Is this calf sick?

Help Support CattleToday:

colleen

Reaction score
I have a 4 week old calf that looks healthy, nurses well. It keeps getting overheated. At least twice in one week. Temp is about 94 outside and muggy. Poop is color of brown mustard. When it was panting the first night(2 days ago). Vet said typical over heating. Wet her down. See her eating grazing playing but last night she was panting again a little, she breathes fast and does appear hotter when others are fine. Could her thermostat just not be working yet? What about poop color. Cannot catch her very easily so husband is not going to worry about it just yet. Thanks for some advice!

If she is still eating and running around, I wouldnt worry about her. sounds like heat to me too. If she gets to where she is breathing heavy, and a snotty nose, and sides sunk in, then its time to do something.
I got one that is the same way right now, bout the same age, but shes doing fine. This heat and humidity is tough on those animals.

Brown mustard sounds like maybe some scours but I'd look at the poop on the healthy ones first and see how it compares since my idea of mustard and yours may be different. Scours will dehydrate them pretty fast and once they get "sick" with it there's not many chances to turn back.
"wait and see" on baby calves is usually the wrong answer.

She is playing later in the evenings. I didnt get to see her this afternoon. My husband thinks she is fine but I worry that she is getting hotter than others because something is wrong with her. It's really hard to get her where we can take her temp and I hate to stir her up and stress her out more if it is just heat . I'm going to keep A close eye on her. If something is wrong I don't want it to go too far. Just noticed the poop today. It wasn't runny or anything, just the color of grey poupon. Thanks for the advice.

some just don't take the heat as well as others, have a few cows that breathe shallow & sometimes stand with mouth open in heat of day

Good to know. This morning my husband said it was running around with it's tail straight up!

Latest posts