It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas...

Help Support CattleToday:

MO_cows

Reaction score
in my kitchen.

I like to give "treat presents" to some special people, so me and my grand-daughter are making it happen. So far, we have done 10 mini-loaves of pumpkin bread, using pumpkin pureee I made and froze awhile back. We also made a batch of cherry-almond cookies, fudge, about 50 pretzel rods dipped in almond bark and one batch of cracker candy (sounds weird but it is to die for). Got ground venison defrosting for some jerky sticks (for my highly carnivorous son and a diabetic co-worker). Still gotta make more fudge, cookies, and 2 kinds of chex mix, a savory and a honey-glazed. And, an apple cake with caramel sauce for a family get-together next Friday night, but I won't make that til Wednesday or Thursday.

What kind of treats is everybody else making?

I made 12 dozen shortbread cookies, 15 dozen sugar cookies ,20 dozen gingerbread cookies . Gave most of them away to neighbors and friends, decorated them (not the shortbread) and put them in fancy gift boxes.

I also made 10 dozen jumbo chip nut toffee cookies (hubbies favorite) ,eat more bars, cheese cake balls, butter tarts and some different kinds of breads . This last week I just felt like baking , a lot. :???: The novelty has already worn off :lol:

wont be no christmas baking round here this year.as the boss dont like baking cookies an fudge because itll just make fatter.

Sounds like you've been busy making some goodies, HD. Mine is easy. I've just gotta make one chocolate crème brûlée cheesecake and my baking will be over.

slick4591":2vf6h4m5 said:
Sounds like you've been busy making some goodies, HD. Mine is easy. I've just gotta make one chocolate crème brûlée cheesecake and my baking will be over.

I'll trade you all of my cookies for ONE chocolate crème brûlée cheesecake Slick .. :D

slick4591":22s40dr7 said:
If I did that my grandson would kick my butt. Errr...maybe I could make two. :lol:
how old is your grandson,that cheesecake sounds yummy.

He's 16 and 6'5", and I'm little fat guy that couldn't last a minute with him if I played fair. That cheesecake is his favorite dessert. He lived with me for a few months and I'll swear he asked for that every other week. Haven't made in one in over a year so I'm gonna surprise him.

Gale says to herself, "Hmmmmm, that Slick must be a great cook, HD is trading cookies for a "chocolate crème brûlée cheesecake" and Slick even has the little accents and stuff to put on the words!"

Gale Seddon":2osc1v3k said:
Gale says to herself, "Hmmmmm, that Slick must be a great cook, HD is trading cookies for a "chocolate crème brûlée cheesecake" and Slick even has the little accents and stuff to put on the words!"

:lol: Copy and paste is a wonderful thing.

Tonight, I'm making homemade Twix bars (the caramel is hardening now). In the morning, bcuz i forgot to pick up an ingredient, I will be making Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Fudge. They're the final elements to my husband and my friends husbands care packages. :D Its so much easier to double recipes and split what we are sending with a friend. :nod:

FarmGirl10":3146zuwq said:
Tonight, I'm making homemade Twix bars (the caramel is hardening now). In the morning, bcuz i forgot to pick up an ingredient, I will be making Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Fudge. They're the final elements to my husband and my friends husbands care packages. :D Its so much easier to double recipes and split what we are sending with a friend. :nod:

Sounds fattening and very yummy. Can you share the recipes please ?

Sucks that you two are spending your first Christmas as a married couple apart . :(

I pray that he and everyone serving overseas can come home very very soon to spend everyday with their loved ones ,not just the holidays . :heart:

slick4591":3oz89w6e said:
Yum. I like Twix.

Maybe you can make a Twix crème brûlée cheesecake . I make Caramilk cheesecake once and a while ;it is so good that you gain weight just by smelling it . :lol:

hillsdown":31ao125k said:
FarmGirl10":31ao125k said:

Sounds fattening and very yummy. Can you share the recipes please ?

