Italian Breeds

Help Support CattleToday:

CopeMan

Reaction score
What are some of the differences between Romagnola, Markys, and Piedmontese, and also Chianinas, other than those long legs?What are some of the traits of these breeds? How might they be better than one another?

The continental breeds, including the italian breeds were developed for multiple purpose. Milk, meat or draft. Somtimes all three. Those legs are what helps to make a good ox.

dun

sillco":10g2jem1 said:
Those long legs on a cow don't make much money. It is the depth of the gert that makes the money.

Yeah, but my question is,are there any significant differences between the breeds? For instance if I wanted to use one of these breeds for a terminal sire would it really matter which one I chose? They all seem alike to me.So really what Im asking is...........Are theyre any differences between Romagnola, Piedmontese or Markys? Other than being big, grey, continental Italians?

Hello:
If your looking for more breed information contact the different breed assn. they can help answer some of your questions.

There is the OK University breeds web page that also has some details about some of the different breeds.

With in every breed of livestock there are different bloodlines

CopeMan":1zra93yv said:
Yeah, but my question is,are there any significant differences between the breeds? For instance if I wanted to use one of these breeds for a terminal sire would it really matter which one I chose? They all seem alike to me.So really what Im asking is...........Are theyre any differences between Romagnola, Piedmontese or Markys? Other than being big, grey, continental Italians?
i breed with romagnola because they are not as musculed as the piedmotese,and the chianina are much longer in the legs so i dont use them.dont know about the other breed dont have them in australia.the reason for thr rom is low birth weights.i think the the piedmonts are called doubled muscled animals here ,and i know you can have some calving problems unless you use large framed cows.i cross rom bull with anug cows .

tracy":2dg2avge said:
CopeMan":2dg2avge said:
i breed with romagnola because they are not as musculed as the piedmotese,and the chianina are much longer in the legs so i dont use them.dont know about the other breed dont have them in australia.the reason for thr rom is low birth weights.i think the the piedmonts are called doubled muscled animals here ,and i know you can have some calving problems unless you use large framed cows.i cross rom bull with anug cows .
you could try Marchigiana they are a bit more muscled than Romagnolas and have low birth weights too.

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate A. delaGarzas posts. How many Cows do you have A. delaGarza and what are you breeds are you runnin?If crosses, what are you using?

CopeMan":242qmdig said:
Thanks for the info. I really appreciate A. delaGarzas posts. How many Cows do you have A. delaGarza and what are you breeds are you runnin?If crosses, what are you using?
I'm a CO-OP breeder together with my 4 brothers we own nearly 8000 heads, we breed several kinds of breeds specially Continentals. We breed mainly Simmental & Simbrah, Charolaise & Canchim (Brazilian Charbray), Limousin, Braunvieh, Normande, Tarentaise, the several bos Indicus breeds and Longhorns in the registered basis, of the Italians we breed Romagnola and Marchigiana. In the commercial basis our herds are mainly Continentals with bos Indicus influence and we have a Romagnola base herd too. We're beganing to use some Angus blood in our commercials even though we have use Shorthorns, Salers and Herefords in the past. We export all of our steers to the US. We also own several Jersey, Guernsey and Ayrshire cows as a hobby and we sell milk, homemade cheese, butter and cream to our friends and relatives.

CopeMan":2on2cxrx said:
What are some of the differences between Romagnola, Markys, and Piedmontese, and also Chianinas, other than those long legs?What are some of the traits of these breeds? How might they be better than one another?

the pieds are one of the most docile of all breedsthey are double muscled and according to research of many universities and usda reports they as a cross they have about 14% less fat they are more tender and are number 1 in yeild also #1 in total ribeye area. if you need more information on pieds go to this site http://www.piedmontese-napa.com just found this site and saw your question. the pieds carry two coppies of the myostatin gene when a fullblood is crossewd with any other animal one copy is allways passed on. john hopkins univerity made this discovery a little over three years ago. it is called the tenderness gene.

We have raised saler cattle and we have crossed them with several different bulls to get a great tasting organic beef. We found that the Roms are by FAR the Best. We tried Peids and they did not grow up. We tried Belgiun Blue and they tasted terrible, we have tried all the angus and herfords and Sims. But we have some of the best tasting beef in the west. We are selling it all over the US ands have offered a money back promise. We have never bought back a piece of Rom meat.
Also they are great to handle. The cows can be a bit too"maternal" hehe but that is what we like here in Wyoming woth the wolves and bears...
The bulls are big babies. My four children hand feed our range bulls. We are now members of the assoc. and highly recomend the breed. Pieds just didn't have the rate of gain or the flavor that the Roms do. We are weaning at 7-8 months at 900-1000 pounds. We are butchering at 15 months and we have 800 pound carcasses. We have around 65% cutabilty. Birth wieghts are anywhere between 65 pounds to 100 pounds. We have had no problems calving in over 9 years. Of course that has alot to do with fall calving and minerals and feed quality. We feed kelp instead of anipro or loomix. I hope this helps you with what is the difference, In short, There is No comparison ... fur us it is Rom all the way.

I will like some more information on your Romagnola cross organic beef, a friend of mine that has the same bussiness (he sells organic beef in Mexico) does not believe me of the great advantages of using Romagnola cross calves in his organic feedlot.
Where I could contact you?

HeartMtnValleyRanch":k22476zf said:
We have raised saler cattle and we have crossed them with several different bulls to get a great tasting organic beef. We found that the Roms are by FAR the Best. We tried Peids and they did not grow up. We tried Belgiun Blue and they tasted terrible, we have tried all the angus and herfords and Sims. But we have some of the best tasting beef in the west. We are selling it all over the US ands have offered a money back promise. We have never bought back a piece of Rom meat.
Also they are great to handle. The cows can be a bit too"maternal" hehe but that is what we like here in Wyoming woth the wolves and bears...
The bulls are big babies. My four children hand feed our range bulls. We are now members of the assoc. and highly recomend the breed. Pieds just didn't have the rate of gain or the flavor that the Roms do. We are weaning at 7-8 months at 900-1000 pounds. We are butchering at 15 months and we have 800 pound carcasses. We have around 65% cutabilty. Birth wieghts are anywhere between 65 pounds to 100 pounds. We have had no problems calving in over 9 years. Of course that has alot to do with fall calving and minerals and feed quality. We feed kelp instead of anipro or loomix. I hope this helps you with what is the difference, In short, There is No comparison ... fur us it is Rom all the way.

Latest posts