is there a market

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

is there a market for weaned holstein steers, i am considering raising bottle feed holstein steer till they are weaned then sell is there a market for this age

[email protected]

I'm sure there is somewhere, because a lot of people raise them to that size. In the local market, weaned holsteins sell within a couple of bucks of what bottle calves sell for. Have a neighbor that used to raise Holsteins, he worked for the dairy and got them for free. With the free calves, after putting $42 of milk replacer in them, grain and hay he made a decent profit. If he had to buy the calves he figures he would break even. That's with bottle claves at 100 to 150 per head.

dun

> is there a market for weaned
> holstein steers, i am considering
> raising bottle feed holstein steer
> till they are weaned then sell is
> there a market for this age

my thinking is alot of people want to raise their on cow for meat but works outside the farm and don't have the time to bottle feed a calf, where i work on our famr and can raise a bottle calf to 200 pounds then sell. any opinions out there?

[email protected]

> my thinking is alot of people want
> to raise their on cow for meat but
> works outside the farm and don't
> have the time to bottle feed a
> calf, where i work on our famr and
> can raise a bottle calf to 200
> pounds then sell. any opinions out
> there?

I've never eaten holstien, but others on these pages have stated in the past that they are almost (but never will be) as good as Angus...Try it out and make yourself a market for them.

[email protected]

When we were finishing holstien steers we liked getting them around 300 lbs. There were less health problems at that age than the lighter ones. I still see alot of people raising bottle calves and selling them at that weight, so they must be making some money at it.

I'm in sw Michigan and there is a market but you may want to raise a little heavier. Or I know of a few guys who pay a set price per head and will cover your expenses to have you wean them.

[email protected]

Latest posts