It was a bad day

Help Support CattleToday:

rockridgecattle

Reaction score
So the day starts off well. After breakfast head out to check on the cows. Hubby brings the tractor to feed as well. I am in my rav 4 and it goes where the 4 wheeler can not. Amazing
Any how, i hear a cow bellering in the cow calf pen. Head in for an inspection, calf looks like it just up and dropped dead. Called the vet for some ideas and she told me to post the calf and send her some pics if i wanted. It gets better...
Now both hubby and i are driving school bus again. I got called up from the spare list to help out. As luck would have it, a hour before we leave, we have 4 cows calving, not getting down to business, but getting the party started so to speak. Praying and praying hard.
As soon as i get home I am out there like a shot. One on the ground, one looks to be in distress. You all know the look...with the ugly string hanging out.

So, into the chute, glove up clean the cow and check. Feet under the calf, get them up. Head is off to the side, funny feeling (dead), but still forward. I get the chains on, pull abit, go back in to check on the head, still not on top. Hubby gets home and comes out. We hook up the calf jack, add some tension and i go back in to get the head and it is gone. It fell back under the cow. Now hubby hates having problems like this and leaves me to go in and get the head. I admit he tried, but decided to let me have a go at it. That head was down deep. So, hubby calls the vet, they chat, she comes out. It takes about a half hour to get from the clinic to our place, vet speed, 20 minutes. She tells me to try and push the calf back in and work on her untils she arrives. So, here i am covered in everything cow, both arms in the cow working the calf back in. Still can not get at the head. The vet comes out, inspects, and goes for the head. Her arms are 4" longer than mine and she is able to snare the jaw. I get to go back in to grab the head, unfortunately, size does matter and still can not reach it. She goes in, gets the head up a bit more, I follow her arm in...yes two arms in the cow and find the head. Then, in a way only vets do, she grabs the calf by the eye sockets and pulls it up. Both of us are pulling the calf now. I am on the chains, she has the head. Then she gives us a lesson in the puller. Ya know ya think you've been doing it right all these years....like pa before and pa before him...
The calf comes out, I am covered in blood, dead calf, live cow, some drugs for the cow, she is now eating and missing her baby. Problem though, slightly fevered at the calf pull. Why? Because the calf died about 12 hours earlier (vet called it) and these warm temps have the cows heating. Fevers set in more quickly on things like this. After the pull, the vet inspects the uterus. It had a small tear, not all the way through. This is why all the blood. This happened when I tried to push the calf back in. I did it. Not the vet. So, once the meds withdrawals are over, she, the cow, will be going for a short ride. Not her fault I know, but cows are bringing a good price, she does not owe us anything, been a good keeper. Breed back is compromised, and since she is old, might as well get something for her.
So, what happened? How did two seasoned cow producers miss this cow in labour? The idea is, being she is older, and we were calving in 25-27 degree heat, she tired out fast. So, since we check every 2-3 hours, she played out early and we missed her. Thing is, we do not usually have this kind of weather. Normally there is still 2 feet of snow out there and stinking cold. Our fault, we dropped the ball with this one.
Then, if that did not take the cake, while she was out, hubby mentions a cow with a lump jaw that will not heal. So cow in the chute, some LA, try to lance and some IV sodium iodine.
Then off to the dead calf to post mortem since i did not get the chance to do it. Man can she cut a calf fast. First into the hip joint to see if it was damaged from stepping on, then the shoulder joint. Then she skins the chest and stomach area and cuts the rib cage...in less than 5 minutes...like two.
From there we examine the heart lungs, liver and stomach area. We could see it was getting enough feed. The intestines were developed and not twisted. The liver was enlarged and fluid on the lungs and an odd shaped heart. The two day old calf died of a heart condition.

Dang, what is a calving season without some bloody clothes?
And if that did not beat all, a cow just about put me up a fence cause father in law spooked her. He got as a joke gift these coveralls that highways guys and gals wear. Bright orange with reflector tape. She took one look at him and got a bit messed in the head...as did the rest of the herd.
Tomorrow, it is making sure the dead calf momma cleaned, treating a matistis case (first one in about 10 years) tag and bag calves and then feed bees.

sure 'nuff a busy day.

