Itchy Cow

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

One of our cows calved last week. This is her first calf. She's a fairly small Hereford, but she did well.

About a month prior to her calving she started to itch terribly and rub off patches of hair on her shoulders and her neck. I figured it was a combo of her being uncomfortable and it being spring - starting to warm up a little and all.

Well she's still itching. I'm starting to wonder if she's got a parasite or something. But none of the other cows are acting like that and her calf isn't itchy.

She's not got a very large bag either, and her calf is constantly trying to get more when there doesn't seem to be more to get. (he's growing though, and plenty energetic) I wonder if she'd produce more milk if she weren't stressed by whatever is making her itch so bad.

Any ideas?

Thanks. Lisa

[email protected]

She most likely has lice, which are very common in cattle in late winter/early spring. Treat her with a pour-on to kill the lice and she should improve quickly.

Being pregnant or the fact that it's spring wouldn't cause the kind of itching and scratching you are describing.

Since she's a first calf heifer, you would be doing her a big favor to treat her now. Her condition should improve and she should do far better feeding her calf if she's not also feeding parasites.

> One of our cows calved last week.
> This is her first calf. She's a
> fairly small Hereford, but she did
> well.

> About a month prior to her calving
> she started to itch terribly and
> rub off patches of hair on her
> shoulders and her neck. I figured
> it was a combo of her being
> uncomfortable and it being spring
> - starting to warm up a little and
> all.

> Well she's still itching. I'm
> starting to wonder if she's got a
> parasite or something. But none of
> the other cows are acting like
> that and her calf isn't itchy.

> She's not got a very large bag
> either, and her calf is constantly
> trying to get more when there
> doesn't seem to be more to get.
> (he's growing though, and plenty
> energetic) I wonder if she'd
> produce more milk if she weren't
> stressed by whatever is making her
> itch so bad.

> Any ideas?

> Thanks. Lisa

If you don't have a regular deworming practice, it would be a good time to start one. The pour-on for de-worming will take care of your issues. We de-worm twice a year. I know of other people that do the same and every now and then still get a case of lice.

Brian.

[email protected]

That's the thing. We do have a regular routine. We de-worm them in the fall. The vet said we'd only need to do it once a year though. Looks like we may have to re-evaluate that a little.

Trouble with a pour on right now is the rain. And we don't have facilities to put her in out of the rain.

Wouldn't the other cows have lice too if that were the case? One cow grooms this one all the time, I'd think she'd show the same signs if it were a parasite. That's why I'm confused. But a little extra anti-parasite measures won't hurt.

Thanks Lisa

[email protected]

> That's the thing. We do have a
> regular routine. We de-worm them
> in the fall. The vet said we'd
> only need to do it once a year
> though. Looks like we may have to
> re-evaluate that a little.

> Trouble with a pour on right now
> is the rain. And we don't have
> facilities to put her in out of
> the rain.

> Wouldn't the other cows have lice
> too if that were the case? One cow
> grooms this one all the time, I'd
> think she'd show the same signs if
> it were a parasite. That's why I'm
> confused. But a little extra
> anti-parasite measures won't hurt.

> Thanks Lisa

Is there a right or wrong de-wormer (i'm assuming that kills lice to) to put on a pregnant or lactating cow?

[email protected]

Look into Eprinex as a wet weather pour on wormer. I don't find it to be quite as effective as Ivomec, but it sure beats not doing anything by a long shot.

<A HREF="http://us.merial.com/producers/dairy/products/dairy_ivomec_eprinex.asp" TARGET="_blank">http://us.merial.com/producers/dairy/products/dairy_ivomec_eprinex.asp</A>

> Is there a right or wrong
> de-wormer (i'm assuming that kills
> lice to) to put on a pregnant or
> lactating cow?

There is a type available for lactating cows that is different for non-lactating. Check the box before you take it home. Also, I wanted to mention that we use fly tags in the ears and we get the kind that help with lice and other parasites. I put the tags in the ears in early April (sometimes late March depending upon weather) and frequently will need to retag in September for a warm fall. Most of these tags only work for about 5 months. We are in North Central Texas and have a parasite season exceeding 5 months.

Brian.

[email protected]

> One cow
> grooms this one all the time, I'd
> think she'd show the same signs if
> it were a parasite. That's why I'm
> confused.

Now you have hit on something Lisa. Why is the other cow grooming her? Does she sweat and the other cow lick the sweat? Does she have a fever? Possibly the other cow is just friendly, but what is it doing to her coat and skin. All that licking may dry out her coat and skin, or it just might be that it is causing an alergy.

I agree that Di is probably way off base, but calling her a moron is a bit out of line, don't you think?

> You are a complete moron.

Latest posts