Is this a good cross?

Help Support CattleToday:

Roy E. Mosley Jr.

Reaction score
A friend of mine's dad bought 5 old milked out Guersney cows from a dairy & breed them to a Black Baldie Bull. 4 of the 5 calved the calves look pretty good. He say's that when they wean off he is going to send the moms down the road & use the calves as a start for a new herd.3hef.& 1bull. Do you guys think this would be a good cross or is he wasting time? They look preety good to me!!!!!!!!!

Roy E. Mosley Jr. said:
A friend of mine's dad bought 5 old milked out Guersney cows from a dairy & breed them to a Black Baldie Bull. 4 of the 5 calved the calves look pretty good. He say's that when they wean off he is going to send the moms down the road & use the calves as a start for a new herd.3hef.& 1bull. Do you guys think this would be a good cross or is he wasting time? They look preety good to me!!!!!!!!![/quot
NO COMMENT :lol: :cry: :lol: :cry: :lol: :cry:

Roy E. Mosley Jr.":a0vv5d3k said:
Why did you even make yourself known if you were just going to be ignorant about it ia4angus.
I am not quiet ignorant to use a black baldy X guernsey bull on his
black baldy X guernsey half sisters to start a herd.. But this could be as good as the Reg. Herfsteins. :p :p :p :cry:

Attempting to make a silk purse from a sows ear can get pretty expensive in the long run.

dun

la4angus":1sx1wjzr said:
Roy E. Mosley Jr.":1sx1wjzr said:
A friend of mine's dad bought 5 old milked out Guersney cows from a dairy & breed them to a Black Baldie Bull. 4 of the 5 calved the calves look pretty good. He say's that when they wean off he is going to send the moms down the road & use the calves as a start for a new herd.3hef.& 1bull. Do you guys think this would be a good cross or is he wasting time? They look preety good to me!!!!!!!!!
NO COMMENT :lol: :cry: :lol: :cry: :lol: :cry:

I think he would be better off buying older beef cows to start his herd and retain their offspring. I think this is what Dun refers to as Ozark hybrids. It has been done around here with holsteins. The major problem is that the cows milk too much for one calf an prone to udder problems. The calfs may show to much dairy to bring top dollar at market. I wish you good luck in your endeavor.

I don't know about Guernsey but when I was a youngster I would buy day old Holstien / Angus calves for $100, raise them and breed back to Angus.
The offspring was a quality looking calf with no Holstien evidence to the apperance. I don't know how they finished but they sold well at the feeder calf sale.

I don't know how long ago you were a youngster, but the buyers today want only 1&2 muscle, marginal 2's get docked all most as bad as 3's. 3's are typically dairy or strong dairy influence.
When I was a youngster we got crosses for 10 dollars, straight dairy for
2-5

dun

WILD BILL":1zvpg3fh said:
I don't know about Guernsey but when I was a youngster I would buy day old Holstien / Angus calves for $100, raise them and breed back to Angus.
The offspring was a quality looking calf with no Holstien evidence to the apperance. I don't know how they finished but they sold well at the feeder calf sale.

Dun are you suggesting that the 3/4 Angus and 1/4 Holstein calves that Wild Bill referred to would still show so much dairy influence that they would be heavily discounted? I thought the muscle, etc. on a 3/4 Angus calf would look far more like a beef calf than a dairy calf.

Maybe I should have said 15 yrs ago. I'm still a youngster. One thing I forgot to mention is with this cross you really need to watch for scours, these things will really milk.

Depends on the qulity of the bulls. Pound bulls from the sale barn generally won't do much for you in the muscle category. Generally, and remember I said generally, folks that try to get started on the cheap aren't willing to spend the money for the quality of bulls they need to really make marked improvements.
Many years ago we had a bunch of Holstein X Hereford or Angus crosses. Those heifers bred to top quality bulls threw pretty decent calves, the daughters from those crosses, once again bred to top bulls pretty much eliminated the problem with light muscle. Of course you need to remember that this was in the 60's & 70's. If you used a heavy muscling continental breed on the heifers you would probably get around it.

dun

Anonymous":1buzr1hw said:
Dun are you suggesting that the 3/4 Angus and 1/4 Holstein calves that Wild Bill referred to would still show so much dairy influence that they would be heavily discounted? I thought the muscle, etc. on a 3/4 Angus calf would look far more like a beef calf than a dairy calf.

My uncle bought a couple brown swiss/shorthorn cows several years ago. He bred them back to a charolais bull and also an angus bull and he commented that he wasn't going to try that again because the calves took longer to finish out and they weren't quite as beefy looking than his straight beef calves.

hello, have any of you tried A.I ? It's my understanding that if you bring a milk cow into a angus ,thats the best crossbreeding you can do.I dont know if thats true or not. please give me a answer. personaly i'm thinking about a shorthorn and a cho.

In south Ga. you can buy a lott of 10 to 30 holstien steers & you get pretty good for them at the market if they look real good. I usually sell mine around 5 to 600ib.

Roy E. Mosley Jr.":kc0yikxa said:

maybe if he keeps at the most 1/4 of blood of Guernsey and try a continental on those F1's should work pretty good, I have some 1/4 blood Jersey-1/4Simbrah-1/2 Limousin and look pretty good as Red commercial cows

Guersney and herdford cross bred Lim. bull. Will get redneck calves that grow like a weed. Weaned off 700lbs calves in 6months of age.

Latest posts