Is this a deal or a trap?

Help Support CattleToday:

cattlepower

Reaction score
I've found a local ad from a woman whose husband just recently died that reads: 25 Angus heifers 325-400 lbs. already weaned, need to sell ASAP, will sell all heifers for $3000. That seems to be a very good deal, right? I was thinking of buying them and taking them straight to the sale barn. If they are what the ads says they should bring at least $1.00 to .95 cwt. What do you think?

Its a local add. Call her and go see them. I know my grandma always jokes that when my grandpa dies those cattle are going straight to the sale barn. She probably doesnt care for them and just wants them gone. Maybe doesnt even know what they are worth.

i wouldn't take advantage of an old widow lady.
you might try and help her out so someone else doesn,t rip her off.

If the information is true about the woman losing her husband and needing too sell the calves, maybe a fairer thing to do is to contact her and offer to take the heifers to the sale barn and splitting the sale price maybe 80/20 or 70/30 her/you.

Otherwise it would seem to be taking advantage of a widow who may not know the value of the cattle in her time of grief. It also guarantees you something for your work. You might also sleep better. jmho.

Take a look!!!! but I wouldnt go to market until summer prices arrive. winter prices around here are terrible for calves

sounds fishy to me #1 is the price #2 is why are 325# -400# hfrs already weaned and #3any farm wife I know can tell ya what they are worth or pretty close to it anyway
make the call go look at them but I would be surprised if the ad is real or legit
and if the calves are there I wouldn't pay for them until they were loaded in my trailer

Got a friend that is a cattle jockey and he will never buy cattle from an estate. He tells the widow he will haul them to the sale barn of her choice for $xxx's per load. If he is really interested in them he bids on them there. He doe not want any thought at all that he took advantage of a widow. You might just offer to haul them for her.

kenny thomas":3db3c6qj said:
If it's true you already have waited too long. Somebody has already bought them.

The ad only has an e-mail to respond to and came out today. I responded this afternoon and haven't heard back yet. We'll see.

Having only an e-mail does sound odd. As Angus Cowman said I would only pay for them when they are loaded. Might be a problem with the estate or they might not be paid for and someone else will be looking for them.

I kinda like SRBeef's idea. Only thing is. The money comes out around .50-.65 cent .lb. If you go by weight guess and asking price. Once you spent time catching, loading, and hauling them I'm not to sure .20 cent .lb is going to be worth it.
I dont know about all yall, but my wife knows of every cent. I've tried to keep myself alittle tucked back for hard times and somehow she always knows. I guess it comes with being the woman of the house. This lady might know what they are worth but selling cheap to get them gone. She might be factoring in that she aint going to round them up or load them so passing that saveings on to the buyer.
As far as it being a trap. I would stop by a neighbor's house and ask if they know who's cattle it was. You can always check it out.

Sounds like a typo

Probably should have added or changed a number in the price.

Mistakes do happen

However - you sit around thinking on how it can be a deal or a trap instead of making the call seems a bit silly to me.

Not everyone is out to screw people.

I would have already been to the darned farm.

You best be on your way - let us know how it goes

Bez+

Bez+":2ktg6ujt said:
Sounds like a typo

Mistakes do happen

However - you sit around thinking on how it can be a deal or a trap instead of making the call seems a bit silly to me.

Bez+

It seems even more silly to me that you didn't read the whole thread as I stated there was no phone # only an e-mail to respond to. Of course I would have called immediately if there was a phone # listed. :roll:

cattlepower":25k4f0hp said:
Bez+":25k4f0hp said:
Sounds like a typo

Mistakes do happen

Bez+

It seems even more silly to me that you didn't read the whole thread as I stated there was no phone # only an e-mail to respond to. Of course I would have called immediately if there was a phone # listed. :roll:
Prolly should give Bez a break on this one, he seems to be a bit hung over this morning.....

Bez+":1j9udvk5 said:
Yup you got me there - read the first post and answered - which I admit is a failing of mine - still - I would be on this like stank on schitzen

Let us know

Bez+

Agree and I e-mailed the ad as soon as I saw it which was all I could do. Someone probably beat me to it. I'll let y'all know.

Latest posts