It's a lucky farmer who sees a breech or headback delivery pushing. I think I might have figured out the reasons long ago but forgotten, usually the cow just stands around looking miserable.
Is that 25 - 27 Celsius? In March? That's high summer temperatures.

Ya, those were the temps. More the normal this week with temps just above freezing and in and around the 10 mark...Celcius. Wild warm spell which broke many many records

Another one born dead. Big calf with the sack over the face

This is a hard one to swallow for hubby. He is beating himself up over this one and is ready to sell the herd. Losses like this are unheard of for us.
I do not know how guys calve in later spring and fence and seed at the same time and come out on top. Here we are feeding bees due to the weather, a bit early, and calving and can not keep it together. Well off for my check. It has to get better...right?

rockridgecattle":35epi5qa said:
It has to get better...right?

Yes, it will get better eventually. Sorry to hear you're having such a rough time. As you know it happens to all of us eventually, from time to time. Unfortunately I guess its your turn.

About 3 years ago we had our turn and it wasn't a pleasant experience.

Here's hoping that you've seen the last of the major difficulties for a long time.

It WILL get better.

Katherine

sorry yall are getting hitt with some bad days calving.but that happens with cattle.we lost a calf like that a few days ago.was checking cows twice a day an brother found it on the 2nd check.dont know what happened.

Hey, RR don't you guys beat yourselves up too much. You can't literally live with them and these things happen. We had a bad enough run this spring too, saved some, lost a couple. One was a head first presentation, we knew she was calving, but by the time we decided that there was a problem it was too late. Ended up taking her to the vet as we couldn't keep the head coming either. Another was a perfectly normal calf just laying there dead. With the amount of fluids surrounding him when we found him I think he was either backwards or had the sac over his head. One fell in a badger hole when he was a week old, and another just laid down and died. Oh and then there was the mastitis cow that we didn't figure out til too late. Calf died in the end, didn't get any colostrum.

Just gotta look on the positive side of things, 2 breeches we saved, 2 upside downs we saved, a backwards, a leg back, and DH saved one with the sac over its face because of the barn cam, and a couple more like that because we were out there and lucky. Plus 3 live sets of twins, and only had to assist the one set....

I'm sure you have had good stuff happen, just concentrate on it and let the bad stuff pass over, it will. You guys are good cattle managers and I know you are doing the best that you can.

It will get better.
What is beyond control isn't worth raising stress levels over.
Anyway, that breech I had last spring never came into milk and I've just culled her open six months later, a total waste of raising her for 2 1/2 years and she was the daughter of a nice cow. I posted about her here at the time... I saw her in the morning with her tail up slightly, gut instinct said 'this is wrong' but I was busy and decided she'd probably calved and was hiding the calf. It was another five hours before I brought her in and pulled that calf.

Don't own them if you're afraid of losing them. :nod: I've found that with both cattle and bees it is not worth the time to baby them... They either get it done or they don't and meddling from me beyond basic health care is usually a disapointment as it propigates more livestock that need my intervention... Best to lose them upfront and move foreward with the stuff that works.

rockridgecattle":3req94w9 said:
Losses like this are unheard of for us. I do not know how guys calve in later spring and fence and seed at the same time and come out on top.

Some get lucky. Some do hard cull'in. Most just lie a lot.

Actual weaning percentages are lower than many realize or admit. :nod:
When we were rookies and buying a lot of (problem) cows our weaning percentage was in the 70's :shock:

what is that saying..."the plans of mice and men" or "tell God your plans so he can laugh"
The first order of the day was to go to town to get my allergy needles. The appointment was for 1030 and home at 430...a mild anaphaltic reaction, IV meds, oral meds and saline solution. Then went and worked cows. 4 gloves on the wrist to keep out any poop or blood from the iv wound. What a day

Live calf though and one on the way. Things might be looking up

Latest posts