It hurts..

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Backstory:

I carry tree loppers on every truck, buggy, etc we have. There is always a oak limb, yaupon, mesquite, limb in the way some where. I had been lopping some yaupon limps at one place by some gate. I can cut them and catch them as they fall and throw them on a pile. Works pretty good. Save time and bending over or having them at your feet.

Fast forward:

I'm lopping a couple mesquite limbs for a game camera. Made through about 3 limbs with out grabbing for them... all good. I cut the forth one and grab for it. The brain is an amazing thing because I feel like it was telling my hand... don't do that!... but my hand did it any ways.

So I catch a big mesquite thorn right in the upper palm portion of my hand. Right where the creases meet, where your thumb and pointer make an L. It goes deep and hurts like a sog.

For as much as I'm around mesquite it's been a good while since I've peen jabbed like that.

So today my pointer and thumb joints hurt, kind of feel swollen. Reminds you when you get hit by a scorpion.

In conclusion:

It's hurts being stupid. 😄

Locust trees are horrible. I am battling a bunch of them on a property I am taming right now and YES they hurt like a SOG!!
Honey locust thorn went clear through the sole of Mr TC's boots and impaled his foot a few years back. Swelled up like a tick and, based on the profanities, definitely hurt like a SOG.

I don't know if it's true, but have heard the thorns were used as nails in the 1800's.

It's hurts being stupid
Yes! Yes, it does. I'll also include bull-headed.

Loading calves last Dec and had some 750 lb. steers in the trap. One got a little feisty and I jumped up on a panel, but still got slammed. Ended up with a bruise near my shin the size of Dallas that eventually segued down to my foot. It happens, walk it off. Except a couple weeks later, the bruise freakin' opened up and it was naaaaasty. WTH???? Slathered on some Neosporin and a large Band-Aid, called it good. Except it didn't heal. And in spite of Mr TC's urging me to go to the Dr, I didn't get around to it and had a ton of excuses (most of them were legit). Finally caved and I hate when he's right. Penicillin the size of horse pills didn't do the trick and eventually ended up with a surgical debridement with allograft umbilical tissue to remove the necrotic tissue and generate cell rejuvenation. Yes, they sewed an umbilical cord inside the now crater-sized hole in my leg. Eweeee!!! Three+ months later, it still isn't completely healed, I will always have a giant scar and shorts/short dresses are gone. Nobody wants to see that!

It hurts being stupid.

Yes! Yes, it does. I'll also include bull-headed.

Loading calves last Dec and had some 750 lb. steers in the trap. One got a little feisty and I jumped up on a panel, but still got slammed. Ended up with a bruise near my shin the size of Dallas that eventually segued down to my foot. It happens, walk it off. Except a couple weeks later, the bruise freakin' opened up and it was naaaaasty. WTH???? Slathered on some Neosporin and a large Band-Aid, called it good. Except it didn't heal. And in spite of Mr TC's urging me to go to the Dr, I didn't get around to it and had a ton of excuses (most of them were legit). Finally caved and I hate when he's right. Penicillin the size of horse pills didn't do the trick and eventually ended up with a surgical debridement with allograft umbilical tissue to remove the necrotic tissue and generate cell rejuvenation. Yes, they sewed an umbilical cord inside the now crater-sized hole in my leg. Eweeee!!! Three+ months later, it still isn't completely healed, I will always have a giant scar and shorts/short dresses are gone. Nobody wants to see that!

It hurts being stupid.
WOW. Should have gone to the Drs TC, those big bruises can cause thrombosis which it probably did in your case. You probably needed a bit of heparin at the time. My Dad had a chronic ulcer on his lower leg for as long as I can remember that always needed dressing, it originated from a minor injury in the tropics during the war. I am a bit paranoid about lower leg injuries, look after it TC.
I'd overlook the scar TC.

Ken

Ken

Got kicked in the mouth by a big heifer Saturday.
Worst kick of my life was to my upper thigh when loading a 1300 lb market steer.
Showed the deep bruise in the shape of a hoof to my doctor the following week.
He said: "Impressive." I asked, "but what about the knot it left in the muscle?
He felt it, thought for a second and answered: "that will go away in time... or not."
Dang my doctor is good, he was right, I still have that lump in the muscle where I was kicked. lol :)

WOW. Should have gone to the Drs TC, those big bruises can cause thrombosis which it probably did in your case. You probably needed a bit of heparin at the time. My Dad had a chronic ulcer on his lower leg for as long as I can remember that always needed dressing, it originated from a minor injury in the tropics during the war. I am a bit paranoid about lower leg injuries, look after it TC.
I'd overlook the scar TC.

Ken

Ken
Evidently, I'm lucky I didn't lose my leg. Who knew? I've had the snot kicked outta me before and it always heals, for the most part. I'm still using some sort of collagen based dressing under my bandage.

Yes, overlooking the scar. Also because of the quintessential "farmers tan" with lily white legs and I'm now sporting veins that resemble Rand McNally.:rolleyes:

Worst kick of my life was to my upper thigh when loading a 1300 lb market steer.
He felt it, thought for a second and answered: "that will go away in time... or not."
Dang my doctor is good, he was right, I still have that lump in the muscle where I was kicked. lol :)
This! Still have a lump on my left thigh from a swift sideways kick 3 years ago. Bruise spread from way upper thigh to below my knee. Surprisingly, I still have the cow but it was my fault because I was in her blind spot, holding a wad of netting.

I've got one on my thigh from a dirt bike wreck 30 years ago. I assume it's permanent lol.

Got the exact same kick back in 2011. Most F-bombs I've ever dropped at once.

This! Still have a lump on my left thigh from a swift sideways kick 3 years ago. Bruise spread from way upper thigh to below my knee. Surprisingly, I still have the cow but it was my fault because I was in her blind spot, holding a wad of netting.
She was in your blind spot..but why did she kick-up on you...was she pushed by another cow sideways?

I want to hear more of everyone's war stories on cattle kicks, pushes, step-on and squeezes. I've personally haven't had any really close calls....a few can be spirited-playful and testing of me. I try to stay alert and aware....and move cattle very slow and calm...when I sort and load. I would love to know your story and what you would have done different...so i can learn.