it has started

Help Support CattleToday:

brierpatch1974

Reaction score
The calving season that is lol. So far 15 of my 24 Branvieh cows have dropped a calf and no asssist needed so far. Great looking calves and all feeding well. Biggest one so far is a 91 pound bull Smallest has been 79 pound And the rest are all in low to mid 80's. Second biggest was 86lbs. So far I am impressed, especially with the birthing ease and the feedings.

But there is one thing thats happened that I just know can't continue. Out of 15 calves there are only three Bulls. Whats up with that? I am not complaining as I am building up my future herd but that seems well above a norm. Granted I have another 9 cows to go but this seems higher than a normal average.

I will post some pics as soon as I can. between work, kids, and cows I think I just need to throw away my watch because I sure dont have time for anything lol.

Before last year we always averaged out about 50:50. Last year we had 5 bulls for every heifer, this year we're back to 50:50.

first year I used brown swiss - three bulls 1 heifer
2nd year eight bulls three heifers
3rd year three bulls ten heifers
Average it out see what you get :)
I've found them to throw very large calves, but maybe not larger than yours; my usual dairy cross is more like 26 - 35 kg.

I'd like to see the photos. And believe me, I threw away my watch years ago and people around do nothing but complain about it. The cows tell the time of day by the sky and that's good enough for me too.

I have been having some Braunvieh calves myself. Most of my calves in the fall calved estimated average 68 lbs, one close to 80 lbs. But, this Spring has been different. On average probably about 75lbs. One being in 90 pound range on a braunvieh cow. I have about a dozen bruanvieh cows, and some pure blood charolais and few Simbra. The gestation period is definately longer on the Braunvieh. I have had no calving problems yet and have about 4 to go. My bull, a full blood, birth weight was 92lbs. Seems ok on cows, but I would not breed him to a heifer. The bull calves grow off pretty good, but the real benefit of the Braunvieh breed are the females. There is not really one heifer I want to get rid of, outside of twins on a char cow. I will have to part with a few, but it pains me to do it. This is my first year with Braunvieh, and have no regrets.

Another four calves on the ground a 2 bulls and 2 heifers. Only five more to go and so far everything is going great. I don't mind all these heifers thats for sure since I am building up the herd. I plan on building up a good braunvieh herd then crossing them with a black gelbvieh.

Its amazing how different brown swiss are from beef braunvieh. Genetics can be a funny thing when you take the same breed and go in two different directions. Besides color they dont have much in common. I am just glad my small herd is all deep dark brown and not the mousey brown of swiss. Will look better crossing them to a black ..........I hope lol

I am not having any calving difficulties yet and from everything I have read it is rare for them to have difficulties. Their birthing canal is larger than most cows and that tends to help things quite a bit.

Well all calves on the ground and no assistance needed. I am so relieved to be through with this. I know I have some good cows but anything can happen at any time and grateful nothing happend. Final numbers are 8 bulls and 16 heifers which has me very happy with building this herd up. Average weight ended up being 79 pounds.

We're FINALLY finished also. Last possible due date with clean up bull was 4-1. She calved 4-13 with a GREY heifer, white face, white bellie, white tip on tail & 2 white feet :shock: Didn't know the dam was carrying the diluter gene, but I sure do NOW!!
Can't say that we had all unassisted calves. Had one set of scrambled up twin heifers - took over 4 hours even w/ vet assistance to get them untangled & out - both dead. Other than that, rest were untouched - although we had 3 sets of twins total. Two sets heifers (all dead) and 1 set bulls which I split one off & put on other twinning cow (both calved within 10 hours of each) Tangled up twins were out of a 14 year old, so we shipped her. 15 Heifers & 24 bulls for our spring group (live). Hope our dozen fall calvers do better on the female end. But, what the hey, CASH FLOW!!! Males are a hot item!

Latest posts