It's expensive

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Just today, I've bought: 35 post, 2 wire panels, 5gallon hydraulic fluid, 99 gallons of fuel, 20 bags of mineral, a roll of wire, broke a sway chain I haven't replaced, a hydraulic hose, had a tube put in a tire,

I ain't put em in the spread sheet yet, but it's been an expensive day. I see guys post on here, they can carry a cow for $120 a year. I can spend a $120 on a cow right quick. Starting to think it'd be cheaper to get my cow fix at a petting zoo.

Provided some on the job training to my kids today, that might be valuable someday, but other than that, it's been heck on the check book.

Bigfoot":u7a9nfgw said:
Just today, I've bought: 35 post, 2 wire panels, 5 gallon hydraulic fluid, 99 gallons of fuel, 20 bags of mineral,
a roll of wire, broke a sway chain I haven't replaced, a hydraulic hose, had a tube put in a tire

... it's been an expensive day. I see guys post on here, they can carry a cow for $120 a year.
I can spend a $120 on a cow right quick. Starting to think it'd be cheaper to get my cow fix at a petting zoo.
:lol:

Bigfoot":1dz7b7qs said:
Just today, I've bought: 35 post, 2 wire panels, 5gallon hydraulic fluid, 99 gallons of fuel, 20 bags of mineral, a roll of wire, broke a sway chain I haven't replaced, a hydraulic hose, had a tube put in a tire,

I ain't put em in the spread sheet yet, but it's been an expensive day. I see guys post on here, they can carry a cow for $120 a year. I can spend a $120 on a cow right quick. Starting to think it'd be cheaper to get my cow fix at a petting zoo.

Provided some on the job training to my kids today, that might be valuable someday, but other than that, it's been heck on the check book.

Just come visit me a couple times a year. I got cows you can pet. Lol

Seriously, I don't see how people squeeze a profit out of cattle. :eek:

My guess is that your purchases were around $1200-1400. Am I close?

Yeah, I did quick math and come up with about 1200-1300. And oh boy, we just had a bearing go bad on the NEW discbine. It's covered by warranty, but will fix it ourselves or wait for several weeks for it to get done...so they said they would pay all parts, and shipping if we wanted to do it and it will still be covered but gee whiz....Got the part today so it will get done this week....
Pulled a dead calf out of a bought cow, then she went down and died 24 hours later.....Luckily one of the "cheap" breds, but now a loss... still not ready to pack it in yet....but won't see much "profit". One godd thing is steer prices on the 4+5 wts are up to the 1.40-1.75 range and heifers about 10 to 20 cents less so hope to do okay in about 2 weeks when we ship some. We'll see.

Bigfoot":27yjn3zp said:

I know what you're saying BF.... kind of a selfish reason, but that is one of the reasons that I started a Farm & Feed Supply store. I know the amount of feed and supplies that I use on my own operation, and in today's market the more I can offset some of the cost of production, the better! It also made sense that the location that I'm in, a Feed store was definitely needed.

Bigfoot":377se6pz said:

Sure wish I could figure out how to keep a cow for $120 a year. I am a lot more than that.

i've been stocking up on supplies lately since they are cheap. wire rolls, etc since metal is cheap rightnow.

Bigfoot":21ih2sh6 said:

20 bags of mineral.....well I wouldn't have to buy more for a few years,,,,, :lol: :lol: :lol: the rest is on par for me also but $1800 does sound a bit extreme.
Some of the darndest crap can happen that just doesn't make sense. I just replace a $129 push pull cable on the tractor loader. For years it worked fine and all of a sudden it's all but stuck.

Stocker Steve":20zuiwdb said:
Brute 23":20zuiwdb said:
Trying to pay for equipment with 30 head is a lot harder than 100 head. If you graph costs vs revenue with cattle there are sweet spots.

Tell me more ?

Yes I would like to know where the sweet spot is also.

economy of scale.... 400 hd should be sweeter than 100 hd
although if you're bleeding red... scale just speeds up the inevitable.
You can live with a small cut or scratch... hit an artery and not so much

Stocker Steve":cvy1ku6q said:
tom4018":cvy1ku6q said:
Sure wish I could figure out how to keep a cow for $120 a year.

These are the same folks that start their tax return with the refund they want and then work backwards. :nod:
Are you talking about me?

I understand economics of scale, and the law of diminishing marginal returns, but it's hard to say they apply to cattle (although I know they do). When I look at my inputs, there aren't many I could get cheaper, by buying mass quantities. As long as you don't step outside the bounds of commons sense.......Making 20 cows pay for hay equipment etc.
infact, the converse may be true. The more cattle you run, the higher your death loss on a percent basis.

Thoughts?

Latest posts