It Wasn't Ringworm - What Breed Though?

Help Support CattleToday:

Walking W

Reaction score
I posted pictures back in March of my steer that was losing hair around the eyes and neck. Many forum members suggested possible ringworm with the majority recommending that time and sunlight would fix my problem for me. Here are some before and after pictures. While I don't think it was ringworm, the recommendation was still the right one. I think this guy was just losing his winter coat. Now I am wondering what breed this guy might be. I purchased him thinking red angus but after the winter coat was gone, he doesn't look anything like my other red angus. He does have a pink nose and pink hooves. I am attaching pictures from March and today. Any thoughts on possible breed? Also any suggestions might help me decide when to start finishing him for the freezer. He is 9-10 months old and I estimate 600-625 lbs right now.

Rafter S":2m0777st said:
All we can do is guess, but maybe Red Angus x Charolais?
I understand. This guy came from around Gainesville, TX. Probably nothing exotic. I do know there are red and black angus in the herd as well as at least one Santa Gertrudis cow. The guy sells a few from the herd of about 200 every month. I guess that's his monthly paycheck. I'll assume it's an angus cross and start feeding out at 750 lbs then shoot for finishing to about 1200 lbs live weight.

I have some 3 way cross animals of differnt amounts, being gelbvieh, red angus and charolais that tend to lose the hair around their eyes like that in spring. I guess I probably see it in the gelbvieh more so, but its tough to say, certain animals do it more than others.

bja105":2cz2ovqp said:
Doesn't the ring around the nose indicate some Jersey?
I was thinking the same thing about the look but there is no black/dark color on the nose, around the eyes or on the legs and hooves. Also, at nine to ten months old, he seems a little heavy for a Jersey cross.

Supa Dexta":21amtj6o said:
I have some 3 way cross animals of differnt amounts, being gelbvieh, red angus and charolais that tend to lose the hair around their eyes like that in spring. I guess I probably see it in the gelbvieh more so, but its tough to say, certain animals do it more than others.
Thanks

Latest posts