It Is Done

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
It's done. At least all of the major construction. No more RR ties to set. No more poles to cut and put up. No more gates to hang. Still a little picky stuff to do. Last winter the heifers got to rubbing on the chute. It is about 16 inches out of line. Need to hook the tractor to it and pull it back where it belongs. I am going to build a little web mesh panel fence to keep cows from rubbing on the chute in the future. The place I want solid I need to hang that dryer felt on. But I picked up the tools which means the job is done. I am sure happy to be done.

To the right goes to the sweep. To the left goes to the sorting pens. The gate swings across shutting off one way and opening the other.

Man gate by the chute.

Man gate at the sweep end which was installed at the wife's request (last gate installed). Something about having to walk to far too many times in her life.

Two pens to sort into. The gate is swung all the way back at the second pen.

Sun in the eyes but the gate shuts off the alley coming back from the sort pens and directs the cattle into the sweep. Gate on the left is actually the sweep.

Dave said:
It's done. At least all of the major construction. No more RR ties to set. No more poles to cut and put up. No more gates to hang. Still a little picky stuff to do. Last winter the heifers got to rubbing on the chute. It is about 16 inches out of line. Need to hook the tractor to it and pull it back where it belongs. I am going to build a little web mesh panel fence to keep cows from rubbing on the chute in the future. The place I want solid I need to hang that dryer felt on. But I picked up the tools which means the job is done. I am sure happy to be done.

To the right goes to the sweep. To the left goes to the sorting pens. The gate swings across shutting off one way and opening the other.

Man gate by the chute.

Man gate at the sweep end which was installed at the wife's request (last gate installed). Something about having to walk to far too many times in her life.

Sun in the eyes but the gate shuts off the alley coming back from the sort pens and directs the cattle into the sweep. Gate on the left is actually the sweep.

Nice I like those chute gates work even better with a sheet of treated plywood on them . It's the end of the world to a bovine and no more testing the gates.

Caustic Burno said:
Dave said:

Man gate by the chute.

Nice I like those chute gates work even better with a sheet of treated plywood on them . It's the end of the world to a bovine and no more testing the gates.

I have a lot of that dryer felt. Looks like canvas but it has copper fibers woven into it. It lasts for ever. It is 7 feet wide and I have a couple hundred feet of it. Easier to hang than plywood and it was free.

Dave said:

Where do you get the dryer felts? You must have a friend from a paper mill.

simme said:
Dave said:

Where do you get the dryer felts? You must have a friend from a paper mill.
I got the 5 or 6 years ago from a friend who was a mill wright at the Weyerhauser pulp mill in Longview Washington. He has since retired. Then I retired and moved but I made sure to bring the dryer felt with me.

Latest posts