positive) for your reputation.

Katherine

Good post.

I recall when we got bangs from bringing in a cow from outside our herd. We still have to bring in bulls from time to time.

Another man's treasure my wind up your trash.

I too am sorry about what you are about to go through angus9259.

I was hoping it wasn't Johnes but???? It is what it is. The most susceptible are animals under one year exposed to any shedding.

Good luck and I feel your pain ,as I have been there done that . I got royally screwed by a reputable breeder who was even president of the association at one time . The SOB even sent me a very stern warning when I called all owners of my cows offspring (which I bought from him as a guaranteed breeder) informing them of her Johnes positive status.. :devil2:

Honor your integrity and keep your own reputation above board...Again best of luck and hope all works out for you in the end.. :tiphat:

That's too bad-hope things end up OK for you and your herd. its good of you to offer free replacements for your buyers this year. You are treating your customers a lot better than that breeder treated you.

Now that the virus is in the cowpies that are still in the pasture and corral, what do you do to clean everything up? Does the virus die after it's been exposed to air after a while? Can't imagine spreading the tainted manure on your fields and spreading it to every cow on the farm.

Good job of doing the right thing with your buyers. How long does it take to get rid of the virus from the farm? What is the cost per head for testing. I know if you might have it, they must be tested but wondering about the cost.

baxter78":3hl5nt8u said:
kenny thomas":3hl5nt8u said:
Good job of doing the right thing with your buyers. How long does it take to get rid of the virus from the farm? What is the cost per head for testing. I know if you might have it, they must be tested but wondering about the cost.

Lots of states do it for free as part of a johnes free deal.

My vet's looking into that now.

Toby L.":k2zpavmf said:
Now that the virus is in the cowpies that are still in the pasture and corral, what do you do to clean everything up? Does the virus die after it's been exposed to air after a while? Can't imagine spreading the tainted manure on your fields and spreading it to every cow on the farm.

I rotationally graze so the virus is out there - said to live 3+ years. I could plow up the fields, but minimally, dispersal is recommended - which I do by brush hogging anyway. Breaking up the manure doesn't get rid of the virus, but dries the maure and reduces the likelihood of getting infected manure on the teats of non-infected cows with calves. The main thing is keeping a clean calving area so non infected cows don't get the virus on their teats to infect their calves. Cows are unlikely to get it from general grazing. So, once the manure is dry, the risk goes down quite a bit for passing the infection, though the virus is still out there.

What about burning the pastures? If that would help it can also help with weed control as a side benefit.

dun":3l8zfyyj said:
What about burning the pastures? If that would help it can also help with weed control as a side benefit.

Interesting. I'll check with the vet. She's going to put me on a state erradication program. I suppose it might matter how pervasive the problem is in my herd. Another issue would be my neighborhood - literally. My acreage is in the middle of an extremely affluent subdivision. They just put on a 9,000 square foot house on the backside of one pasture. Not sure how the residence or the township would go for that. Plowing would probably go over better, but that doesn't get into the trees . . . I don't know what's going to happen. Hopefully the vet and state have worked through this before.

Interesting, in Michigan, there's nothing I am MANDATED to do. This is all voluntary.

Gosh, so sorry to hear that it came up positive for Johnes! How close are you to MSU? May be worth checking to see if they have plans or suggestions for treatment etc.

Latest posts