It Takes a Village?

Help Support CattleToday:

Son of Butch

Reaction score
It seems to me too many cooks spoil the soup.

Last week 5th circuit court Judge Kathleen Wantanabe fined Robert Demond $200 and sentenced him to 1 year probation for endangering the welfare of a minor. Demond has no prior offenses and the age of his son was not revealed.

October 2013 Robert Demond picked up his son at school after a rule breaking incident at the school.
Demond explained that as he drove off he asked his son about the incident and the boy failed to respond.
He pulled the car over on the highway and told the boy to walk the 1 mile home and think about what he had done.
Demond told the judge that it was a common form of punishment when he was a kid and that he didn't see it as morally wrong.

The judge disagreed ruling the punishment "old fashioned and inappropriate" It is dangerous for a child to walk along side
of a road. It is a form of punishment no longer considered acceptable by the community."
The County prosecuting attorney said afterwards, "It was clear the defendant acted with the intent to teach his child a lesson
and did not act out of anger. But that the discipline was not an appropriate way for Demond to correct his son's behavior.
The office of the prosecuting attorney would not divulge any further information.

How did this all end up in court?
Several minutes after dropping the boy off, Demond circled back and became frantic when he couldn't find his son.
Turned out a neighbor saw the boy walking and returned him to school.

So what do you think is the moral of the story?
A. It takes a village to raise a child.
B. Too many cooks spoil the soup.
or
C. Other

C. Other

If the kid is school age he's too old for this punishment to be effective.

Our mum used to do it. The result was always a toddler running frantically after the moving car. At which point the car stopped, the toddler was collected presumably having promised good behaviour.

She tried it when we were older but it was only a bluff, she refused to let her children out of the car when any of them took her up on the offer to walk home. I personally think you shouldn't lie to a child by saying they can walk home when they can't - so the moral of that story is, don't lie to your kids.

I read somewhere that people don't walk anywhere in the US, not like we do in Europe or NZ and other places in the world, and that there is no provision for walking along the side of the road (a visitor to the US wrote that, can't remember where I read it). I won't say it's not dangerous in Britain, but at least cars are aware that people can and do walk on their roads.

That beach Billary started that saying in one of her speeches.

All the limp wristed weak dicks picked it up.

I suspect from this response you can see that I believe you need another option.

Should we shoot the idiots who try to run our lives?

Cheers

Bez__

If the judge disliked his option he would have liked mine even less.
Always told mine I can't make you learn but I dam sure can
make you mind and sit quietly.

Son of Butch":38x2px0r said:
It seems to me too many cooks spoil the soup.

Last week 5th circuit court Judge Kathleen Wantanabe fined Robert Demond $200 and sentenced him to 1 year probation for endangering the welfare of a minor. Demond has no prior offenses and the age of his son was not revealed.

October 2013 Robert Demond picked up his son at school after a rule breaking incident at the school.
Demond explained that as he drove off he asked his son about the incident and the boy failed to respond.
He pulled the car over on the highway and told the boy to walk the 1 mile home and think about what he had done.
Demond told the judge that it was a common form of punishment when he was a kid and that he didn't see it as morally wrong.

The judge disagreed ruling the punishment "old fashioned and inappropriate" It is dangerous for a child to walk along side
of a road. It is a form of punishment no longer considered acceptable by the community."
The County prosecuting attorney said afterwards, "It was clear the defendant acted with the intent to teach his child a lesson
and did not act out of anger. But that the discipline was not an appropriate way for Demond to correct his son's behavior.
The office of the prosecuting attorney would not divulge any further information.

How did this all end up in court?
Several minutes after dropping the boy off, Demond circled back and became frantic when he couldn't find his son.
Turned out a neighbor saw the boy walking and returned him to school.

So what do you think is the moral of the story?
A. It takes a village to raise a child.
B. Too many cooks spoil the soup.
or
C. Other

What would you expect from the POS adopted home state.

regolith":jt2rwn41 said:
C. Other

If the kid is school age he's too old for this punishment to be effective.

Our mum used to do it. The result was always a toddler running frantically after the moving car. At which point the car stopped, the toddler was collected presumably having promised good behaviour.

She tried it when we were older but it was only a bluff, she refused to let her children out of the car when any of them took her up on the offer to walk home. I personally think you shouldn't lie to a child by saying they can walk home when they can't - so the moral of that story is, don't lie to your kids.

