Is THIS significant? WHY??

Help Support CattleToday:

HerefordSire":aiop04yq said:
Frankie":aiop04yq said:
This comment?
Angus bull usage increased from 39 percent to a 55 percent share of all bulls from 1994 to 2008, and nearly 70 percent of commercial cows are now considered primarily Angus.

It's apparently an estimate based on some solid information. They did ask people what breed bull they were using. I guess they just missed you.

Yes, that is the comment Doc posted that caught my attention. I think this is another case of the Angus breed trying to market a product. I am pretty sure there are millions of breeders and ranchers that did not get asked just like myself. Therefore, the information can be safely discarded.

Yep. You don't like it: discard it. And you wonder why your breed is struggling to keep registrations/membership up?

they dont have to ask,, you can see the numbers are up in feedlots and salebarns,,,, the biggest knock angus get on here, are from other purebred breeders of other breeds the commercial cattleman make up the majority and most are using angus

HerefordSire":7tawl1ie said:
Yes, that is the comment Doc posted that caught my attention. I think this is another case of the Angus breed trying to market a product. I am pretty sure there are millions of breeders and ranchers that did not get asked just like myself. Therefore, the information can be safely discarded.

Frankie":7tawl1ie said:
Yep. You don't like it: discard it. And you wonder why your breed is struggling to keep registrations/membership up?

It would be interesting to know the quantity and geographic location they have based their survey on -- it's like the "9 out of 10 dentists recommend" thing on commercials --> well, that's 90% of dentists surveyed representing well below 1% of all dentists (assuming that there are more than 1000 dentists, of course)

Frankie":zvkt53pr said:

AHA is probably worse at publishing biased information than the AAA. I try to look at the data in an unbiased way. The Hereford population has diminsished in recent history due to Angus marketing superiority and mediocre Hereford leadership. It is obvious to me Angus has superior leadership, and likely less politics, and I seriously believe Hereford generates a better product than Angus. The true test, will be the test of time, which should nullify the faddish black cattle, if I am correct.

DavisBeefmasters":3p59a2tr said:
It would be interesting to know the quantity and geographic location they have based their survey on -- it's like the "9 out of 10 dentists recommend" thing on commercials --> well, that's 90% of dentists surveyed representing well below 1% of all dentists (assuming that there are more than 1000 dentists, of course)

Good post! There is wiggling room in any data set. Give me one set of data in an attempt to prove a political point and I can arrange the data to make it appear to be on the same side as my risk position.

HerefordSire":2ojunegf said:
which should nullify the faddish black cattle, if I am correct.[/i]
A fad is like the hulahoop or pet rock, it doesn;t go on for years and years.

dun":28wpwli7 said:
HerefordSire":28wpwli7 said:

If black Angus and red Angus have the same performance, then optimum production could be globally half red and half black. But that isn't the case is it? Does that mean black Angus is a better performer than red Angus? I don't think so. Do you?

As I sit here surrounded by black cows that are 90% or better angus. I think this will have to change IF we keep striving for better WW and YW. It will be clear that they will have to crossbreed to get the most out of there dollar. I dont think angus is the answer that the AAA thought it was in 1994. They do have good promoters

I dont think Herefords are 20-30 years behind angus. I think we are knocking on the door and I plan on reaping the bennifits of that crossbred animal buy selling bulls to you angus guys. :D

Oh Yea no one ask me what kind or color bull I run. :)

If all you are pushing is weaning and yearling weight, I think you CAN do that with some of these biggest growthyest Angus sires. If you are stacking +100 YWt EPD Angus sire after +100 Angus sire after +100 Angus sire in your cow herd you ought to be reasonably satisfied with your weights IF the environment will allow using those genetics. The big effect from crossbreeding is getting a better, more fertile, longer lasting commercial momma cow. IF all they are worried about is growth, and they are educated in EPDs and Angus sire lines.....they can achieve those goals with a straightbred cow herd. I don't know that I would want to winter those kind of cows; but you don't have to crossbreed to get pounds.

Whether the data is correct or not nobody can argue that there are more black angus influenced cattle in the nation than any other breed. PERIOD! I do like herefords but there are a lot of problems within the breed and within the association that has continued their decline in the beef industry. They were king for a long time but they lost the crown due too superior marketing and a more stable, reliable breed association.

Angus have been top dog for long enough that you can no longer call it at fad. When half of the registered cattle in the nation are black angus that is far from a fad. I believe Doc's number was 70% of cattle are angus influenced and that is not far from believable when half of the registered cattle are black.

For crying out loud is the constant breed bashing of angus really worth the self satisfaction that you get? Why not use the energy for discussion that can help improve all breeds for the greater good of the industry?

HerefordSire":261inxgh said:
dun":261inxgh said:
HerefordSire":261inxgh said:

If black Angus and red Angus have the same performance, then optimum production could be globally half red and half black. But that isn't the case is it? Does that mean black Angus is a better performer than red Angus? I don't think so. Do you?
:lol2: It means that it's much easier to get a better bull in a black angus than a red because of the much larger number of black angus bulls available for purchase.

ga. prime":2r4o6uz1 said:
:lol2: It means that it's much easier to get a better bull in a black angus than a red because of the much larger number of black angus bulls available for purchase.

Well if you use that reasoning, then it's also much easier to get a lousy bull in a black angus than a red. ;-)

VanC":3ifp03b8 said:
ga. prime":3ifp03b8 said:

Well if you use that reasoning, then it's also much easier to get a lousy bull in a black angus than a red. ;-)
Probably true for someone that's a poor judge of bulls. But, if you assume as HS suggested that they're overall equal in performance, the odds would be equal! :D