Is this a good idea?

Help Support CattleToday:

Lucky_P":3kncl4l3 said:
As far as I'm concerned, manure from a dairy should be considered contaminated with the Johne's Disease bacteria until proven otherwise.
M.avium subsp. paratuberculosis can survive in the environment for almost a year, under moist conditions.

Read up here: http://www.johnes.org/biology/survival.html#16

On crop fields, it wouldn't be a major concern for me, but pastures or hay ground...that'd be a big noper.

Thanks Lucky, Chuckie (hey that rhymes) and others. I think we may let him put it on the far top field, which is crops, and not on the lower pastures (he usually takes a cutting or two, and we turn cows out for a bit in the fall with polywire).

I am quite alarmed that after the cutting 2 weeks ago, a couple of fields have all but died off. In past years, the hay started to grow back instantly. We have a soil sample device we borrowed from the county ag service; need to get a test done and get a handle on it.

Is it odd it would go south so quickly? They were seemingly in nice shape last year; the ag agent suggested a test but said they looked pretty good...

Latest posts