Is this true?

Help Support CattleToday:

Kelly

Reaction score
Is it true that a steer has to have a big brisket to be considered finished and ready to send to slaughter? That is what one of the beef farmers told my husband. Is there any truth to it?

Kelly, fat deposition in cattle starts at the front and progresses back. So essentially that is true. Briskets will contain the most fat, rounds the least.

Kelly":2wzcb89z said:
Is it true that a steer has to have a big brisket to be considered finished and ready to send to slaughter? That is what one of the beef farmers told my husband. Is there any truth to it?

Yeah but, if you go entirely by looking at that you can get him too fat and you'll sacrifice retail product. I would have the beef farmer check in on him periodically and let you know when it's finished.

just becauce they have fat briskett dosent mean they are fat.i fatten and show steers at hoof & hook competitions and my last steer had a fatty briskett but when killed he had only 5mm of fat on his ribs and 8mm on his rump,it also depends on the breeding british breeds tend to have fatter brisketts and still not be finished.

Latest posts