Is your processor full up?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bob-s

Reaction score
Yesterday I went to my processor for two reasons. Primary was to oversee as my customers pick up their meat. It is a USDA processor.

Secondary, was to make an appointment for late June. Proprietor said he was full up until next year. He said in the past few weeks they filled up. He put me on their cancellation list. We talked for a half hour. They are planning to expand their operation; more hanging space, more cutting space, less retail space.

I am now looking at several state inspected processors in the area. I hope I can find one that has a June-ish opening. I am also looking at my inventory so I can make appointments for first and second quarters of 2023.

Any one else experiencing a similar situation?

Bob

They are getting filled up in these parts too, after alot of cancellations they had alot of openings. Mid may was earliest i could get a couple hogs in. Went ahead and made my summer beef appointments.
Another place is booked until 2023, made an appointment with them just in case.

New USDA processor 20 miles up the road opened in November 2021 -- already booked til end of the year. Have 6 head going to them in August.

Most around here are 6 months out. The one USDA plant I use will work me in as I only do 2 at a time (10 this year). Some of the backup is due to some places selling out or closing their doors. Like ranchers/farmers many are getting up in age and family don't want anything do to with it. So if know one buys the business it just sits idle, or in some case tore down and becomes a new subdivision.

Latest posts