• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Is there money to be made off nurse calves?

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954

Reaction score
Before I buy a young nurse cow, from a dairy, already proven and producing milk , can you make any money on putting bottle calves on one or is it a money pit?

skyhightree1

Reaction score
BK9954":2gt58bep said:
Before I buy a young nurse cow, from a dairy, already proven and producing milk , can you make any money on putting bottle calves on one or is it a money pit?

I don't have a nurse cow but have been doing ok with the ones I have been bringing in but I am not using typical methods though.

OP
BK9954

BK9954

Reaction score
skyhightree1":2lz1jxof said:
BK9954":2lz1jxof said:

I don't have a nurse cow but have been doing ok with the ones I have been bringing in but I am not using typical methods though.
Whats yours?

skyhightree1

Reaction score
BK9954":2u5jzvyw said:
skyhightree1":2u5jzvyw said:
BK9954":2u5jzvyw said:

Whats yours?

PM sent

backhoeboogie

Reaction score
My opinion is yes. Buy beef calves split at the sale barn. 5 nurse cows should produce a lot of calves for sale each year.

We have had this discussion many times before. You will have to frequent sale barns and pick up healthy calves at decent prices. I have chased them to a point I quit bidding. That puts you in another mess. You have a cow who needs a couple of calves. You are not able to buy calves at the time. Are you willing to milk that cow? You better be.

skyhightree1

Reaction score
I made a deal with a dairy farmer to take every calf he has but I have to get them within 24 hrs of birth he lets them stay on the cow for a day then they have to go. I also buy them dirt cheap.

Latest posts