It's cold!

Help Support CattleToday:

fellersbarnoneranch":upodd3dc said:
Oldtimer":upodd3dc said:
Anyway we're sending this south so you'all down there can share.....

Thank you for your generousity, but you can take it back! It crept in slowly last night and has picked up a lot of power and cold all day. Now if the TX panhandle sends their moisture our way, the dogs will have plenty of drifts to play in! Brrrrrrrr.......

Well, just hope it doesn't all get down to you-- Its really starting to cool down now here-- Temp is down around 0 with 20 mph winds and 20 below chill factor and light snow-- Predicting temps down to 20 below and chill factors of 40-50 below for tonight..... Starting to feel a little raw out there........

Oldtimer":30emedpi said:
fellersbarnoneranch":30emedpi said:
Oldtimer":30emedpi said:
Anyway we're sending this south so you'all down there can share.....

Thank you for your generousity, but you can take it back! It crept in slowly last night and has picked up a lot of power and cold all day. Now if the TX panhandle sends their moisture our way, the dogs will have plenty of drifts to play in! Brrrrrrrr.......

Well, just hope it doesn't all get down to you-- Its really starting to cool down now here-- Temp is down around 0 with 20 mph winds and 20 below chill factor and light snow-- Predicting temps down to 20 below and chill factors of 40-50 below for tonight..... Starting to feel a little raw out there........

To late it's colder than a witches boob in a brass bra and the temp is still falling. Probably summer time temps for the Yanks and Canucks .

Just watched the news out of Lubbock. Tonight low near 14 ande high tommorrow of 24. Fri. low of 7 and high of 20. Really can't imagine what people in Montana go through. Better them than me. :)

Scotty

About an hour east of Dallas is 27 now and wind is still howling outside. It is supposed to get up to 32 tomorrow, then 14 for the next two nights. We have had snow since about noon but not much sticking. My youngest boy (11 months) has now seen snow twice in his short life so far!! My 8 yr old loves it too.

We have a "heat index" of -17 for tomorrow... today was cold enough, had a daytime high of 16, ice choppin every day... Got REAL close to frost bite last night on my toes.... not fun, I'm ready for spring!!

Oldtimer":g9fgo6kk said:

That's about what it is here now too. Got a few inches but with the wind not sure how much. Haven't seen what they predicted for the valleys tonight. So we just may get the minus 20 to minus 35 for Christmas yet. Hope not.

brrrrrrrrrrrrr..........
Going to be cool one tonight . Already-38. Supposed to be -45 to-48 tommorrow with the wind.

That's just SAD Frenchie! Ya'll are sure tough, there's no way I could function in that kind of weather!

We did get that lovely cold front y'all... it's 28 degrees right now. We got rain instead of snow (yuck). HIGHS tomorrow in the 30's, and no warm up until Monday. :cry:

Hey Frenchie, better break out the long johns and a good toque. Almost wish I could trade weather with you, though. Darn forecasters are calling for freezing rain AGAIN tonight and tomorrow....it's a right chore just getting a tractor with chains around to feed the cows here. Almost like the Big Guy's expecting the World Cup Junior Hockey game to be played on our place.

Take care and stay warm!

I enjoyed the book: Don Coyote - The Good Times And The Bad Times Of A Much Maligned American Original by Dayton O. Hyde.

I reflect often on something he wrote when I am choring in the cold, dressed in layers that make it hard to move. I don't remember his exact words but he said something like--It's never as cold outside as you think it's going to be while you are in bed under the covers or sitting on the pot.

He was right. Anybody else read Dayton's book?

I am thankful for my one hole Ritchie heated waterer, and that I don't have to chop a hole in the creek.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Bret

CattleAnnie":2qn4qthp said:
Almost like the Big Guy's expecting the World Cup Junior Hockey game to be played on our place.

Take care and stay warm!

CattleAnnie

Perhaps you could host ICE CAPADES with all that ice.The feature attraction could be COWS ON ICE.

Went out to start the tractor no go.Block heater is toast..Torch time right away.
Was
going to take the kids sliding ,if it warms up to -25 or so. Don,t think it hit that today.Take care

Frenchie

TheBullLady":7923oyi3 said:
That's just SAD Frenchie! Ya'll are sure tough, there's no way I could function in that kind of weather!

We did get that lovely cold front y'all... it's 28 degrees right now. We got rain instead of snow (yuck). HIGHS tomorrow in the 30's, and no warm up until Monday. :cry:

It is sad 3 days ago it was 30 F here. pneumonia is a real threat here with the flip flop in temps.Gets cold for 2 or 3 days then warms up.

That would be a $100,000 or $1million dollar winner if you videoed those cows playing hockey. Hum, circus act for more income. ;-)

We got down to -21 here at 8:30 this morning. Hoping for a little sun to help heat things up just a little.

Amazing how torches are ones best friend more than we realize.

Dayton's book sounds interesting.

Frenchie, don't know what we'd do without the old standbys of oil pan heater, stove pipe & tiger torch, and ether. Have you ever tried using an old parachute draped over your tractor when you've got the torch underneath it? Usually helps a fair bit.

Take care and good luck in that winter wonderland.

ps. The cows on ice thing is just too hair-raising as it is...everyday praying not to find one with a broken leg or split, so have decided not to give them hockey sticks or figure skates.

Old Man":m6rdvqtf said:
Frenchie--When do your cows calve? Indoors or out? Do anything special for calves? When do your cows go to grass in spring? Thanks, I'm just curious.

We start calving this year in mid May end in July on grass
Last yr we had a bull get out early and breed some heifers .End result was some Feb calves,reminded me how much I hate winter calving..Cows winter on 70 acres on the home place.They are currently on poor hay bales and plus swath-grazing oats as well.

CattleAnnie":21u7qhtm said:
Frenchie, don't know what we'd do without the old standbys of oil pan heater, stove pipe & tiger torch, and ether. Have you ever tried using an old parachute draped over your tractor when you've got the torch underneath it? Usually helps a fair bit.

Take care and good luck in that winter wonderland.

I usually do use a tarp over the tractor. Never thought of a parachute though..would work a lot better I think than a tarp.

I have got worse problems my outdoor wood furnace water lines to house froze up.So we are on electric heat tonight.Sure not the same heat as that warm water gives off.

smallwater.jpg
[/img]

It's 10 tonight , we have 8" of snow . I'm glad I dont have to bust ice ..

I have got worse problems my outdoor wood furnace water lines to house froze up.

Boy, now there's a job I wouldn't want to try to tackle in this weather. Are they buried underground? there is a special type of styrofoam insulation we sell to protect that from happening again. I'd recommend it although I've seen some guys get good results by filling the area around the pipes with flax straw and poly before burying it back up.