It Begins

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Got calving done so time to start breeding the heifers! Our start date for breeding heifers was set for today putting our start date next year as 9/13. The plan was to freeze brand and put on heat detection patches. We were suppose to get a lot of rain today so decided to hold off on the freeze branding and just get the patches on. When we went to get them up we had three standing so it begins. We have two groups to set up for timed AI then one group of recips. This will be our first Christmas Eve and Christmas Day in ten years that we aren't giving shots to recips or donors! I have to admit that I am pretty excited about not having that chore this year.

We bred three today we now go into the morning evening AI regiment anything with a red patch in the morning gets bred tomorrow afternoon, if it goes red by evening they get bred the following morning. We will AI through 1/5/18 then turn Bulls in on the 12th.

Gizmom

Nothing like being hands on, I guess this is what your supposed to do when you retire? Your the most up to date person on records and numbers that I've met. From the looks of it you must be working day and night.

Nice BIG group of heifers.
So, you will AI through 1/5 and bull in on 12th.
If you see heifers cycling in that week, do you just ignore them? That would be difficult for me to do!!!!!
I can understand not wanting the bull to go right in on the day you might have bred one (in case he too gets in a breeding), but, with your records, you would know which ones were AI bred and they wouldn't be due for 18-21 days later.
I have used a clean up bull for only a few years. I turned him out the day after AI "season". Have been & am now 100% AI.
I just have a hard time ignoring a heat :shock:

That is an exciting bunch. Good to see you in the cage. I am further north so I started on Thanksgiving. You are lucky to be in short sleeves.

Jeanne

I know what you mean, we have something in common I hate to miss an AI opportunity so to answer the question if I see one standing I will probably go ahead and breed her. We are sorting off 10 to 15 of these to put in a group to sell after we get them bred we were heifer heavy last year and just have to dang many. The group will be sold as commercial breds.

Thanks Grit I try but I sure don't always get it right I try but as the boss sometimes tells me I could screw up a one car funeral. We have-sure nuff been busy between planting winter pasture cow sales and the holidays it has been intense. We are behind with planting, got it finished yesterday in hopes of the promised rain. We did get some last night but not near enough. They are calling for rain the next two days but at this point I will believe it when I see it.

If I don't get a Christmas tree up soon I have two little girls that are going to think GG is a grinch.

Nice group of heifers, except for the all black part! Just joking, they all look great. I just prefer reds. Have you ever raised reds, do they sell good down there?

Nice group of heifers. What are you AIing too? Rain is needed over a large area. We are hurting now.

Farmboy
We have had some color in the past, we had a group of sim-Angus heifers bred to angus bulls had some really nice reds in that group. Still have some commercial females that trace back to those reds. We are angus breeders but I am not totally breed bias. I appreciate seeing good cattle no matter the breed, all breeds bring something different to the table. I would love to have a couple shorthorns in the pasture I just think they have some cool colors.

WB
I do have the nail tech cut my nails down during breeding season, try to explain why to a girl from Vietnam!

Elk
The bulls we will be using on heifers are:
RB Nemo 716 reg# 16765791
KCF Bennett Absolute reg# 16430795
SAV Reign 6845 reg# 18578962
Buford Pathfinder C304 reg#18251463
Coleman Charlo 0256 reg#16879074
BC Matrix 4132 reg# 14159119
SAV Priority 7283 reg#15688351
Boyd New Day 8005 reg#13050780

Some of the same on the cows but also using some that carry to much birth for heifers.

Gizmom

I'm not bred bias either. A good cows a good cow! I've got two angus, one red, one black. I just like reds better, but blacks tend to bring a little more.

I really like limousin, but Firesweep's animals are swaying me towards simital.
After I use up my limo semen, I'll probably look in to getting some simital.

wbvs58":v93nq308 said:
I hope you cut your fingernails on the hand we can't see Gizmon. Hope all goes well for you.

Ken

Great comment. I keep my nails close during this time of year.

Latest posts