Its hot

Help Support CattleToday:

It's probably something simple GB but I'm wracking my brain trying to figure out what Def is?

Ken
My thoughts are the wind farms. They change the lower atmosphere and mix the ground level air with the air at least 600 ft up. The wind farms changed the direction our storms would come from..

111 degrees right now.
Neighbor lost a fat calf today. I lost a cow the other day.
Not to mention that whole Kansas fiasco.

Eared cattle are heading for the shade now. even the hereford bull is under a tree! It's 3 pm. They've been grazing most of the day. Getting pretty crispy. Praying the rain comes hard and fast Sunday into Monday

Calves came up for a drink...
20220625_145019.jpg20220625_145030.jpg

I started feeding hay yesterday.
If it doesn't rain next week girls are leaving.
You can't feed through a drought and turn a profit especially with today's inputs.
This will be about saving the pasture to fight another day.
I was just sitting here thinking about putting some hay out.

I have some that can leave. Some I'll keep.

We will see what tomorrow brings....

It was nice here today. Our high was supposed be 71 for the day, but I am not sure what it actually got to. It was kind of a cool ride on the ATV at noon when I went out to take care of the water. I spent all afternoon in the tractor loading and hay I baled last night for a buddy. I plan on cutting our hay tomorrow; I think we are going to have a good first cutting.

111 degrees right now.
Not to mention that whole Kansas fiasco.

Eared cattle are heading for the shade now. even the hereford bull is under a tree! It's 3 pm. They've been grazing most of the day. Getting pretty crispy. Praying the rain comes hard and fast Sunday into Monday

Calves came up for a drink...
View attachment 18241View attachment 18242
Dang, @MurraysMutts I hate to hear that! I lost a cow last week that had hardware (in spite of having a magnet). The plan was to let her continue to raise her calf until she quit eating cubes (still had a voracious appetite), left the herd or was in distress, and then I'd put her down. Nope. Lost her way earlier than anticipated and I'm sure the heat was a factor, even though her final resting place was lounging in a nice, cool waterway.

P.S. Val is adorable!

111 degrees right now.

View attachment 18241View attachment 18242
I have lost a couple cows. I am pretty sure they are still alive but I have no idea where they are. Oh well as my neighbor says "every good cow has to be somewhere". Supposed to get over 90 degrees tomorrow for the fist time this year. Grass in the hills is still green but that is short lived in the lower elevations. I have more grass in my lawn than you have in your pasture.

I have lost a couple cows. I am pretty sure they are still alive but I have no idea where they are. Oh well as my neighbor says "every good cow has to be somewhere". Supposed to get over 90 degrees tomorrow for the fist time this year. Grass in the hills is still green but that is short lived in the lower elevations. I have more grass in my lawn than you have in your pasture.
Yeah it's bad this year. Started towards the end of last year when I had to sell a few.
This lil spot north of the water tank is terrible!

I was gonna rotate to to the old railroad tmrw morning, but a friend (the one that lost the calf today) and I were talking about the Johnson grass and prussic. It looks ok but hard to say with the drought coming on like this.

This evening I heard from another friend totally unrelated, he just lost 20 calves confirmed Johnson grass/prussic.
He's 30 miles east. And it's even dryer there.

Think I'll keep em off of it and put some hay out tomorrow until I decide what's gotta happen...

I took a couple pictures this morning on my morning trip to see if I can spot the lost cows. I think the "cowboys" crowded them through the fence up on to the BLM. Oh well, that allotment gets moved the middle of next month. The cowboy who do that move are a whole lot better and they will find and return my cows.
We figure about 5 acres per AUM. We kicked the yearlings up here figuring on saving a couple of weeks of hay. They ended up staying a lot longer than planned. It worked out to 3 acres per AUM and I have a ton of grass left. The grass in the first picture was grazed off short a month ago. The green spot below and to the right of the junipers in the second picture is where that first picture was taken. The third picture is on the trail to the spring where they get water. This much green grass in the end of June is pretty amazing here.

P6252957.JPGP6252961.JPGP6252963.JPG

64 degrees this morning! Feels cold compares to the last couple weeks.

I think we got like 3 drops of rain.

Guess I'll go put that hay out now.
I was wondering if you got hit. We had a 50 degree drop in temp from yesterday, real feel 53 when I went out this morning. Ended up with only 1.6" but needed it - and surprisingly, no damage from the storm.

I was wondering if you got hit. We had a 50 degree drop in temp from yesterday, real feel 53 when I went out this morning. Ended up with only 1.6" but needed it - and surprisingly, no damage from the storm.
Most went north of us. I need a new rain guage. I'm hearing 1/3 of an inch.
It's not near as dusty anyway! Lol

We were on the "got lucky" side of the storms yesterday afternoon and last night. Wicked lightning show, ended up with 1/2", which is all we've had since early-mid-May. Grateful we got what we did. We've had the umbrella over us all year until now.

We were on the "got lucky" side of the storms yesterday afternoon and last night. Wicked lightning show, ended up with 1/2", which is all we've had since early-mid-May. Grateful we got what we did. We've had the umbrella over us all year until now.

I guess I was on the unlucky side. I got enough rain to settle the dust, but that was about it.

I started feeding hay yesterday.
If it doesn't rain next week girls are leaving.
You can't feed through a drought and turn a profit especially with today's inputs.
This will be about saving the pasture to fight another day.
I know what you mean CB. I shipped two loads of steers last night to OKC west. I was hoping to hold them until fall but pastures are starting to get really short and pouring hay and feed to them are profit killers. On the bright side, its not a bad time to sell. Cull cows are way up and feeders are selling really well also!

Last edited:
We are supposed to get into the mid 90's here today. In about another week I will be ready for a shower or two, I got about 46 acres down right now, and another 25 to cut.

Latest posts