It Has Begun

Help Support CattleToday:

artesianspringsfarm

Reaction score
And there is a bit of an adjustment period for all of us. 24" in last 2 days. Cow in the front is an OCC cow who was in Kansas 2 years ago. She feels a bit like Toto I think

We need the moisture and I think you do not, but I don't want to deal with 24" anytime soon!!!! :???:
It was 19 this morning, wind blowing with alot of gusts and it was cold all day due to not getting over mid 30's and all that wind. One snow storm for Christmas, then a mid 40 days and some real soaking rain and I am ready for spring already!!!! :hide:

Have you started supplementing your cows? Or is it still hay only? I can't imagine how your cows survive on nothing but hay and no cover besides a few trees. I seen it, but I still can't believe it. I've fed 3 tons of feed, and been pouring the mineral to them because it's been so cold here. But we've had zero issues of anything. Good luck and stay warm.

Supa Dexta":2wc349sp said:
Mine survive on it, switch to baleage after the new yr. No grain for the cows.
We do pretty much the same. Fall calvers and yearling heifers have been on baleage since Nov 1st though. Bulls get grass/afalfa mix. Some of the younger ones will get baleage if they look to start loosing condition. Only the fall born calves get grain in a creep, cows and bulls get none.
My biggest concern aside from that during winter is keeping nuts and bags off the cold ground!

Boot Jack Bulls":33q9c0mu said:
Supa Dexta":33q9c0mu said:
Mine survive on it, switch to baleage after the new yr. No grain for the cows.
We do pretty much the same. Fall calvers and yearling heifers have been on baleage since Nov 1st though. Bulls get grass/afalfa mix. Some of the younger ones will get baleage if they look to start loosing condition. Only the fall born calves get grain in a creep, cows and bulls get none.
My biggest concern aside from that during winter is keeping nuts and bags off the cold ground!

Artesianspringsfarm's doesn't have any built wind breaks and no bedding that I saw. His cows are fat and happy and very moderate framed for northern cattle. I wonder if his cows stay warm because their thick instead of tall?

Grit, we have to bed them. These lots have no tress and are all on the north slope of a large hill. We froze some teats years ago, and don't want to risk it. Most of our stock is frame 6 to 7 any carry plenty of condition. We do find they consume much less if well bedded (we use corn stalks most of the winter, so I don't think they eat much of the bedding). I also have to blanket my rope horses. They are in the same winter lots. They could survive without the blankets, but putting them on has cut their hay consumption through the winter more than in half the last few years....

We do not supplement at all. Nice soft snow to lay on also :). To be honest, I do think Boot Jack is probably accurate that the cost of bedding probably would be more than covered by feed saved. Just not real feasible here because of perpetual snow. Also, I do plan on doing haylage for yearlings next year to help development of potential bulls but basically the rule of thumb here is if it gets real cold or nasty, give them a little nicer 2nd cutting bale to keep them rolling. COnsumption goes way up of course.

Lol all our cows are now on hay, but still have a group of in-calf heifers grazing through 12 inches of snow. It is stockpiled, and they look to be nice and healthy. They do have shelter but no grain used here at all.

Artesian - You guys got nailed compared to us! We only got about 4-6"- really hard to judge. Wind is brutal. Open areas are still showing grass sticking thru, with drifts a foot deep. High of 11 today.
Snow is GOOD. It is our FREE bedding. It insulates the cows and they do really well. Most of our cows can get in areas out of the wind, but don't have any real protection. None can get into the woods, just low areas next to the woods.
This is our first "measurable" snowfall this year. Very late.
Cows only get hay. Mature cows are mostly getting crappy July cut dry bales, with baleage every other feeding. I'm sure that is going to hurt me in the long run, but I've got to use it someplace!
Replacement heifers & fall calves get grain (whole shell corn) and baleage.

Latest posts