Is this a good deal?

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep":2vtrq2bs said:
I wouldn't be too concerned about getting "new genetics" on this heifer.. 50% chance she has a bull calf which you wouldn't keep anyhow, and I don't usually keep replacement heifers from first time calvers anyhow... I'd keep it simple and just get her bred and see how she does, maybe in a year or two go look for good semen to AI her with...

I've seen others also say that they don't keep the first heifer for replacements. Is there that big of a difference between them and the next round of heifers? What are some of the problems with a first calf that make you not want to keep them?

i just priced some reg beefmaster heavy bred heifers for $2150 before they calve.and $2500 a pair.

bigbull338":3ra0neq8 said:
i just priced some reg beefmaster heavy bred heifers for $2150 before they calve.and $2500 a pair.
I hate to say it but those sound like pretty good prices at todays market

Lazy M":22upu4mq said:
bigbull338":22upu4mq said:
I hate to say it but those sound like pretty good prices at todays market
yes thats a real good price.but im going to turn them down as my friend didnt want to make 2 400mi round trips to look at and then go back and get them if we wanted them.