It's getting deep

Help Support CattleToday:

grannysoo

Reaction score
The empty 5 gallon bucket that was sitting by the barn is now only about 2" short of being full of water in the last 3 days.

The ditches are full, the rivers are overflowing their banks, the roads are washed out, anything that was planted has been washed away, the highways are getting covered with water, schools are cancelled tomorrow.

I don't think you could say it's getting wet anymore. It's now just getting deep!

I just wonder now how long before we're back in the drought again. As wet as it is now, it'll be gone in a week or two. Probably get just as dry again as it is wet now......

Jo - have you washed away yet?

I had to replant my garden last year because heavy rains washed everything away. It was a dry summer, though. I'd rather have small rains on a regular basis instead of all of the rain at once. Guess beggars can't be choosers.

I'm in the same boat here. Schools closed and roads have gone missing. Haven't seen this much water since El Nino. It was amazing how much water can come out of the sky. I was also perplexed by the radar. The system didn't look that big. Looked just like any other that might pass on over and drop an inch or so but this one just seemed to have stalled and regenerated itself in place. Don't know exactly how much we got but I'm guesssing it was over a foot.

edit - BTW - are you gonna go buy a bunch of cows to eat all this extra grass?!? ;-) :lol2:

If I had extra money, I would be buying more at some of the prices that I have seen around.........

Looks like the storm has gone now, but I hear we're expecting another one next weekend. The water is soaking in and running off quick. It'll all be gone soon and then we can get back to our normal drought!

If we don't get some good rain,This will probably be the worst drought ever.
We had no rains in the fall and no winter rains.
If we don't get some spring rains we are in a world of hurt.
Have one pond dry that's never been dry before.
I'm thinking this summer ain't going to be pretty. :( :(

Cal

We totalled 13 inches as of this morning. Here are some higlights of the rain. If my figuring is right this should put us 4 inches above normal but it will be gone all too soon cause the trees will be sapping soon.

IMG_3360.jpg

IMG_3362-1.jpg

IMG_3363.jpg

IMG_3369.jpg

And deeper, deeper, and deeper. Flooding everywhere. Small town next to us has 3 feet of water on Main Street. It's only 6" away from the bridges, and looks like most roads going into and out of of the local towns are going to be closed.

Rained again today for a couple of hours and it all just runs right off into the creeks and rivers. I've never seen it this wet in my years.

I think this is what you call a "flood".

Don't worry. Drought will be back in a few weeks. :nod:

Never seen this many inches myself. In 1998 we got 10 inches in two hours. This caused some serious problems too. Talking to the old timers the last rain we had worse/better than this was in 1948. Don't know how many inches this was but it lifted the bridge off the foundation and the road by the house was closed for a long time.

Jogeephus":b8c6kzlq said:
We totalled 13 inches as of this morning. Here are some higlights of the rain. If my figuring is right this should put us 4 inches above normal but it will be gone all too soon cause the trees will be sapping soon.

What's rain? Would you please send some our way?

Calman":b8c6kzlq said:
If we don't get some good rain,...I'm thinking this summer ain't going to be pretty. :( :(

Cal
I've already weaned all fall calves; they're going to town next week. We've already sold some spring calving pairs and are culling fall calving cows ( very heavily) this weekend. My goal is to whittle our total down to 40% of what we had last year. Prices are pretty good for breds and pairs so I'm going to strike while the iron's relatively hot. Of course, if we do get rains in May & June, I'll be singing another tune; but I'm gun shy after the drought of '05 & '06.

Latest posts