Is there any money in this business

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I am a small business owner looking to do something I've wanted to do since I was a kid...own a cattle ranch. I am about to sell my current business and move to NC and am looking for a farm. Any suggestions and is there money in raising cattle...I still have a young family to feed!

[email protected]

There is and there isn't. Hows that for covering my bases.

Overhead or capital expenditures is the toughest hurdle. If you have enough money from the sale of your business to buy the land and the herd of cows, you can do ok. Returns aren't likely to make you rich, but you can survive with a good average standard of living.

Buying quality stock at a fair price will be key to this as well. You need cattle that will perform well in NC and won't cost too much extra to get the extra pounds to sell.

Consider taxes and the amount of money you will need to sustain your standard of living, and then you will have a better idea of the size of operation you will need. 50 head will be the bare minimum, and more likely 100 to feed a family. Agriculture is getting more competetive, so size is a factor. With little potential return for invested money, running a ranch is looking better and better.

Feel free to keep asking questions, your better off to learn pros and cons now, instead of later.

Jason Trowbridge Southern Angus Farms Alberta Canada

[email protected]

Latest posts