Is there money to be made off nurse calves?

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954

Reaction score
Before I buy a young nurse cow, from a dairy, already proven and producing milk , can you make any money on putting bottle calves on one or is it a money pit?

BK9954":2gt58bep said:
Before I buy a young nurse cow, from a dairy, already proven and producing milk , can you make any money on putting bottle calves on one or is it a money pit?

I don't have a nurse cow but have been doing ok with the ones I have been bringing in but I am not using typical methods though.

skyhightree1":2lz1jxof said:
BK9954":2lz1jxof said:

I don't have a nurse cow but have been doing ok with the ones I have been bringing in but I am not using typical methods though.
Whats yours?

BK9954":2u5jzvyw said:
skyhightree1":2u5jzvyw said:
BK9954":2u5jzvyw said:

Whats yours?

PM sent

My opinion is yes. Buy beef calves split at the sale barn. 5 nurse cows should produce a lot of calves for sale each year.

We have had this discussion many times before. You will have to frequent sale barns and pick up healthy calves at decent prices. I have chased them to a point I quit bidding. That puts you in another mess. You have a cow who needs a couple of calves. You are not able to buy calves at the time. Are you willing to milk that cow? You better be.

I made a deal with a dairy farmer to take every calf he has but I have to get them within 24 hrs of birth he lets them stay on the cow for a day then they have to go. I also buy them dirt cheap.

Latest posts