It's finally here!

Help Support CattleToday:

Kathie in Thorp

Reaction score
Returned home from MO on Tuesday eve -- the high that day was not quite 70; got down to 45 that night.

It's been warming up . . . . We have a not-too-far-away neighbor that sets up a pool every year -- except last year, and it didn't get real warm last Summer. We always figure Summer starts when Jorge's pool is filled. The pool has now been filled for 2 days and we're supposed to hit 100 by tomorrow. It's OFFICIALLY Summer out here! :D

CP, I've been squawking about unseasonably cool temps/too much rain during hay season for a month. What did you do -- go on vacation to another planet or something?

No, I've been out farming in it so by the time I get on here I'm semi-delerious from the heat. This year actually hasn't been to bad but I'm busier than I've ever been so I'm out in it more. I can adjust to heat or cold either way but it's hard to start at 1am at 65degrees and then work until 3pm when it's 105degrees. I had to knock off a little early today.

cow pollinater":3k1qdjfi said:
No, I've been out farming in it so by the time I get on here I'm semi-delerious from the heat. This year actually hasn't been to bad but I'm busier than I've ever been so I'm out in it more. I can adjust to heat or cold either way but it's hard to start at 1am at 65degrees and then work until 3pm when it's 105degrees. I had to knock off a little early today.
Don't blame you a bit!

cow pollinater":3cf27a7h said:

I have to work in the heat, too, and it's really been a struggle this year. Partly because I'm getting older, I suppose, and partly because there's been no letup. Had the hottest April on record around here and it's been downhill from there.

All I can say is: thank God for central air. Oh, wait, that decided it had had enough abuse sometime last night, too. :lol: Got a guy out about 10:30 this morning and he had her fixed pretty quickly so all is well.

Kathie, unfourtinaly we are about the only place in the country that does't have a heat wave and possible draught. This Saturday afternoon we are in the mid 80's and loving it, forecast is warm and sunny for at least the next 10 days. We had the second coolest June on record this year and I was sweating about hay for the second year in a row. But a few fields are cut and lots of hay equipment on the roads. Great time of year to hay should be a good year and good quality hay :banana: . Again my apologies to those suffering and worried. :tiphat:

Alan

This has been an odd heat wave for us because the high temps haven't come with the usual humidity. It really does make a difference when the temp is 100+ with 65% humidity versus 25%. Still dangerous to over-do it in that kind of heat but not as thoroughly miserable as previous summers I remember.

Kathie I'm happy for you....no....really ;) LOL. I'll gladly send you some of the temps in the 100's that we've been having, along with the 73% humidity to go with it, then that pool of ol Jorge's would feel really good right about now.

Enjoy your weather and good times. :)

Katherine

Alan":29y7w30a said:
Kathie, unfourtinaly we are about the only place in the country that does't have a heat wave and possible draught. This Saturday afternoon we are in the mid 80's and loving it, forecast is warm and sunny for at least the next 10 days. We had the second coolest June on record this year and I was sweating about hay for the second year in a row. But a few fields are cut and lots of hay equipment on the roads. Great time of year to hay should be a good year and good quality hay :banana: . Again my apologies to those suffering and worried. :tiphat:

Alan

Four days of 100+ and 70% humidity was just about right -- then home. Haven't checked for awhile, but it was 100 under the porch here at 3:00 PM. I've been laying low reading a book with the AC on. Major chores were done early this morning. Will need to re-check water later.

My neck cooler is now in operation. At almost 2:00 p.m., 103 under the shade of the porch and rising. I will not gripe about cooler weather again until, oh, maybe October or so.

MO_cows":3gydvcfl said:
This has been an odd heat wave for us because the high temps haven't come with the usual humidity. It really does make a difference when the temp is 100+ with 65% humidity versus 25%. Still dangerous to over-do it in that kind of heat but not as thoroughly miserable as previous summers I remember.

That's it right there. Our typical high humidity,even when we get the 100 plus temps, has always been our saving grace. However that has not been the case this year. I have seen humidity between 10 and 20% on several occasions the past few weeks. Evaporative losses are killing us. For human comfort factor it has been great. For vegatation, it has been lethal

Ouachita":ph1asrj1 said:
MO_cows":ph1asrj1 said:

That's it right there. Our typical high humidity,even when we get the 100 plus temps, has always been our saving grace. However that has not been the case this year. I have seen humidity between 10 and 20% on several occasions the past few weeks. Evaporative losses are killing us. For human comfort factor it has been great. For vegatation, it has been lethal

Just checked a weather site. Humidity here is 16%. We get DRY in the summer.

Latest posts