It's cold!

Help Support CattleToday:

Old Man

Reaction score
At 5 a.m. temp was -14, wind was NNE at 15 (?) TV said chill factor -29. Bet the water tank is frozen this morning. Have to chop holes in ice on creek this a.m. High today of 0.

Old Man":cetnb68f said:
At 5 a.m. temp was -14, wind was NNE at 15 (?) TV said chill factor -29. Bet the water tank is frozen this morning. Have to chop holes in ice on creek this a.m. High today of 0.

Old Man- Last year at this time we'd already had two months of winter so I'm enjoying the fact that the cold has been going south and east of us-- Yesterday I drove thru the state returning from the Chase Hawks roughstock event in Billings- No snow anywhere in eastern Montana-At noon yesterday the temps in central Mt. (Winnet) were 67 degrees-- I even saw a farmer out pulling a toolbar in his field... But things were changing- Your Alberta cousins sent us down a clipper- Late in the day winds as high as 70-80 mph hit the state- this morning I awoke to 30 degree temp and about an inch of wet snow --- they are predicting we could get a couple of days of below zero weather moving in..... But back to highs of upper 30's by Christmas....

High of 2 here this morning. On the way out to thaw the water for the house then off to the creek to do some chopping.

Oldtimer,

That's some wind coming through isn't it. Thought the house was going to blow away. I'm still waiting for the cold to hit us for the usual Christmas time greeting. But January can lay on us like it did last year. But most of western MT has little snow too. Went to Bozeman the other day and the peaks are just barely covered. The Chase Hawk was here and gone - already. Wow.

Cerfherfbeef,

Saw on tv the storm and cold that is going through your state. They also showed buses gathering the homeless because they aren't used to it. Maybe that's why Montana doesn't have a whole heck of a lot of bums. At the same time they talked about somewhere in Canada that was -53 a couple of days ago.

cattle-gal,

Came in to thaw out for a few minutes then off to town for a new bladder tank and plastic water line and lots of assorted fittings. When I got the water thawed out and running this morning I had one of Cattle Annie's Old Faithful fountains.
Wind chill is -20 here they say. Not all that bad if you dress right. Cows are hiding behind the rocks.

How do you guys function in weather like that? They are talking about a very slight chance of sleet on Wednesday, and we are already planning on what to do with the day off!

And not to rub it in, but its almost 70 today!

It was a beautiful 33 F this morning but its supposed to drop down to -22 F
by tonight with windchill down to -45 F. Strange weather this year seems to alternate from warm to cold.

eric":v9iqggr2 said:
How do you guys function in weather like that?

Just something you get used to I guess. Either that or all the brain cells have been frozen and we just don't know any different.

eric":v9iqggr2 said:
Got a neice and nephew that just came in from College Station for the holidays. They are hold up in the house with the furnace running at 75 degrees. What a pair of wimps!!! :D :D

Wind chill was supposed to be -38 here all day, about -42 tonight. Had to go get a new battery for the loader tractor this morning, it was "snowing" like crazy in the hay mow and my 3 Ritchie bowls are cranked up all the way and frozen solid. Mixed my milk replacer for the calves almost hot enough to make coffee and by the time I walked 50 feet to the hutches there was ice forming around the edges of the milk.
It was about -10 in the tiestall barn this morning with a Holstein heifer with two front feet sticking out of her, pulled a little bull calf and if she hadn't started licking it right away I think he would have reached up and grabbed her by the tongue, he wasn't impressed with his first outing.

fellersbarnoneranch":1e7t8fe9 said:
Hot water freezes faster than cold????

http://www.physlink.com/Education/AskExperts/ae7.cfm
http://www.vacets.org/sfe/hotwater.html

maybe you need a crockpot in the barn :lol:

I've heard of people actually hooking up their icemaker to the hot water line because somebody had convinced them hot water freezes faster. Between what PT Barnum said about a sucker being born every minute and what Hitler/Goebbels said about people falling for a big (outrageous) lie more easily than a small (more believable) lie it's somewhat understandable. Sometimes we have to stop listening to all the fancy arguments and rely on good old common horse sense.

Craig-TX

Well the winds have passed us -- down to 10-15mph- reports yesterday of gusts over 80mph- with the snow made for quite a blizzard .... Temp this morning was 7- now down to -1... Predicting down to -20 by Wed. night---then back into the 30's by Friday- and mid 30's for a merry Christmas....

Anyway we're sending this south so you'all down there can share.....

We were at 71 today. Other than the early rain, it was great. Although, tomorrow that big cold front is coming through so it will drop almost 40 in a day. Love that Texas weather.

certherfbeef":32aeonmp said:
eric":32aeonmp said:
How do you guys function in weather like that?

Just something you get used to I guess. Either that or all the brain cells have been frozen and we just don't know any different.

eric":32aeonmp said:
Got a neice and nephew that just came in from College Station for the holidays. They are hold up in the house with the furnace running at 75 degrees. What a pair of wimps!!! :D :D

Personally I don't like to get north of Waco, TX. Just to cold.

High of 22 at midnight, 30 mph winds. 17 now, still 30 mph winds. Supposed to get colder through the week-end, then warm back up on Monday.
No snow yet, I think it's too cooooooooold for it.

dun

Visiting the parents in west Texas. Went to bed was 36 light wind. Woke up 30 degrees, 4 inches of snow. Glad it did snow. My daughter is 8 now and she has seen it snow three times in her life.

Scotty

We've got a warm spell right now. 35 for a high for a couple days. But tonight it is supposed to drop again. Looks a White Christmas for us this year!!

Oldtimer":10ty862h said:
Anyway we're sending this south so you'all down there can share.....

Thank you for your generousity, but you can take it back! It crept in slowly last night and has picked up a lot of power and cold all day. Now if the TX panhandle sends their moisture our way, the dogs will have plenty of drifts to play in! Brrrrrrrr.......

Sorry...but it warmed up into the 70's. Should cool back to lows in the 40's high's in the 60's for Christmas. You say White Christmas; I say Green Christmas.