is this some kind of record?

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
Yesterday I vaccinated and wormed my cattle before rotating pastures. I weighed the calves especially one heifer that has been out growing all the rest. Even the bulls. She is an AI calf out of a Gelbvieh bull Atlas 101N. She weighed 71 lbs at birth on 2-18-11 and she weighed 368 yesterday. That is over 4 lbs per day average on just momma. She is long and very thick already. Atlas is known to add hindquarter and she really shines in this department! Her momma raised the best heifer last year out of In Focus that weighed 877 yesterday at 13 months old. This new calf may be heavier at weaning than the one last year. This 59 cow has been an awesome calf raiser and she is only 3 years old. Lots of calves left!

Good job, are you keeping the calf. :dunce: where's my sign :lol: Now thats putting the weight on.

I won't make that decision until after weaning but if she continues the growth and her disposition is good I will keep her. There are three that look great so far that I am keeping a close eye on.

sounds like the moma needs to be flushed, I would really take a look @ her dam and sire, calf raisen like that deserves to be spread. i have a short legged long bodied e6 female that has raised a calf that is just awesome 4 moths old and pushing the 375 range, too bad she ain't registered.

thommoos":8q2pk8x2 said:
sounds like the moma needs to be flushed, I would really take a look @ her dam and sire, calf raisen like that deserves to be spread. i have a short legged long bodied e6 female that has raised a calf that is just awesome 4 moths old and pushing the 375 range, too bad she ain't registered.
ive had em that would put the pounds on em that played out early during their productive years.. even kept a few replacements from em, only to find out the hard way

I got pics f her dam and sire somewhere. Her sire is a RA bull out of King Rob. Dam is a commercial cow also RA. Here is #59 tonight. She is milking hard and not on the best pasture until next week after I bale the pasture she is headed to.
IMG00035-20110510-1726.jpg

She is one of those good natured cows that loves an ear scratching.
IMG00039-20110510-1727.jpg

The big heifer calf wasn't cooperating on a good broadside shot but here she is hiding behind momma.
IMG00048-20110510-1732.jpg

Getting a meal.
IMG00050-20110510-1733.jpg

From behind.
IMG00052-20110510-1734.jpg

Here is her 1/2 sister. She is gonna be a nice on too.
IMG00053-20110510-1735.jpg

Both heifer calves are from my A.I. efforst. They are out of a Gelbvieh bull Atlas 101N.

Black. They turn coal black by weaning or before. At least everything out of my red cows bred to homo black bulls.

This heifer just keep on growing. I weighed her today since I had to run her thru the chute anyway to rotate onto another pasture. She weighed 537 lbs. :shock: She just turned 4 months old on the 18th. She has gained just over 3 lbs per day since May 1st when she weighed 368 lbs. Her momma is holding up well.....actually over the last month and a half she has gained condition. I have no doubt that this heifer will push 800 lbs by weaning. Especially now that she and her momma have been turned out on very lush, high quality pasture. It is hard to believe that this girl only weighed 71 lbs at birth. On top of everything else she is BUILT right. By far the best heifer I have ever raised. This one is definetley staying in the herd unless something major like disposition pops up.

hillsdown":10gyhb5u said:
Just goes to prove that it doesn't take a good looking cow to raise a great calf . :)

Don't listen to her Hoss she's just being snide. ;-) That red cow is a keeper. and don't discount the contribution of King Rob. :nod: That's some good RA

3waycross":1iuored5 said:
hillsdown":1iuored5 said:
Just goes to prove that it doesn't take a good looking cow to raise a great calf . :)

Don't listen to her Hoss she's just being snide. ;-) That red cow is a keeper. and don't discount the contribution of King Rob. :nod: That's some good RA

I never said she is NOT a keeper as she would be for sure in my herd ! That is also why I have encouraged Hoss to keep on doing what he has been doing instead of buying embryos or flush cows as he has really got a he(( of a herd of beefers .

Now 3way you are very critical, way more so than me and even I can see she is too fine boned and a little pinched in the heart girth and way too much air underneath her for my/your taste. ;-)

BUT is she a keeper H$ll Yes !!!!!!!!!!!! :clap:

HD, I kind of chuckled to myself when you mentioned fine bone. This cow weighed 1,430 lbs last time I weighed her back in December. In the pic I posted in this thread she had just waded out of the pond where she was about half submerged. It does maker her look fine boned in the legs. She has flaws for sure but she is a big heavy girl and actually quite thick. I will post another pic maybe this evening for ya.

HD, as promised here is a better pic of the cow since she has gained back some condition and dry. You can see the thickness I talked about. I also took a couple more pics of the heifer calf.
IMG00149-20110626-1653.jpg

IMG00141-20110626-1647.jpg

IMG00142-20110626-1648.jpg

IMG00143-20110626-1648.jpg

Fess up Hoss. That ain't the same cow. :lol: it's amazing what a little time and a new picture will do.

Latest posts