Sucks that you two are spending your first Christmas as a married couple apart . :(

I pray that he and everyone serving overseas can come home very very soon to spend everyday with their loved ones ,not just the holidays . :heart:
I will post them for you tomorrow! Decided to make them hot coco mix too.

Thanks, the whole situation sucks. We already missed each others birthdays, now going to miss the holidays too. (Not to mention, that i had to shovel the snow myself) :( The only good thing about it is that next year the holidays are going to be that much better!

hillsdown":36wos4ld said:
slick4591":36wos4ld said:
Yum. I like Twix.

Maybe you can make a Twix crème brûlée cheesecake . I make Caramilk cheesecake once and a while ;it is so good that you gain weight just by smelling it . :lol:

I sure like the way you're thinking.
t2821.gif

Twix -

Shortbread layer:
1/2 cup salted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cups All-Purpose Flour

Press into 9x9 pan, poke holes with fork, and bake at 300 until golden brown
Let cool

Caramel:
1/2 cup butter
2 tbsp Corn Syrup
1/2 cup condensed milk
1/2 cup brown sugar

Combine saucepan stir constantly till boil. reduce heat stir 5 minutes. Pour over base and let cool.

Then pour a bag of melted chocolate chips over top. Or if your feeling ambitious cut them into strips and dip them. I find it to be more trouble than it was worth.

HD, this is the recipe i found online for the Fudge. I haven't tried it yet, because after looking at the temp it wants you to bring the mix too it didn't seem right. Unless that's in Celsius and not Fahrenheit. :? So the guys are getting Scotcheroos instead. :)

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Fudge

1 3/4 c. sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 c. milk
1 Tbs corn syrup
3/4 tsp kosher salt
2 Tbs unsalted butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup flour
1/3 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
Spray an 8x8 inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.

In a 3-quart saucepan, combine the sugars, cream, milk, corn syrup and salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the mixture reaches 242 degrees (ie the soft-ball stage). Remove from heat and stir in the butter, vanilla, and flour.

Pour the mixture into a 9x13 inch casserole dish, and allow to cool until it reaches 110 degrees, 10 to 20 minutes.

Use a large spoon to scrape the mixture in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat at medium speed until the fudge thickens and holds its shape, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer the fudge to the prepared 8x8 inch dish and smooth the top with a spatula. Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the top, pressing them lightly into the fudge.

Allow to set at least 2 hours. If it's not setting up, cover and refrigerate for a few hours. Cut into squares and store in an airtight container.

Always up for a recipe swap! Mine's in the oven now.

Chocolate Crème Brûlée Cheesecake

Crust:
1 cup finely crushed chocolate sandwich cookies (I use an extra 1/2 of butter and cookies)
1 Tbsp. margarine or butter, melted

Filling:
3 (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. vanilla (heaping)
3 eggs
8 square Baker's Semi-Sweet Chocolate, melted, slightly cooled
1/4 cup hazelnut liqueur (optional)
Topping:
1/2 cup packed soft brown sugar
1 Tbsp. water

Heat oven to 325(F).

Crust: Mix crumb and margarine/butter; press onto bottom of 9-inch springform pan. Bake 10 minutes; allow crust to cool completely.

Filing: Beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla at medium speed with electric mixer until well blended. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing at low speed after each addition; just until blended. Blend in melted chocolate and liqueur; mix well and then pour over crust.

Bake 60-65 minutes or until center is almost set. (The center will look as though it is not finished baking, but this will set once it's cooled.) Refrigerate 5 hours or overnight.
*Adding that I always cook this cake in a water bath.

Topping: Just before serving, heat broiler. Mix brown sugar and water; spread over the cheesecake. Place on cake on a baking sheet. Broil 4 - 6 " from heat 1 to 1 1/2 minutes or until topping is bubbly.

Slick, that sounds amazing! I'm going to have to make it when my husband comes home on R&R! :)