I read somewhere that people don't walk anywhere in the US, not like we do in Europe or NZ and other places in the world, and that there is no provision for walking along the side of the road (a visitor to the US wrote that, can't remember where I read it). I won't say it's not dangerous in Britain, but at least cars are aware that people can and do walk on their roads.

No we don't walk like in Europe the county I live in is bigger than some European countries.
To go from one side of my state to the other is 750 miles, heII I have to drive 20 miles one way
for a gallon of milk and a loaf of bread.
Now you get on the east coast or around the major blue metropolitan areas there is plenty of mass
transit for those that live like chickens in a coop.

I can't form an opinion about this without knowing the age of the child. If he was five, then the father's actions were inappropriate. If he was 14 then I don't have a problem with it.

Rafter S":da43cb9j said:
I can't form an opinion about this without knowing the age of the child. If he was five, then the father's actions were inappropriate. If he was 14 then I don't have a problem with it.

We walked from first grade on.
You could ride a stick horse if you wanted to it was farther than a mile as well.
Jed it is no different anywhere today remember the two young girls in midwest.

so now the kid knows his dad wont do squat cuz the judge will be on his side..nice..guy was a dope for not making the kid walk next to the car..other than that maybe the judge can leave work to go pick that kid up from school when hes 15 and just punched the teacher. ah...gooberment steps in it again..

No, it doesn't "take a village". It takes voters that care enough to try and reverse the legislative damage done at least as far back as the "great society" that LBJ put forth. He ushered in the breakdown of the family unit and which IMO is the single most contributing factor to the demise of any culture.
As far as the dad goes, he better not send a Twinkie to school with his kid next...the food police will have him back in court.

Well, I have kicked my daughter out of the car when she was a kid and made her walk also. :hide:
However, I did not leave. I followed behind her. That way I could turn up the radio and not have to hear her whaling.
Did she learn anything from it? Probably not. But it gave me a few minutes of peace! :D
It must have meant something to her, because at 35 she still remembers it!

Dang my parents would have been sentenced to life. I got spanked, I got sent to bed with no dinner, told I couldn't eat lunch unless I finished the weekend chores. That was for being smart sneaking out the house to go hang out with friends then coming home for lunch parents were there eating, I asked where is my plate and my mom's reply was where were you this morning when we were mowing the grass and doing yard work no work no eat. Never pulled that stunt again. As long as kids aren't abused leave the parenting to the parents and walking home ain't abuse if the kid was to young dad should of just followed him.

Whether or not you agree about making the kid walk as a form of punishment, at worst the dad was guilty of "a bad day parenting", just like anyone who has kids will have from time to time. No shape way or form was it criminal, or child abuse, and should have never come before the judge!

wacocowboy":375i2p2f said:
Dang my parents would have been sentenced to life. I got spanked, I got sent to bed with no dinner, told I couldn't eat lunch unless I finished the weekend chores. That was for being smart sneaking out the house to go hang out with friends then coming home for lunch parents were there eating, I asked where is my plate and my mom's reply was where were you this morning when we were mowing the grass and doing yard work no work no eat. Never pulled that stunt again. As long as kids aren't abused leave the parenting to the parents and walking home ain't abuse if the kid was to young dad should of just followed him.

I got back handed away from the supper table at 17.
You never showed up to my moms table without shirt shoes washed up hair combed the whole nine yards.
I was running late got there just in time and sat down. I said ew is that what we are having.
All I seen was the back of dad's hand coming and was on the floor.
Next I heard if you don't have anything good to say poke and grit.
Poke your feet under the table and grit your dam teeth.
I still hate collard greens today.

Caustic Burno":1uws9t7h said:
wacocowboy":1uws9t7h said:

I got back handed away from the supper table at 17.
You never showed up to my moms table without shirt shoes washed up hair combed the whole nine yards.
I was running late got there just in time and sat down. I said ew is that what we are having.
All I seen was the back of dad's hand coming and was on the floor.
Next I heard if you don't have anything good to say poke and grit.
Poke your feet under the table and grit your dam teeth.
I still hate collard greens today.

Yeah I knew better than to complain about what was on the table you either ate what was on the table or you didn't eat at all. You were required to take some of everything not just what you like and couldn't leave the table till your plate was clean. There are lots of foods I don't eat now that I am grown and greens is one of them

Latest posts