italian meat breeds

Help Support CattleToday:

piccone

Reaction score
chianina, romagnola, or marchigiana-what breed is "best" and what breed is hardest to get in this country ---thanks

I don't know which is "best" but I know I'd have hell trying to find some marchigiana cattle around NE Oklahoma! Why do you ask?

Do your homework before you go out and buy some of these breeds. The heavier muscled (often double muscled) breeds, like Piedmontese, often have a hard time calving.

I know there is a niche market for some of these breeds but for me it isn't worth the aggravation of having to be there everytime a cow is calving; not to mention the economic costs of vet bills, death loss, extra labor, etc.

thats right just stick with the basics and you cant go wrong angus bulls and any type cow will do well at the market...

im telling you thats the bottom line profit over extra work ......

I'm reading & being told that one of the "good" traits of Romagnola is "ease of calving". Does anyone have first-hand knowledge???

if i had to pick one based on what knowledge i have about those three breeds which is little-miniscule i'd go with romagnola. no good reason. no experience. 2nd choice would be marchigiana. chianinas i would think would be the easiest to find since a lot of people cross chis with angus for show purposes. i would guess marchigiana would be the hardest to come by... but i'm just guessing.

piccone":1am867q0 said:
chianina, romagnola, or marchigiana-what breed is "best" and what breed is hardest to get in this country ---thanks

All these should ring the bell at the sale barn! Ha Ha I just as soon have a dose of :clap:

UG":21mz68x4 said:
Do your homework before you go out and buy some of these <a href="http://cattle-today.com"><font color="red">breeds</font></a>. The heavier muscled (often double muscled) <a href="http://cattle-today.com"><font color="red">breeds</font></a>, like Piedmontese, often have a hard time calving.

I know there is a niche market for some of these <a href="http://cattle-today.com"><font color="red">breeds</font></a> but for me it isn't worth the aggravation of having to be there everytime a cow is calving; not to mention the economic costs of vet bills, death loss, extra labor, etc.

We have not experienced out of the ordinary calving problems with our Piedmontese. There is a growing demand for this breed. Laura's lean is offering bonuses per head of Piedmontese sired cattle.

We brought the Chianina in 35 years ago because all the english breeds needed a shot of size at that time, and they likely helped the Angus most of all. Chianina is one of those breeds which will give a moderate to small frame cow a calf with some frame and pounds at weaning as a F1. I am like another fellow asked, Why do you ask the question? Because most breeds have a place, it could be limited but they do. I have calved fairly large numbers of all three breeds and the Chianina is by far the eaiser calving.

Latest posts