Is your price your price.

Help Support CattleToday:

highgrit

Reaction score
The how much thread made me think about a sale I lost a few weeks ago. I told a customer a price on some heifers and he made me a counter offer. I told him again the price of the heifers and he made me another counter offer. I told him I didn't have any cattle for sale and walked away. Dealing with people is my weak spot. Just wondering how some you guy's sell stuff? Do you go high and come down, or just tell them this is the price?

I'm like you HG. Talked to a guy who wants to buy some replacement heifers from me today. Been after me for two years now. I have some I plan on selling but he likes to do that price dance and I really just don't have the patience for someone like that unless he'll agree to let me add my time to the price of the cattle.

Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't...depends on how I'm feeling and the ATTITUDE of the buyer.

Take it or leave it. There's no negotiating at the check out stand at the grocery store.

Hate buying trucks. I ask for bottom dollar price out the door. Used to get the X Plan. That ticked off the salesman because he couldn't buy them for that.

Maybe you missed a sale. Maybe he missed a buy. Maybe he only wanted a bargain or to take advantage of you.

I just about always have a horse, or cow trailer here for sale. I honestly don't care if I sell it or not. If I liked it well enough to buy it, I like it we'll enough to keep it. I don't have that kind of chip on my shoulder when I'm selling it ofcourse. I do tell people that the price is firm. It usually drives people crazy. That is not my intention. I know what I have in it, and I know what I have to get out of it. Some people love a bargain, and others love to bargain.

I have bought heifers and cow and calf pairs three times in the last two and a half years. Asked one time if he could come down on price. He said no. I went on and bought.
I sold one young bull that we had raised that I did not want to sell at stockyard for slaughter. I set my price and just had to come down $50. I did not mind that as he was going to a good home.
If I were selling heifers, I would make what I thought was a fair price and stick to it.

You folks just don't got no hillbilly in you. Jo you always figure your time into the price. Bargain hunter don't have to get a bargain, they just need to think they did. You fellers sure are not ever going to get more than you wanted for any thing.

A man was looking at some heifers I had for sale a few years ago. I had told him my price, and I guess he was getting ready to try to get them cheaper so he pointed to one of the best ones and said "I wish they were all like that one." I said "Me too. Then the price would be higher." He paid my price.

i set my price.but as some have said they like to dicker and haggle.i to love dickering and haggling and i dont think very highly of people that dont.depending on my mood and if i like who im dealing with i might not walk off on a deal.but ive been known to walk off if they didnt get down right.and they knew thats why i walked and sometimes would take years for me to deal with them anymore.

highgrit":2ybp3ybz said:
The how much thread made me think about a sale I lost a few weeks ago. I told a customer a price on some heifers and he made me a counter offer. I told him again the price of the heifers and he made me another counter offer. I told him I didn't have any cattle for sale and walked away. Dealing with people is my weak spot. Just wondering how some you guy's sell stuff? Do you go high and come down, or just tell them this is the price?
I price so I can go down...when I'm buying I expect the seller to do the same....when someone is willing to give in just a little bit they always walk away thinking they got the very best deal they could have gotten in this instance. The "thing being priced" may have been worth what they were asking but if I had snapped it up at the asking price they would always have thought they priced it too cheaply. Everybody leaves happy. This doesn't apply to situations where something is just grossly overpriced and you're dealing with an idiot.

It depends. I some times price things a little high and come down enough to help with transport cost. I prefer to set a price and stick to it.

I like a ASKING price , nothing wrong with making a offer and those that get offended or walk away must not sell much private party . No its not like a super market . I'm grateful for anyone who makes a offer no matter what I'm selling . Much rather get offers than talk and tire kickers . The guy making a offer is coming with cash and a trailer prepared to buy

He asked me how much for the heifers and I told him. If someone pays your asking price that you set high, do you feel like you took advantage of the person? Or was it their fault for not trying to beat you down on the price? I need to let my son deal with the wheeler dealer types.

I always set a firm fair price on whatever I sell. Lovely wife has used car sales in her blood and loves to negotiate.

I never haggle with kids and if they are polite and show some passion they sometimes get more than the asking price.

I usually have OBO in something that I have advertised. If I receive a lot of calls and interest, I probably won't budge on my price. If calls are few and far between, I may be a bit over priced and will negotiate if I need to sell the item.
With cattle, a lot depends on the buyer. If I like them, I would be more apt to negotiate. If they show any arrogance or rub me wrong then no deal.

I always remind myself that an item or cattle are only worth what someone will pay you for them.
Not necessarily what you have invested in it/ them.

a guy yesterday wanted to trade a pistol for an Ar15. So I told him what I had and I wanted his pistol plus 200. He says he doesn't have any money but offered ammo, which I have plenty of. So I politely declined. Then he said wait, send me a pic of what you have first.
I politely declined that as well.

I set prices high and if they want to haggle they stay high. If I get along with the person and they don't want to haggle then I drop my price.
I sold a horse that way about a year ago. The first guy just irritated they crap out of me as he was trying my price before he even got a good look at the horse. I held firm until I ran him off and sold the horse for a thousand less to a really great young man three days later. He was willing to pay full price but I wanted him to hang on to his money. :lol:

Latest posts