is this hereford simm?

Help Support CattleToday:

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder-if she raised a good calf every year I'd probably get to lovin' er a bunch. There are some cows get old and stay looking good-some get old and look there age-thenm there's a whole whack they look alot better than they ever produce.

Northern Rancher":2hw5w9wc said:
I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder-if she raised a good calf every year I'd probably get to lovin' er a bunch. There are some cows get old and stay looking good-some get old and look there age-thenm there's a whole whack they look alot better than they ever produce.
found that to be sho nuff true :cowboy:

Northern Rancher":2k0i0wc1 said:
I'll take an ugly 16 year old that produced to the end-there's enough pretty dry three year olds to go around.

Have seen my share of them in the Holstein world, VG or EX as a 3 4 year old. Don't milk worth crap and don't breed back either . I guess it is the same in people, an all around package is an oddity .. :lol: :p

she was light boned, her daughters typically haven't been... in one of my other threads about my glebvieh calf "Mega" is one of the beefiest heifers we've ever had, it's her granddaughter... I guess I'll take the comment about "Ugliest cow I've seen" as a compliment to the bulls we've chosen and where we've gotten to with them.. back in the day when we started, we knew nothing.. we wanted to start with organically raise cattle, and that was a mistake, we should have just looked for good cows, conventionally raised... we've weeded out sooo many bad traits that now, of the 18 cows we originally bought, we're down to offspring from maybe 3 cows.. we had everything from prolapses, bad feet, bad teats, udders that dragged 3 feet behind the cow who was only 3 years old, and of course 1800 lb cows that gave 400 lb calves... these days the only cows that give us 400 lb calves are usually giving us 2 of them... I also cull for temperament... I am getting sick of fixing stretched fences, especially when they poke their heads through the first day I let them into a new field.. If they want to be mean when they calve, I better not have to do anything for them... but what I like are those that whenever I need a quart of milk, I can get it from them. Of the 40ish calves I've had from this particular line, not one has been pulled, and 2 years ago one was a 140 lb steer standing there in the morning. I think the only calves we've ever had to pull were those born hind legs first, we had one last year and one the year before... last year was a 10 year old cow, the year before was from a heifer

most of you have seen this.. the granddaughter/daughter... daughter is 1/2 shorthorn, heifer is 1/2 gelbveih at 6-7 months

IMG_0828.jpg

they sound nice :)... they keep coyotes away from the yard too, which is a good thing for the chickens... I'd like to find some more bells, I have 3 right now, but would have better music with a couple more... it's also helpful to find them if they get away on you

I was actually thinking of casting my own, but those sure are nice... always need the straps to go with them though, I made some out of old seat belts, they work nicely, they're soft and comfortable

this topic reminds me.
Did you know that "The Sounds Of Music" was based on the music the cows made in the Swiss mountainsides with their bells. Farmers had their bells made with the same "tone". Herds of cattle stayed together - seperate from other herds because they all had different "tones".
So I was told.

Dig this back up...

Since many people are saying this could be a straight hereford, I'd love to see other pictures of straight herefords that are similar...

Hillsdown... you say she has the worst feet?... strange.. her line is the only one that never needs hoof trimming (maybe once every 5 years)
I can say that her former owners were crap breeders and anything went... and we paid the price for that... but back then, we didn't know a good cow from a bad one as long as they had 4 legs

Your old cow in the pic reminds me of my first cow that my grand father gave me when I was one year old. She was 3/4 Hereford 1/4 Holstein. She died when she was 17 with a big white face heifer on her. She always milked well, we usually bought another calf from the dairy down the road and she would raise two calves. She looks fine to me, like my old cow, if she produced well every year, what more can you ask for?

What (to me) points to her not being full hereford is the fur, herefords tend to have a curly fur, while hers was rather straight, and that seems to be a dominant trait since her daughters and granddaughters all have a unique coat

Nesi , I was referring to foot angle, not necessarily hooves .BUT looking at her again it is just the way she was positioned . She does have a very long "face" but that doesn't mean anything really. Very nice stout heifer calf that you posted a pic of too . :D

BTW you live in beautiful country, it must be breath taking during sunsets and sunrises .

we dont get much color in the sky most of the time, but with the reddish rock on the other side of the river, when the sky turns red, the red cows look particularly nice.. I'm sure I mentioned it but the heifer is that cow's granddaughter...
of all the cow lines we have, this one has needed the least hoof trimming and maintenance... her daughter at 15 years old has only had a couple trims, and they spend most of their time on fairly lush pastures that don't do much for wearing them off

This year has been particularly bad for lack of sunsets... I've nearly forgotten how the sun looks, it's been miserable (for this area) weather all year, the hottest day so far has been 32C, and I remember years when we had 38C in May.. It's also been dipping down to 15C nearly every night, which isn't god for making alfalfa, and at this time of year you should be able to be out at midnight with no shirt on, and I have to wear a hoodie every night. We haven't had a week of consecutive nice days yet, and I know there have been many years with not a cloud in the sky from may to september... ah well.. nothing I can do about it