Is this a sign

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8

Reaction score
Since last year, I've been trying to get someone lined up to put in a new counter top. This is after a failed attempt several years ago when I decided to tile my kitchen counter top with granite, spent 800 online, and they shipped me the wrong tile. Since I didn't order a sample piece, that voided any kind of shipping payment to get the right tile here. I used it in a closet floor and it looks spectacular...
I had Home Depot set up to do it, paid, waited.... When the cabinet company called to set up a appointment, I find out i'm suppose to have the sink installed before they can even measure, apron undermount...They gave me a 4 week time limit and this started only after they measure. Who can go 4 weeks without a kitchen...
Last week I found another company. Waited all day for them to get here yesterday, and no call today. I'm about to give up.
What I can do is make my own dam counter top. But I did not want to do this. I wanted the luxury of having someone come in and do it for me out of quartz. Spent a day in the woodshop getting a planer set up to make hexigon shaped dowels. My plan with it is to make a large butcher block type table top for a bar area out of bois d arc. It will look like honey comb. Maybe i'll just do the whole kitchen in it. ugh...will take forever but will be original...

Well if you didn't live so far away I'd give you my brothers number.

The shop I went into had so much to choose from. Decided i'd get the guy to measure and I would go back to their shop to make sure of what I wanted. And then no one shows up or calls. At least I got the house cleaned, under sink cleaned, some painting done...I get more things done if I made to wait. But if they wait too long, i'll just do it myself.

I think its the undermount apron sink that is throwing them off.... no one out here has ever done it. I also want drainboard groves made into my counter top, which, has never been done by anyone out here....

Well I had to look up the sink. It doesn't look like it would be too hard to do. With y'alls skill level you should be able to handle it. I bet the honey comb will look cool.

I've been thinking about this honey comb butcher block for years. The blade for it was only 60 bucks... Once I start cutting on them, i'll cut hundreds... Problem is, we're still working on our living area, on dining room now, and the projects just keep piling up..lol I have some stained glass things I want to make for the stairs..i have to make 14ish of them...haven't counted yet. Our son told us we need to be in perpetual redoing because its a good excuse for the house to be a mess....hum

I do the epoxy.. our fireplace hearth has it, did it before epoxy was cool..long ago. My neighbor when I was a kid showed me how to do it. My first project was a big spider I incased in it.. Wished I could find it.
Counter top guy called, measuring appointment Monday...

My hats off to you ballsy enough to work with Bo dock. Better have lots of sharp blades and plenty of hp on that planer. Be sure its dried really good it's prone for twisting and bowing. it will be one of a kind for sure I hope you let us know how it turns out (with pics)

Midtenn":1czj9n3v said:
My hats off to you ballsy enough to work with Bo dock. Better have lots of sharp blades and plenty of hp on that planer. Be sure its dried really good it's prone for twisting and bowing. it will be one of a kind for sure I hope you let us know how it turns out (with pics)
We've used it for many things. An end grain cutting board will be so durable...Its actually not that hard to work with.

D2Cat":35q0jicj said:
Some folks use it for hunting bows.
Husband made one years ago....one of the girls boyfriends broke it. Cant remember what he did, but I know husband was furious...

Speaking of homemade countertops, I've been helping a good friend make concrete countertops for a few years now. There are several different ways to do it, yesterday we made a bunch of GFRC tops. It's a strong lightweight concrete you spray on in layers. You can also make sinks as an integral part of the countertops. Pretty cool I think.

I've considered learning how to do concrete counter tops...Maybe i'll add it to my long list of projects..lol One day maybe

cowgirl8":33ugi4f7 said:
Midtenn":33ugi4f7 said:
We've used it for many things. An end grain cutting board will be so durable...Its actually not that hard to work with.

I may have to try it on some things. About all I've ever done with it was big gate posts and floored trailers. Lasts forever. Sawmills around here won't hardly saw it anymore. As far as finish work like countertops and furniture, do you have it all kiln dried ? Seems you would have to. Just seems it would dull the heck out of everything. I cut up about 5 trees yesterday and dulled 2 chains for MAYBE a half Rick of wood. Had plenty of easier trees to cut for firewood but I hate bodocks and want them gone.

We made a bathroom counter top out of it. I covered it with clear acrylic. Turned out beautiful. Husband says his sawmill loves bois d arc. He's read people have trouble cutting it, but his mill has no problems with it. We have a kiln..
You burn it in your wood stove????? THat stuff sparks like crazy. We tried burning some back in the 80s once..lol....once. It burns hot though, but sparks like crazy.
If you want to know what hard is, cut into a burl. They are like concrete...

That's all we burn in our stove. I keep a few cords stacked out back and have a few more to cut up at the farm. I keep everything from 2" diameter on up, because it puts out so much heat. I have a neighbor who have been cutting out a hedge row. He keeps all the post, piles the brush with his grapple, sells me the crooked stuff. I have some logs laying there now 28-30" at the base, 16-18' long. Make a lot of wood fast.

I'm sure the meter reader shakes her head every time she comes by. We have two meters. One for house hold use, the other for heat/AC. One meter hasn't moved this winter.

If you have a tight stove it won't spark. It only sparks when it gets a good whiff of oxygen. So I don't take long to load up a few pieces, and shut the door. The air vents have round plates on the inside of the stove to keep any sparks from flying out. Never been a problem in 35 years of burning.

We also have a stainless steel liner in the flue.

Latest posts