It is OK to eat red meat.......

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
https://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20190930/controversial-studies-say-its-ok-to-eat-red-meat

Sept. 30, 2019 -- A group of papers about red and processed meat and human health, released today by Annals of Internal Medicine, says it's OK to eat them because researchers couldn't find any links to health problems like heart disease and cancer.

I asked my doctor once how much cholesterol was in the average forage. If eating red meat causes my "high" cholesterol where do the cattle get the high cholesterol from? Makes no sense to me.

Why would you consult your doctor and not your animal nutritionist about forages?
Seems like you're wasting his time and your money.
IF you want a real answer ask his opinion on your diet and exercise vs your cholesterol levels
and how animal fats might be influencing them.

I talked to a hard core liberal (preacher) Saturday night and she said that beef had a marketing problem. Basically, we are not defending ourselves.

FYI - This liberal gal had a pasture full of really nice heifers.

shaz said:
I talked to a hard core liberal (preacher) Saturday night and she said that beef had a marketing problem. Basically, we are not defending ourselves.

FYI - This liberal gal had a pasture full of really nice heifers.

I'm inclined to agree that we have a beef marketing problem and that we haven't been defending ourselves. That's what I thought the $&@$ rip off dollars I mean check off dollars were for. The associations have let us down and sold us out big time.

Son of Butch said:
Why would you consult your doctor and not your animal nutritionist about forages?
Seems like you're wasting his time and your money.
IF you want a real answer ask his opinion on your diet and exercise vs your cholesterol levels
and how animal fats might be influencing them.

As per my standard my lack of wording has let me down in the getting the point across. None the less I was trying to expess the two are unrelated.

The problem is, even with all of the check off dollars, the activist groups still have more dollars and can outspend against animal ag and our good wholesome foods that we produce.

cbcr said:
The problem is, even with all of the check off dollars, the activist groups still have more dollars and can outspend against animal ag and our good wholesome foods that we produce.

The activists are vocal and funded as well as having multiple avenues of spewing their rhetoric. I could be wrong but as far as I can see I have seen little to nothing being done with OUR check off dollars, I see nothing of significance that is being done on our behalf. I feel like if it was we would know it and would see some fruit.

All summer I did a petting zoo at a local farmers market. It was the major draw to the event each week. Part of why I do it is to get people at least a tiny bit back in touch with agriculture. I do mean touch. I take very friendly animals and have the people come in the pen and pet, hug, kiss, follow around the animals. I take a couple of calves, sheep, goats, rabbits, and a mini horse. I try to educate people and tell them the other side to the activist bullcrap. I take a beef calf and a dairy calf. I show people that dairy bull calves are not all just killed at birth and they can live a great life upto the one bad day. I've taught children that most dairy cows would have horns if they had not been removed. Many people think if it has horns it is a bull but a cow is polled. I set them straight. I teach them that my wool sheep need to be shorn to be healthy. I take a hair lamb and a wool lamb. I take a meat goat (boer) and a pet type (pygmy). I try to explain to people that farmers dont abuse their animals as it cuts into the slim chance of profits to not do right by the animals. People seem so shocked that I can have 5 month old bulls with 2 year old kids petting them and the bull is just lying there chewing his cud. I do explain that they should not expect pasture cattle to be this docile so dont go into a pasture of cows you dont own it you might get smashed. Sometimes an animal, usually a calf or goat, will bash another animal. I give them an immediate correction. A few people look shocked but I do tell them that if I dont correct my 350 pound heifer then when she is 1200 she will think she is the boss cow and smash me. My point is that producers need to get into the community and try to get people back in touch in any way we can. Relate the animals to them. Teach them facts so they wont be so easily swayed by the activist nonsense. Example: I watched a crazy video a "rescue" group put out about a cow they rescued that was separated from its calf. They describe the calf as being so weak the next day when they "rescued " him that he was passing out. They kept saying he was near death from dehydration. So they open the trailer and a 5 month old Jersey steer comes out. As they are trying to lead him to the cow, he keeps doing the " jersey flop". I explain to people that the Jersey flop is like a temper tantrum that Jersey calves are famous for doing because they dont want to be led. He wasn't weak and dehydrated but just the opposite as he was strong enough to repeatedly tantrum. On another note. The Hereford momma must have had this one grafted onto her because genetics tells us a Hereford cow cant be the biological momma to a purebred Jersey calf. By explaining to people the problems with the activist claims, it makes them realize how the activist are lying to them about all of it. By the way, I had a Jersey there that demonstrated the Jersey flop.

Latest posts