• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

is there a market

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

is there a market for weaned holstein steers, i am considering raising bottle feed holstein steer till they are weaned then sell is there a market for this age

[email protected]

OP
A

Anonymous

I'm sure there is somewhere, because a lot of people raise them to that size. In the local market, weaned holsteins sell within a couple of bucks of what bottle calves sell for. Have a neighbor that used to raise Holsteins, he worked for the dairy and got them for free. With the free calves, after putting $42 of milk replacer in them, grain and hay he made a decent profit. If he had to buy the calves he figures he would break even. That's with bottle claves at 100 to 150 per head.

dun

> is there a market for weaned
> holstein steers, i am considering
> raising bottle feed holstein steer
> till they are weaned then sell is
> there a market for this age

OP
A

Anonymous

my thinking is alot of people want to raise their on cow for meat but works outside the farm and don't have the time to bottle feed a calf, where i work on our famr and can raise a bottle calf to 200 pounds then sell. any opinions out there?

[email protected]

OP
A

Anonymous

> my thinking is alot of people want
> to raise their on cow for meat but
> works outside the farm and don't
> have the time to bottle feed a
> calf, where i work on our famr and
> can raise a bottle calf to 200
> pounds then sell. any opinions out
> there?

I've never eaten holstien, but others on these pages have stated in the past that they are almost (but never will be) as good as Angus...Try it out and make yourself a market for them.

[email protected]

OP
A

Anonymous

When we were finishing holstien steers we liked getting them around 300 lbs. There were less health problems at that age than the lighter ones. I still see alot of people raising bottle calves and selling them at that weight, so they must be making some money at it.

OP
A

Anonymous

I'm in sw Michigan and there is a market but you may want to raise a little heavier. Or I know of a few guys who pay a set price per head and will cover your expenses to have you wean them.

[email protected]

Latest posts